Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it take your car to charge from 0?

I'm going through my first charge right now, and it's taking forever! After 6 1/2 hours, it shows that I have 15 miles worth of charge; so, roughly 30%. At this rate, a full charge will take 20 hours!

What I'm trying to determine is whether:

(a) it's not accurate when you look at it while charge;

(b) the charger or charger port is faulty;

(c) the outlet in the garage is faulty (that's a $1.50 fix, so that'd be fine); or

(d) it really just takes 20 hours to charge.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops, I jumped the gun and posted this before realizing there was a whole section for Charging. Sorry, that's what I get for posting late at night.

Mods, please feel free to move this :)

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
How long does it take your car to charge from 0?

I'm going through my first charge right now, and it's taking forever! After 6 1/2 hours, it shows that I have 15 miles worth of charge; so, roughly 30%. At this rate, a full charge will take 20 hours!

What I'm trying to determine is whether:

(a) it's not accurate when you look at it while charge;

(b) the charger or charger port is faulty;

(c) the outlet in the garage is faulty (that's a $1.50 fix, so that'd be fine); or

(d) it really just takes 20 hours to charge.
Charging at 110V (Level I) is very slow and takes around 16 hours at maximum draw (12 AMPS), and even longer if the charger has to stop down the draw if the circuit cannot provide the full 12 AMPS. In addition, the portable units that came with the Karma have a fairly high failure rate and are not very durable. This should be a last resort at home and for topping up while you are away. It is not a viable permanent charging option.

Charging at 240V (Level II) is the preferred method for charging. Zero miles (15% SOC) to full charge takes about 5.5 hours at Level II. You can do this at public chargers offered by Chargepoint, Blink, etc., and at home by installing a Level II charger permanently, or installing a dryer-type plug and using a portable Level II charger.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh, I gotcha. I'm in Smalltown USA, so I don't think there's a Chargepoint within 200 miles of here (honestly, there probably aren't 5 electric cars in the county). I doubt I can find an electrician that's familiar with Level II, either, so it looks like I'll be installing a dryer plug in the garage.

Yay! LOL

·
Registered
79 Posts
Charging at 110V (Level I) is very slow and takes around 16 hours at maximum draw (12 AMPS), and even longer if the charger has to stop down the draw if the circuit cannot provide the full 12 AMPS. In addition, the portable units that came with the Karma have a fairly high failure rate and are not very durable. This should be a last resort at home and for topping up while you are away. It is not a viable permanent charging option.

Charging at 240V (Level II) is the preferred method for charging. Zero miles (15% SOC) to full charge takes about 5.5 hours at Level II. You can do this at public chargers offered by Chargepoint, Blink, etc., and at home by installing a Level II charger permanently, or installing a dryer-type plug and using a portable Level II charger.
Now you got me scared - is there anectotal evidence to the fragility of the 110V charger?

I can live with a 12 hour charge cycle, I did not intend to add a level ll charger - am I doomed? :huh:

I also figured slow charging is better for battery life, i.e. limiting or reducing battery enemy number one - heat.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Just buy a Schneider level 2 charger from Home Depot.com. Call your electrician, any electrician and have him install a dryer outlet in your garage. Also tell him to bring a "pigtail" to connect to your charger. You can then plug your Schneider in and charge your car in 5 hours. Save your 110 charger for when you are away from home.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yup, get the Schneider Electric from Homedepot.com. *Just make sure you get the right one* There is a version that is certified for the Karma and one that is not. Read the fine print.

Any electrician worth his/her salt ought be able to wire one of these bad boys up.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I picked up the same Schneider Electric 240V charger from Amazon. $599.99 plus free 2-day shipping with Amazon Prime. Had it installed last Saturday morning and no more "car swapping" in my garage. The unit also has a delay feature but I haven't tested it out yet.

·
Registered
913 Posts
If your electrician does not know what a "Level II charger" is, just say: "same thing as electric driver, electric range, or central air conditioner: a 30 or 40 or 50 amp circuit at 240 volts."

The Karma does not benefit from anything over a basic 30-amp (electric dryer) circuit but if you have a newer model Leaf, or a Tesla, or are planning to get one of those, you might want to go for 40 or more amps. (The Tesla can suck down as much as you care to throw at it.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
110V Charger fully charges the car in approx. 10 - 12 hrs. I plug it in at home in the evening and it's fully charged in the morning. Have been doing this for 9 months with no problems except recently the Fisker charger failed so I've brought a Nissan Leaf 110V charger and had no problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts