Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the few days I've noticed a fan noise running when I go to unplug my Karma in the morning. It's coming from the front right side of the nose and blowing cool air from the right side intake port below the headlight.

This is a recent development and I've checked the car a few times mid charge and the fan seems to be always running.

I checked the forum and a few posts mentioned shutting down the climate system before plugging in which I've done, but the fan persists.

I've got a low vin #885 and I'm worried it might be a faulty fan. What's strange is that it's only started happening recently. Prior to this the car was charging silently. I'm into week 4 of ownership. Car had 140km on purchase, so basically new but was probably sitting idle for some time.

The car is parked in an underground garage that maintains a temperature of about 17 degrees celsius.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I think we spoke about this, just let the vehicle go to sleep before plugging the car in. If you forget and notice later the fan is still running, simply unplug the charger, count to 10, then plug it back in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lormax, did as you suggested and unplugged. Counted to 20 and when I plugged the car back in it was silent for about 10 seconds and then the fan kicked in again.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Either the coolant is actually hot enough that it needs to be cooled by the fan while its charging (since it's being routed through the charging module which gets hot), or the charging module temp sensor is faulty, sending the wrong temperature and turning the fan on.

·
Registered
483 Posts
When you plug the car in and the fan comes on, without touching anything, does it continue to run after 2-3 minutes?

Does the battery charge at all?

Will it charge fully to 100% from at least 50% or lower SOC?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
8AVGMPG yes the fan runs after a few minutes and the battery is charging. I will let you know if it gets to 100% - I'm not sure as this just happened.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So let it charge overnight and came down to find fan still running and only 50 % charged. Seems like I have more of a problem than I thought. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
More then likely you have a defective OBCM first sign of a bad OBCM is the cooling fans running when the car is cold and plugged in .The only other question is has the car ever charged fully without the fans running

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
If t was a problem from the beginning I would suggest another check .The only other thing that would need to be checked and that has to be done at a Fisker dealership is the live data showing the internal temperture of the OBCM

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fan / Charging update: Decided to see what happened over a few days driving and charging. Here's what I noticed.

Had not driven the car for a few days. Plugged it in at about 40% charge for an overnight recharge. To my surprise the fan noise did not come on. I returned to the car in the morning, the fan was now running and the battery had only charged to about 75% - way below the usual for a 9 hour charge off 110v outlet.

Drove the car and ran the charge down to about 50% - plugged in for the night and the fan came on after 10 seconds. Left the car for an overnight charge, fan was still running in the morning and car had charged to about 80%.

This charging issue only started when the fan noise started so I'm assuming they are linked. Based on the comments I'm going to have the OBCM checked, but if there's anything else I should tell the technician, I'm happy to point them in the right direction.

On a separate note, since I'm going to be taking the car in, I'm going to have the heating in electric mode looked at. I can't get warm air into the car unless I run in Sport, and I think this is a common problem for lower VIN cars (mine is #000885) - Does anyone have the specific description of the faulty unit that causes this.

Many thanks in advance and thanks for this amazing community of Fisker owners and fans.

·
Registered
483 Posts
OBCM coolant valve/pigtail harness is bad.

Basically, a valve that opens up when you plug in the car is not opening to allow coolant to flow through the OBCM. After a short period of time the OBCM overheats and will disable charging until it cools down. This is why the fan comes on but not necessarily right away.

The OBCM itself is fine and this could simply be a case where the wire leads have backed out of the valve's electrical connector. Its a really common issue & the valve is relatively inexpensive if it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks 8AVGMPG, I will pass this on to the service folks as a possible solution. Any thoughts to the lack of warm air in Stealth mode?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks 8AVGMPG, I will pass this on to the service folks as a possible solution. Any thoughts to the lack of warm air in Stealth mode?
Your car probably doesn't have the updated hvac module which can be updated with better software and allow proper operation of the hvac system. it's a pretty cheap part too

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
8AVGMPG regarding the OBCM valve issue, is this something I can get access to myself or does the car need to be lifted to get access?

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
8AVGMPG regarding the OBCM valve issue, is this something I can get access to myself or does the car need to be lifted to get access?
The rear bumper needs to come off or the lower rear bumper valance needs to be removed . The valve is located next too the OBCM I personally haven't had a problem with the valve that being referenced too but early on the wires for the valve were wrong but those car had a problem from the start . Your car seems to have the problem surface over time. One problem with the valve wiring Fisker didn't use a connector to hold the wires into the valve they used silicone glue so if the wires have come loose your going to need to get out all the old silicone . The replacement part is a hose with the valve all ready installed and the valve doesn't come with the short pig tail harness . Really stupid design . If they used a connector that held the wires in place that would of solved some future problems but then again that would make sense

1 - 20 of 48 Posts