Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i charge the car with the normal 120 v charger, i get about 3.5 miles of range back per hour.
i do not have my own 220volt charger at home, and therefore only hooked up to one in the wild. my favorite exterior chargers are 'chargepoint' altho i have used blink and some other one i dont remember.

when i have used chargepoint, and there is another car at that point (chargepoint have charging stations with 2 charger pistols available), then the car charges at a 3.3 KV rate and i get about 7.2 miles of range per hour.

however, this last week, i was charging at a chargepoint alone, and the unit indicated that i was receiving 6.6kv, and i was fully loaded to the 50 miles range in a shorter period than i expected - i had not timed it since i was not expecting it. i thought the car was only able to receive at 3.3kv, and yet it seems to have received at the higher rate and it charged faster accordingly.

an an extra data point: i have changed the fuse to the 630A big one.

was i overpowering the system ? should i avoid chargepoints that deliver at 6.6kv? or is this all ok?

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I'm in the same boat I usually use the 120v LV1 tickle charger that comes with it... unless I'm out & about using the chargepoint LV2 stations. Mine usually charges at 3.64kw to 3.67kw on the CPoint station. I would love to upgrade the slow charging system to 6.67kw(seems to b available according to power source website) & DC 30 min charging if possible.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
The 120v I recently noticed gives me 6% of charge every hr. Which is too slow😣

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fwiw, i did some more searching on the site, and apparently the reason why my car can take the 6.6kw charge is because i changed out the fuse. so its all good.

anybody else confirm this?

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Simply, commercial 220VAC chargers are split on the transformer's output. Therefore when there is a load on multiple legs or the Y or Delta transformer, the current/power is shared. So if you are charging with no other companion vehicle, then the current/power is greater when you are charging alone. This is not uncommon.

120VAC outlets are usually 15 t0 20 Amps and charge about 3 miles per hour. My 220VVAC Level 2 charger is on a 30 Amp Circuit and will charge about 10 miles per hour. If you have sufficient capacity at your home electrical panel 220VAC is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
fwiw, i did some more searching on the site, and apparently the reason why my car can take the 6.6kw charge is because i changed out the fuse. so its all good.

Changing out the fuse was a waste of money it does nothing the car can only two ways as you noticed at 3.3 or 6.6 give or take a few volts the slower charge rate is due to 110 volt supply that’s the best it can do . The other is due to 220 that’s we always recommend using a 220 charger .
I also notice the car seems to have less charge issues on 220 . Also you might not be aware that what you plug into the car is really just a interface the charging unit the OBCM is located behind the rear bumper.
Also the car was designed to charge on 440 volts but we don’t have the infurstucture to charge at that rate and can’t confirm it actually can

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changing out the fuse was a waste of money it does nothing the car can only two ways as you noticed at 3.3 or 6.6 give or take a few volts the slower charge rate is due to 110 volt supply that’s the best it can do . The other is due to 220 that’s we always recommend using a 220 charger .
I also notice the car seems to have less charge issues on 220 . Also you might not be aware that what you plug into the car is really just a interface the charging unit the OBCM is located behind the rear bumper.
Also the car was designed to charge on 440 volts but we don’t have the infurstucture to charge at that rate and can’t confirm it actually can
ok.
since i plan to eventually install a TOM-20 unit, i consider the fuse the first step to get there, so its worth it to me.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
On 3 phase power the Karma is only capable of single phase charging (208v @ 18a). If you have a 277v/480v supply it may be possible to charge at 250v @ 18a or 4.5kw(not taking into consideration losses) but a 277v NEMA outlet/supply is hard to find.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts

How did you change the fuse?:huh:

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
ok.
since i plan to eventually install a TOM-20 unit, i consider the fuse the first step to get there, so its worth it to me.
Likewise 🙂 have u noticed any other benefits from the fuse replacement?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts