Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this forum.
I have just bought a fisker from the United States and she is on her way to Europe.
Since I would like to be able to charge it with a European Charger (230V) instead of the (110V) I have bought a new charger to it.
The problem is when I was trying to plug it in for a test the power light comes on amber and the power fault on red? What is that means is that because it is not connected to the car or it is broken?
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
859 Posts
A power fault is usually associated with a bad or missing ground connection. Also, you should have a second charger in the trunk of your new Fisker. It's rated at 110v-220V/50-60 cycles. (You'll need to get a 110v to 220v adaptor to use the charger that comes with the car.) The adaptor has been discussed elsewhere on the forum.

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
A power fault is usually associated with a bad or missing ground connection. Also, you should have a second charger in the trunk of your new Fisker. It's rated at 110v-220V/50-60 cycles. (You'll need to get a 110v to 220v adaptor to use the charger that comes with the car.) The adaptor has been discussed elsewhere on the forum.

Enjoy your new ride!
To clarify, you just need a plug adaptor such as this one, as long as it can handle the 12A current that the charger draws, to use the US charger in Europe. It automatically adjusts to 220V as long as you use the correct plug. You don't need to get a voltage converter, just a plug adaptor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for the replies.
I dont have the original charger which came with the car because that was only 110v and I told the guy that I would rather swap it to European one. So that is the only one I have. :(
I have red the manual that "P90XMC2" linked me (thanks for it) and it says that the Power Fault red means that either caused by the improper grounding or missing earth ground. What is that mean (sorry I am not native English)
I have noticed that the travel adapter i have says 10A ~ 250V and the fiskers charger cable says 13A 250V ~ could that be the problem?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Sounds like the plug you're attaching it to isn't grounded correctly. You may need an electrician to take a look at the wiring at the house to confirm whether or not the area you're plugging it into is setup correctly for the charger.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Lormax is right. In the first photo you posted you show a 2-prong adapter. That will never work. The charger's plug and the wall socket must both have 3 prongs.

In layman's terms having a good ground can keep you from getting electrocuted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much for all the HELP!! One of my friend is an electrician and next time he comes over I'll ask him to take a look at it.
One more question. Which lights should be on and on what color if it is working properly? just for me to know that it is safe to plug it into the car.
Thanks for the help again for all of you!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Hi Hi Morrisadam,
My charger does not look like yours... but just in case you were not instructed, always plug in the charger first, wait for the green lights, and then plug the charger into your car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank You all very much!
I will keep this post updated and tell about the result, as soon as I got it fixed, and get the car here. Still 3 weeks left.
Thanks again :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello All, I have promised that I will keep you updated about the charger, so I have.
The plug needed to be replaced entirely now its only the Amber Power light which is on.
The whole repair thing cost me $12 :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts