Fisker Buzz Forums banner

Chrome window trim

11K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Tigga 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone

so i was washing my car the other day and noticed the chrome on the outer driver side door was pealing. I spoke to my local dealer and they want almost $2,000.00 to replace the back and front drivers side.

I was wondering if anyone has done this before, and if so, is removing the chrome trim difficult. For the price of a new one i can remove the trim and get it re chromed

any info or how to would be greatly appreciated

thanks

#5 ·
I've said it elsewhere, and I'll repeat it again here: that trim is total garbage!

There must be a way to vinyl wrap them (remove, wrap, and reinstall). Besides saving $$$ on that part (which will just peel again), you can customize - carbon fiber, matte black or something complementing your paint color. I have a feeling wrapping would cost less than the $700 in parts alone, and should last forever.

Has anyone here done this?

#7 ·
Sorry for the delay guys was on holidays last week.

i am thinking of either taking them off and having them re chromed or wrapped as well. Does anyone know a step by step for taking the chrome off? im sure i can figure it out but would rather save some time if any of you have done it before.

any help would be great

thanks

#11 · (Edited)
I wrapped my trims along with the front and back of the solar roof carbon fiber. Looks more aggressive without the chrome. Might change it to chrome wrap instead later on.

Attachments

#17 ·
Hi,

Can anybody tell how to take off the trim without bending or damaging. Just some instructions which I can forward to my workshop so that they know how to proceed.

I have to do something about mine, trim doesn't look good anymore.

Thanks

#19 ·
Well done JackDakota!! Thanks for posting and the link!
Sha and Fisker Slo: note that JackD said he didn't take the trim off.

In another post I described my satisfaction with wrapping the top panels before/after the solar roof (which I think is ESSENTIAL), but knowing there is a DIY way to similarly wrap these piece of crap trim pieces is very encouraging.

I think that with Shadow paint (tan), the chrome might look better, but chrome wrap would be much less forgiving, especially if you are going over trim that is all cracked and flaking.

#21 ·
I have decided to strip mine down myself and paint them myself using Alsa Techs Easy Chrome. If anyone is interested in the results, I will post pictures or a video.

Take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK0etoWJINY

Interesting, I can't wait to see the result... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Usually I’m always skeptical with products like spray or paint chrome with big claims but I do hope that this works.

Take a look at this video before ordering and applying the product...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.