Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My NAV does not load. I've owned car for a week, never loaded as far as I'm aware.
The software is supposedly 535.
I'm not sure if the CIU is damaged or needs to be flashed.
I've been through a non-touch high pressure car wash twice...so I have no idea if water got into the dashboard and shorted the CIU or if the NAV never worked. Can you help me diagnose?
And should I never ever take it to a car wash? Are we supposed to only hand wash with low pressure hoses?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
My NAV does not load. I've owned car for a week, never loaded as far as I'm aware.
The software is supposedly 535.
I'm not sure if the CIU is damaged or needs to be flashed.
I've been through a non-touch high pressure car wash twice...so I have no idea if water got into the dashboard and shorted the CIU or if the NAV never worked. Can you help me diagnose?
And should I never ever take it to a car wash? Are we supposed to only hand wash with low pressure hoses?
Sorry to channel Captain Obvious here, but did your Karma come with Nav? Is it an Echo Sport or Echo Chic? Does it have a backup Camera?

When you are driving, do you get a compass heading on the top line of your speedo, on the opposite side of the outside temperature? If you are not getting that, then the GPS Nav hardware in your car is not working correctly because that information is generated from the GPS data.

Finally, there is a known leak problem in the Karmas from the fresh air intake, which is located under the windhsheild wipers. The leak is readily fixed with silicone caulking. You can find more discussion of this topic in other threads such as this one, and this one. Because of this potential leak, and to protect your paint, it's probably a good idea to avoid using a high pressure hose, at around the scuttle.

Good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Fabulist. It's an EcoSport with backup. I'm going to check if I see a compass and let you know.
Also, do you apply the silicone from under the car (hoist) or just from the hood?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Why not just take this car to a certified dealer near you and verify your updates, CIU and have them waterproof it. Although maybe best to do before a purchase just take it to a trusted service center and have them sort it out the right way from the start so you get off on the right for with this car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Fabulist. It's an EcoSport with backup. I'm going to check if I see a compass and let you know.
Also, do you apply the silicone from under the car (hoist) or just from the hood?
I found the photos of CIU seal leak fix in the photo gallery...but I guess I should wait to find out if I need a new CIU before applying the silicone

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not just take this car to a certified dealer near you and verify your updates, CIU and have them waterproof it. Although maybe best to do before a purchase just take it to a trusted service center and have them sort it out the right way from the start so you get off on the right for with this car.
I see that you are in Michigan, I'm across the river in Windsor. Who's the actual CSP guy at Karma Troy (1755 Maplelawn Drive)...Ryan Ransom or is he just service manager?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I see that you are in Michigan, I'm across the river in Windsor. Who's the actual CSP guy at Karma Troy (1755 Maplelawn Drive)...Ryan Ransom or is he just service manager?
They can fix it there - he is the service manager a nice guy.

I personally trailered my car to Joe in New Jersey for the one repair it needed.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Does that line mean I don't have NAV or that the GPS is not working?
If it does not start showing a heading after a few minutes of driving, then either the GPS, or the infotainment computer (CIU) is not working. Even the cars without the full NAV feature show heading information, so there is definitely something wrong here.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Fabulist, I'm not getting that compass. There is just a line on top left.

I had this exact display.
The problem was a lose gps cable in the trunk, right from the speaker, behind the carpet peace...

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
More than likely your CIU has had some water damage it's probably to late now and try drying it out . But that involves removing the CIU . At this point your description makes me feel your CIU is shot . Even with the water ingress fix I still would avoid car wash places

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked for loose wires in the trunk (right side). Didn't see or feel any.

Would the water-damage to the CIU be so selective? Everything else seems to be working with the CIU, notwithstanding the typical moodiness of bluetooth, climate control...

Is their a tell-tale sign of a "fried" CIU? And how much would a replacement cost?

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
If the Nav is the only thing that's not loading that yes I would try a software reload wouldn't hurt.The CIU usually dies after using a high pressure washer spraying into the cowling or driving in a bad rain storm.
As far as price it depends on the CSP you bring it too. The CIU has to be reloaded with software and installed.Plus the cost of the CIU your looking at least $2000.00 the CIU is becoming a rare part and the prices will only go up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts