Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I press the button on my remote to unlock, open trunk or anything else it doesn't work.

I tried the manual key option i.e. taking the key out and opening the passenger side door and that also didn't work.

When I plug the charger in it just says "Waiting for vehicle to start charging" so charging doesn't seem to work either.

Any ideas on how to open the car or figure out what's going on?

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
When I press the button on my remote to unlock, open trunk or anything else it doesn't work.

I tried the manual key option i.e. taking the key out and opening the passenger side door and that also didn't work.

When I plug the charger in it just says "Waiting for vehicle to start charging" so charging doesn't seem to work either.

Any ideas on how to open the car or figure out what's going on?
Sounds like a problem with the 12V battery. May have to charge the 12V battery or use a second battery to boost it to wake up the car.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
As Fabulist said, the 12V battery is most likely dead. Try the manual key again and don't be afraid to use a bit of force to turn it, it can take a bit to open it. Once it's open, you can reach over, pop the hood and check the voltage. You'll also be able to jump it if you need to.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help!

I tried turning using more force and it worked :)

Called AAA to come and jump start the car, hopefully that will work.

If I get it going should I leave it running for a while or take it for a drive to make sure the battery gets charged? Or should I get the battery replaced?

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks for the help!

I tried turning using more force and it worked :)

Called AAA to come and jump start the car, hopefully that will work.

If I get it going should I leave it running for a while or take it for a drive to make sure the battery gets charged? Or should I get the battery replaced?

Thanks again for your help!
Once you get the car started, leave it running for 20-30 minutes to recharge the battery before driving.

Was the car sitting for an extended amount of time? If so you may want to invest in a trickle charger for when it is not being used for longer than 2 weeks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
so ---Is the car back in running order?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sadly no :(

They tried to jumpstart and it didn't work. After connecting it the engine wouldn't start. Gave a warning about 12v battery being critical but also another error about parking error or something like that. I couldn't get it into gear and drive.

Maybe I should have just left it running for 20-30 mins or something...

Anyway had to get it towed to the dealer. Hopefully it is just the low battery and they can reset the system and get it running.

Thanks for all the help and support!

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh and yes this happened after it was sitting unplugged for one week. I normally have a chargepoint charger plugged into it but didn't this time :(

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The chargepoint charger would've only been charging the 12V battery while the HV battery was being charged.

·
Registered
164 Posts
@Lormax: Any idea why the system was designed with separated 12v circuit (12V battery) and main battery charger? It would seem fairly logical that while charging main battery Karma would also look at the state of 12V battery and charge it from main battery if needed… otherwise we will soon have dead cars if 12V battery is not charged separately while Karma is sitting a bit longer in the garage…

And by the way, I was able to source out driver side rear mirror from Emil Frey Europe for measly 1800 use including 21 percent VAT. It got damaged when car in opposite direction drove into it. So message to everyone - rearview mirrors are not cheap!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
@Antonin: That sounds like $2450 in US Dollars. That's absolutely INSANE.

For the other question, I couldn't say "why", but I can get into the specifics of how it works, though it's also been explained elsewhere on the forums. The basics, the contactors are closed in the HV battery when charging is happening. This allows the APM to run, which uses the HV battery to charge the 12V battery. Once the HV battery is full, the contactors open, shutting off the connection to the APM. A basic battery tender can be used to keep your 12V battery charged. I don't know about Europe, but they can be sourced here in the US at most local auto parts stores.

I know of at least one Karma owner who is also a Ferrari owner. Anytime he parks his Ferrari it's plugged into the tender he had wired up specifically for it. For your daily driver, there's no need. For your garage queen/minimal use car, it's a good idea. The 12V issue isn't a Karma-specific problem.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
For the other question, I couldn't say "why", but I can get into the specifics of how it works, though it's also been explained elsewhere on the forums.
There are a number of threads discussing this question. For example this one, and this one. There are a lot of helpful posts from actual experts who contribute to this forum.

·
Registered
164 Posts
@Antonin: That sounds like $2450 in US Dollars. That's absolutely INSANE.

Sorry, there was typo, it is 1800 USD for full mirror. Consists of three parts - glass (about 400 USD, back plastic cover in car's paint, and frame assembly with tilting mechanism).

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
On the high side the cost to replace the complete mirror in the USA runs about $1500.00 I think the cover is $450.00 just for the cover without paint and they aren't available from Fisker .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts