Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - I have decided I can no longer ignore the beautiful looks of the Karma. I am selling my 2014 Panamera Turbo and getting a Karma for a daily driver.

This board is a great resource - Thank you

A few questions that I cannot find specifically here

1. I am considering a car with Vin # xxxx 1070 - should I get a higher VIN # or is 1070 high enough? I have researched and all updates have been done on the car. Car has 7000 miles.

2. A plug in 220v charger for my garage - do I care if it is Fisker branded or will any charger work just as well?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok - I have decided I can no longer ignore the beautiful looks of the Karma. I am selling my 2014 Panamera Turbo and getting a Karma for a daily driver.

This board is a great resource - Thank you

A few questions that I cannot find specifically here

1. I am considering a car with Vin # xxxx 1070 - should I get a higher VIN # or is 1070 high enough? I have researched and all updates have been done on the car. Car has 7000 miles.

2. A plug in 220v charger for my garage - do I care if it is Fisker branded or will any charger work just as well?

Thank you in advance.
Hi there - I just made the same choice of going with the karma over the panamera, great choice ;)

1. Get a high vin with good Erving records
2. Checkout the buyers checklist on the forum, main page.
3. Check the vin against the recall database , link also on the forum
4. Schneider electric or clipper creek - Schneider makes one on sale now at Home Depot for $500
5. Buy it and be prepared to be stopped everywhere with questions , and jaw drops :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
@supratrboo - good advice.
@DHH - If you haven't already, I would add that you should PM @FiskerPhilly or @Harleyguy with the full VIN you are looking at. I believe they can tell you if any other service/recalls were done. Not to doubt your sources, but if the dealer/seller told you everything was done, you should get a second and third opinion.

Also, I would highly recommend you drive the car before buying it. If possible, have a Fisker trained mechanic drive it with you and ideally, have them plug into the OBD port and read the history of the car. They can check the battery health and whether any serious codes have been thrown off by the car. If they can't join you in person, perhaps they can send you a laptop to read the codes (Lormax used to do this I believe??).

As for low, medium or high VIN number, that is a frequent topic of discussion. I'll allow the experts to weigh in on that one, it's been debated many times.

Good luck - you will love the car! Just take your time and get the right one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Erving records?

is 1070 a high enough VIN or should I go higher?
Typo , meant maintenance records. As long as the records are there recalls done and follow the buyers checklist . I would also reach out to some of the master techs on this board that can do a pre purchase inspection.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My plan is to fly out and drive it early next week - I checked the recall website and all updates have been completed. As for a laptop and OBD reading - I would gladly pay a tech and his/her airfare to do that.

Thank you - any techs that I could contact would be appreciated.

DH

·
Registered
59 Posts
[/URL][/IMG]

Sold my Panny turbo about 6 months ago and bought the Karma
MY panny was pretty much a one off car and would generate a lot of attention but nothing like the KARMA does!
I miss only the crazy fast acceleration of the PTT, nothing with 4 doors beats it for off the line quickness (lol)

best of luck
just be patient and get the right KARMA!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As long at it runs and is reliable I can handle quirky - but I would probably have to get rid of it the first time I get stranded in it!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've enjoyed every minute of mine thus far. The board here is a great source of information with lot's of passionate owners. The techs who respond on this owners forum are amazing (HARLEYGUY LORMAX FISKER PHILLY) I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the KARMA and will be bombarded with questions from on lookers once an owner.
best of luck
feel free to pm with any ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anything above VIN X500 is probably ok, but a lower VIN with all the work done could do just as well as a high VIN that was neglected.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts

Thank you in advance.

@DHH, while you got a lot of answers to your Q1, I could not find an answer to your Q2.

The answer is: Don't buy the Fisker branded chargers. They have not been the most reliable. Any SAE J 1772 Compliant charger should work fine with the Karma. Check out the "Charging and Chargers" thread for more specific recommendations. I think Clipper Creek is the current favorite, but there are many others with all sorts of features that you could select based on your needs and price point.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Last question - so the command center display - although ergonomically challenged is it reliable? Does it crash often ? Or did the latest the last software update resolve the stability issues?

Thanks.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ever since 510 it's fairly stable. (It == command center) I've only had it crash hard once that I recall; I've had it fail to come up at all (gets stuck on Fisker logo, no "accept" button) once or twice; the ipod-becomes-USB thing still happens at times, etc.

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
fairly stable, but I have similar issues as ct-Fiskerbuzz. the iPhone BT works pretty good, but sometime you lose the selection function from the steering column, the phone I've BT still crackles. never used the USB. the nav sucks most of the time - worst I ever used, so I use my iPhone or ipad. the user setting work 80% of the time? I found that if I keep the 12v on trickle and have a full battery combined with following a pre determined start up procedure. press start with no foot on break, the setting work 99% of the time. every other function works pretty well, it's just slow sometimes ..

·
Registered
334 Posts
I can echo most of what Nin ja and ct-fiskerbuzz experience. My one lesson learned is that if I wait for the battery and fuel indicators to light up before I press the Start button, the Accept button shows up and everything on the touch screen seems to work pretty well from there.

One difference....I don't charge my battery every night though.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you everyone - thanks to all. Joe and Adam were very helpful also - their insights are much appreciated. I may have to put them on a retainer!

I am picking my car up Friday and will keep it in addition to my Panamera Turbo for now and then go from there.

I'm excited to get it. Actually can wait.

Doug

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thank you everyone - thanks to all. Joe and Adam were very helpful also - their insights are much appreciated. I may have to put them on a retainer!

I am picking my car up Friday and will keep it in addition to my Panamera Turbo for now and then go from there.

I'm excited to get it. Actually can wait.

Doug
Congrats! Pics or it never happened.

Prediction: You'll sell the Panamera within 3-6 months.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts