Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a photo gallery titled "How I Fixed My CIU Leak" (or something like that), but I don't see any discussion about it. How does a computer leak? What does it leak? Or, is it fixing a place where rain could get into it? Where does it leak? Should one avoid having the engine cleaned/sprayed? What is this all about? :huh:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a thousand snappy answers but ...the truth.

There are two penetrations of wires and cables through the firewall below the bottom edge of the windshield and along those wires water can travel and get to the CIU and can short it out - thus the CIU wets itself and gets shorted out ( I couldn't resist that one) So if you see the black silicone smathered all over those wires then the "recall" was probably done.

The experts = Adam and Joe can fill in the blanks but I think that's the jist of it.

DH

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Making it obvious that I am not a mechanic ... Are these wires somewhere below the black plastic? The pictures in the Gallery show bare metal -- I don't see any such large bare metal areas below my windshield when I open the hood.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes - the area in question is below the black plastic. I haven't tried to take that off yet so I can't tell you how. But tomorrow I'm going to stick a lighted fiber optic inspection scope in the holes and look and see if I can see those areas easily without taking the black plastic cover off.

If not I will try to figure out how to pop the cover off.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
The cover is easy to get off, but much harder to get back on as you have to fit some short hoses into it. Might be able to do it with the help of a very skinny forearm.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The leak isnt the wires or the ciu. Water leaks into the cabin via the fresh air intake housing for the heating/air conditioning. This housing contains your cabin filter and is located under the windshield on the passenger side. When water rushes down the windshield during heavy rain it can get through this housing either by holes in the sealant that isnt thick enough or can flow directly into the filter hole. The fix is to apply a bunch more sealant around the housing and create a "dam" of sorts out of sealant down the sides to block any water from flowing directly into the filter/air inlet.
As far as the ciu, once this water comes into the cabin, it drips either directly onto the CIU or onto the harness. The wires act as a wick and draw the water into the connnector and into the processor which shorts out as a result. You typically dont get any warning signs. Radio/nav etc stops working or you get a bunch of feedback in speakers.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds nasty. But, the Tech from my dealer says that fix was applied to my car as it was a late one (2114). So, I'll wash with less trepidation, now. :)

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
I don't think the fix was ever applied to production cars I'm not a 100% sure . You can actually do a pretty good job of sealing the housing without removing the cowling . If you remove the pollen filter are get strip chalking or Burtly tape there is enough room to squeeze you hand around the housing to lay some in .

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He said it was done right after it came off the ship in NJ. He seemed pretty certain, and specific.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I washed it today. Nothing high pressure, but certainly water flowing down the windshield. All seems good! It's gorgeous!! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
HOW TO REMOVE CIU?

I need to take out this broken New CIU, that Fisker dealer put in... They would not help me so need to get help from you guys. If easy enough I will take out myself and ship this POS so I can install the old one.

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts