Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to park the Karma and plug it in at a Chargepoint station. While it's charging I want to turn the car on, aux and get heat to stay warm. Can this be done while charging?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I need to park the Karma and plug it in at a Chargepoint station. While it's charging I want to turn the car on, aux and get heat to stay warm. Can this be done while charging?
Yes; Also, you can very easily test this at home with your own charger. The car behaves the same whether it is plugged into the portable charger or a public charger. Be sure to lock the doors.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Also if someone is dumb enough to sit on the car with the windows closed on a really hot day, after about 5 minutes, the Karma will automatically send air through the vents using the solar panels for power.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Yes; Also, you can very easily test this at home with your own charger. The car behaves the same whether it is plugged into the portable charger or a public charger. Be sure to lock the doors.

Sorry, this doesn't work for me.
I tried to put the heater on in the morning. I had to start the car, which only works if unplugged.
The drawback: to get the car war, it takes about 15 km battery 😫

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Sorry, this doesn't work for me.
I tried to put the heater on in the morning. I had to start the car, which only works if unplugged.
The drawback: to get the car war, it takes about 15 km battery 😫

@Stefan, I just tried this and it works. Here is proof:

My car is plugged in and I put in ACC mode (Press Start without Holding down Brake Pedal). Here is the energy flow screen showin "Charging Mode"

Also showing the "plug" icon and charging activity on the instrument panel:

I then selected heat on the CLIMATE screen:

And after making the appropriate noises, hot air began coming out of the vents.

Note that there is no power being used from the battery, but the battery is not being charged either. I think the heater uses up all the power available (3.3KW).

I also did the same test in Ready mode and with/without A/C (Snowflake) icon turned on. The results were the same.

I did not leave the heater on very long and the heater may eventually time out, but I can confirm that it definitely starts heating the car when connected to shore power. In my experience, the car does go into both ACC and Ready modes while plugged in, it just does not allow you to put the car in "D" until you unplug the car.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Speedometer Vehicle Gauge Motor vehicle Tachometer
Some interesting more/other signs:
Shows no gas, even that is is at 80%
Shows CEL in ACC
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Also shows loading
Plant Wheel Vehicle Car Font
...and heating... and a lot of fan noise... but no warm air at all.

Everything else works as you described it.
How long did your Hester run to bring hot air?
You are in SF. Why didn't you engage the parking brakes?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
View attachment 10049
Some interesting more/other signs:
Shows no gas, even that is is at 80%
Shows CEL in ACC
Mine does the same thing, but only for a few seconds. If you leave it in ACC mode, the CEL will go away. You can also start the car in Ready mode and get a normal display.

View attachment 10065
...and heating... and a lot of fan noise... but no warm air at all.
You need to select either "Auto" or Heat If you look at my photos, you will see the Heat icon turned on (highlighted below). Without selecting "Auto" or Heat, all you get is the fan.

Everything else works as you described it.
How long did your Hester run to bring hot air?
You are in SF. Why didn't you engage the parking brakes?
LOL. Parked at home. It's perfectly level.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
@Stefan, Did you get a chance to try this? Just curious.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
888 Posts
In my display (you got the special one!), in Auto mode, the heater and snowflake symbols are on...
I also switched the snowflake off, in which case, Auto also switches off, leaving heater on... still no hot air.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
In my display (you got the special one!), in Auto mode, the heater and snowflake symbols are on...
I also switched the snowflake off, in which case, Auto also switches off, leaving heater on... still no hot air.
How long did you test it? I think in electric heat mode, an electric heater warms up the engine coolant and may take a while before you get any actual heat. Obviously something is using the full 3.3KW charging current. You may need to leave it for a while and let the coolant heat up.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
I had tried some time ago, and it would not go to heat. I had only selected the temperature, assuming heat would be Automatic. Will have to try later when it cools off. Right now, its 70+ in my Garage. Atlanta was 74 on Christmas day.... go figure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts