Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This tech could be useful in the Karma!

http://www.leftlanenews.com/noise-cancelation-to-keep-elrs-cabin-whisper-quiet.html

Cadillac's upcoming ELR promises to be whisper quiet when operating in pure electric mode, but that silence could be broken when the car's gas-generator eventually kicks on. In order to ensure that doesn't happen, Cadillac is working on a noise canceling system that should keep the ELR's cabin luxury car quiet at all times.

Similar to the technology used in noise canceling headphones, the ELR's system uses three microphones through the cabin to detect unwanted frequencies. The system also monitors the engine for speeds that could produce noises or vibrations.

The system then calculates the appropriate noise-canceling signal and sends it through the ELR's Bose audio system.

“Acoustic refinement is an important attribute of every Cadillac interior, and ELR is no exception,” said Chris Thomason, ELR vehicle chief engineer. “Considering how quiet the car is during pure-electric driving we knew the generator sound had to be as pleasant as possible, and we were able to achieve it with active noise canceling.”

The decision to use the noise canceling system also helped to keep the ELR's weight as low as possible. The typical solution for reducing cabin noise is adding noise deadening material, which can carry a significant weight penalty.

The 2014 Cadillac ELR will arrive in dealer showrooms in January with a starting price of $75,995.

Read more at http://www.leftlanenews.com/noise-c...-cabin-whisper-quiet.html#4UsjhX5Hy5bXDmLV.99

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
Can wait to "hear" how it performs -- could be a good after market for the KArma!!! now if we canonly change the curent sound track to roar like a lamborgini engine rather the the jetson sound and tune it to match the rev of the ICE -- that would be a nice to have

·
Registered
289 Posts
Can wait to "hear" how it performs -- could be a good after market for the KArma!!! now if we canonly change the curent sound track to roar like a lamborgini engine rather the the jetson sound and tune it to match the rev of the ICE -- that would be a nice to have
you can try it today on a 2013 Honda Accord, ford and buick are lso gonna have cars with that "technology"

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I bought a first-generation active noise cancelling headphone back in 1994 and had to return it very quickly because I would start feeling nauseous after using it for a while. Their best guess was that the phase of the anti-noise signal in one of the earbuds was drifting enough for the phase difference between my right and left ears to affect my inner ear's balancing mechanism. I have not had this problem with current generation headphones, but I can imagine that in a car, with the occupants ears constantly moving relative to the speakers, and constantly this may become a real problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts