Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that my Karma's charger is dead. When plugged in, the lights don't come on, the button does nothing. It was charging the car and just stopped working.

Has anyone had this happen before? Where do I get a new one?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
It appears that my Karma's charger is dead. When plugged in, the lights don't come on, the button does nothing. It was charging the car and just stopped working.

Has anyone had this happen before? Where do I get a new one?
If you are talking about the portable charger that comes with the car, they tend to have a relatively high failure rate. The good news is that you don't have to buy a Fisker branded portable charger. Any J1772 Level - 1 or Level 1 & 2 charger will work with the Karma. Clippercreek seems to be a popular brand among Fisker owners, but you can use any brand as long as it supports the J1772 standard.

If you absolutely have to have the Fisker branded one because you want to keep your car original, you could probably buy one from the company. I think they use the same one for the Revero.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are talking about the portable charger that comes with the car, they tend to have a relatively high failure rate. The good news is that you don't have to buy a Fisker branded portable charger. Any J1772 Level - 1 or Level 1 & 2 charger will work with the Karma. Clippercreek seems to be a popular brand among Fisker owners, but you can use any brand as long as it supports the J1772 standard.

If you absolutely have to have the Fisker branded one because you want to keep your car original, you could probably buy one from the company. I think they use the same one for the Revero.
Yes I am talking about the portable charger that came with the car. Interesting that they have had a high failure rate. The one on my Volt stopped working as well. Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Yes I am talking about the portable charger that came with the car. Interesting that they have had a high failure rate. The one on my Volt stopped working as well. Thanks for the help!
The Karma brick draws 12A and takes about 12 hours to fully charge the car. That's a lot of power going through a relatively small device, and they are often exposed to water when they are used outdoors. Unless they are very well made, they succumb to the working conditions. Fortunately, there are a lot of options available these days, and you don't have to get one from Fisker. You can even get a dual voltage one like this one that you can use for Level I and Level II charging (using a dryer plug) for both your Volt and your Karma.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had one that failed so I opened it up to find out what had happened. To my surprise, the incoming wiring had literally melted. The control board, although scorched around the connection, was fine. I replaced the incoming cord with a heavy 10ga extension cord that I cut the end off and then soldered it in. It works great, but it was really just an experiment. I had already purchased a new one, so now this one sits in a drawer as a back up.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
the lear wall charger uses the same board as the high failure rate portable charger. Scam regardless, would get a high quality clipper creek or other EVSE vs Lear PS... Lear also made the problematic body controller and key fob that throws several errors. Poetic Justice

·
Registered
34 Posts
Been using AV,s 240V Turbocord ,see Fabulist above, for about 13 mo. 0-50 Chrg about 5 hrs. Typically only put 15 to 25 mi on a day and plug it in when I get home. Use Sta-Bil as last time I refueled was July 16'. Size is very convenient and easy to use. Has many cycles on it as plugged in & charging daily and shows no wear or breakdown. They even offer a two in one unit of same basic size tho I would use my 110V if on the road and unable 220. YMMV. SS

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been using AV,s 240V Turbocord ,see Fabulist above, for about 13 mo. 0-50 Chrg about 5 hrs. Typically only put 15 to 25 mi on a day and plug it in when I get home. Use Sta-Bil as last time I refueled was July 16'. Size is very convenient and easy to use. Has many cycles on it as plugged in & charging daily and shows no wear or breakdown. They even offer a two in one unit of same basic size tho I would use my 110V if on the road and unable 220. YMMV. SS
I just ordered the Clippercreek LCS-20 model which is what they recommend for a Fisker. I'll let you all know how it works. I too use the 110v portable charger every day. Probably why the OEM one wore out.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
I just ordered the Clippercreek LCS-20 model which is what they recommend for a Fisker. I'll let you all know how it works. I too use the 110v portable charger every day. Probably why the OEM one wore out.
CLipper creeks are good quality EVSE's I have one from 2009 that I still use everyday. I have a box full of the Lear's (probably 7-8 of them) that are pure junk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts