Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my fisker about 4 months ago and dealer gave me a 110 plug in charger, is that all I need or should I upgrade to a bigger one. Also I heard that with the 110 it won't charge completely. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
829 Posts
The 110v charger should get your batteries up to 50 stealth miles ok, but I thoroughly recommend you get a level 2 (220-240 volt) charger. First, it will cut the time for recharging in half which I find is easily worth the few hundred dollars it costs. Basically you'll get 10 stealth miles per hour from a Level 2 charger. Second, if your battery needs cell balancing, it is more likely to be initiated and completed using a Level 2 charger than the 110 volt (level 1) charger. You can get ones that install against the wall, or that plug into a 220 volt outlet (like electric clothes driers do). But, you'll want to be sure to have it installed on its own 30 Amp circuit.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I bought my fisker about 4 months ago and dealer gave me a 110 plug in charger, is that all I need or should I upgrade to a bigger one. Also I heard that with the 110 it won't charge completely. Thanks for any help
Where are you located? If you are in Europe, your portable charger is already using 220V and you may be able to get by without a 220V charger. In the US, a 220V charger would cut the charging time significantly and would be a great addition to your new Karma.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have used a 110 charger for 3.5 years and have had no issues. It will take 12 plus hours to fully charge a depleted HV battery and I occasionally leave it on to give the HV batteries an extended charge to enable rebalancing. I am now installing a 220 charger but will use it only to rapid charge as a convenience. It is my understanding that the 110 charge is the most energy efficient. It is a "trickle" that takes time but has a low energy consumption profile. I am in Canada.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Ah. Sorry for any inadvertent ethnocentrism. The text of the original message sounded American to me. And "poolside" probably puts him in CA, AZ, or FL (maybe HI)! :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ah. Sorry for any inadvertent ethnocentrism. The text of the original message sounded American to me. And "poolside" probably puts him in CA, AZ, or FL (maybe HI)! :)
That's the beauty of this Karma experience. We are all in this together. We are a cooperative model that may serve as a broader metaphor.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Actually, calling it a 110 charger, as opposed to something like portable or included charger does sound like the OP is in the US, but I just wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the BIG State of TEXAS
Thanks for the replies my tech said I needed to upgrade my 110 charger to 220 for the battery. Sorry my advisor at frank kent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts