Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a Karma question, I promise :)

I recently had to "upgrade" from my wonderful Samsung Galaxy S to an S6 Edge, because the S was longer being supported by my provider, and most apps wouldn't install anymore. Which sucks because, frankly, I loved the Galaxy S. It fit in my pocket well, and I loved the pull-out keyboard. And if I needed it while in the car (not while driving, of course), I could sit it in the cup holder just fine.

But now I have an S6 Edge, which is a good 30% larger than the S. There's not a chance of it fitting in my pocket now, and if I did manage to squeeze it in there then I couldn't sit down with it in my pocket. But when it's not in my pocket, I can't just throw it in my cup holder like before because it doesn't fit.

I could throw it in the center console, but that's a bit annoying for short trips. I could put it in the map pocket, but then it's going to slide around everywhere. I could buy a mount, but the ones I've seen look pretty intrusive. So far, my only option has been to sit it in the back seat and try to remember it when I get out.

I've thought about looking for some black foam to fill up my map pocket, then cut a slit just for the phone.

What do you guys do with your shiny, new, impossibly huge phones while in the car?

·
Registered
334 Posts

I recently had to "upgrade" from my wonderful Samsung Galaxy S to an S6 Edge, because the S was longer being supported by my provider, and most apps wouldn't install anymore. Which sucks because, frankly, I loved the Galaxy S. It fit in my pocket well, and I loved the pull-out keyboard. And if I needed it while in the car (not while driving, of course), I could sit it in the cup holder just fine.

But now I have an S6 Edge, which is a good 30% larger than the S. There's not a chance of it fitting in my pocket now, and if I did manage to squeeze it in there then I couldn't sit down with it in my pocket. But when it's not in my pocket, I can't just throw it in my cup holder like before because it doesn't fit.

I could throw it in the center console, but that's a bit annoying for short trips. I could put it in the map pocket, but then it's going to slide around everywhere. I could buy a mount, but the ones I've seen look pretty intrusive. So far, my only option has been to sit it in the back seat and try to remember it when I get out.

I've thought about looking for some black foam to fill up my map pocket, then cut a slit just for the phone.

What do you guys do with your shiny, new, impossibly huge phones while in the car?
I have a Galaxy Note 4 with a softshell rubber case. I just put it on the clear plastic window to the battery. It fits pretty well and doesn't slide around.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have one of these that I put on the flat plexi-glass in front of the cup holders (I keep it on the far right to keep it from interfering with using the touch screen (much). It sticks in place, and you can either just lay your phone in it, or actually put it standing up (to use navigation). It's also pretty good to keep sunglasses or things still on the only flat (but totally slick) spot to put things in the whole car.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/car-dash-mount-holder-for-smartphone-mobile/161090611.html

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts

I faced a similar problem when I went (reluctantly) from my Iphone 5s to an Iphone 6, which is just large enough (when in a protective case) to not to fit in the cup holder.

After considering many different options, I got one of
. It is a sticky pad that fits perfectly over the battery window and securely grips the phone when you put it on it. Works great. Note that that the pad is not glued to the window and can be removed at any time for cleaning of if you want to check to see that your battery is still there.

I miss the battery light show, but the Disco PRND is sufficiently entertaining to make up for it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Isn't it funny that during early cell phone days, they used to boast about them being smaller and smaller and now we are going in completely different direction. The smart phones like iphones are getting rediculously bigger to the point that they are intrusive and not really potable any more. The new iphones are more like mini ipads than phones and the amount of stuff they try to pack into these things is a joke. Anyhow, I am sticking with my 5s for as long as I can as I don't like these darn big new iphones. If I wanted to carry a laptop in my pockets, I would have bought one lol.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The need to work on a fold-able screen, so you could use it normally for every day, but always have an option to unfold it and double your screen space. The older I get, the more I need bigger characters/buttons. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I hear you!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We already have reasonably priced laser projected keyboards:

http://www.lightinthebox.com/icyber...&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&sku=441_7392

With any luck, it's just a matter of time before phones are little more than a flash drive with a built in projector, letting us project a keyboard and screen on to any solid object. We have the technology already, we just need someone to market it.

I had a nice long rant written up, but then it didn't post because my token had expired >:-( Regardless, I ordered one of those sticky mats last night, so hopefully that will solve this week's problem! Thanks for the input, all!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Cell Phone Holder for Karma

I have made several versions for a few different phones in the past. Now that I have the Karma part created I can modify the design for any phone.

Samsung S3/4: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:319865

iPhone6: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1148179

Samsung S5: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:439209

Picture of one of my first versions with S4:
https://picasaweb.google.com/114842993658395516587/FiskerKarma02#6219757063790795970

Only uses one cup holder and it just sits in there so its easy to lift out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ok - that just totally shames us all... Pretty cool.

How do I get one for my iPhone?

Great work
There are a couple ways to get one made if you have a iPhone6. Via thingiverse you can request a print and it will send you to some 3D printing companies that will make one for you for not a lot of money. I have a couple extra that I printed for the iPhone6, Samsung 4 and 5 if you want one. I keep a couple extra in my Karma just in case I meet up with someone at a car meet who is interested in one.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
There are a couple ways to get one made if you have a iPhone6. Via thingiverse you can request a print and it will send you to some 3D printing companies that will make one for you for not a lot of money. I have a couple extra that I printed for the iPhone6, Samsung 4 and 5 if you want one. I keep a couple extra in my Karma just in case I meet up with someone at a car meet who is interested in one.
The issue for me is that I have a bumper and cover on my Iphone6 which I don't want to take off each time I put the phone in the holder. Do you know any designs that allow for the cover?

·
Registered
114 Posts
A cover is easy to accommodate, just need to know how much the bumper increases the size of the phone. If I have someone in my office with a similar cover I could get the dimensions.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts