Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, guys, let's get specific. I've read several posts saying to avoid brushless automatic car washes, but no real explanation of WHY.

I live in a fairly rural area near the mountains, and our roads are always fairly dirty, so I'll need to wash it at least once a week. It's not realistic for me to hand wash the car every time, though, and after seeing so many pictures of damaged paint I don't know that I'm comfortable taking it to a local wash & wax place.

Why shouldn't I take it through a brushless automatic that just sprays on soap, rinses it off, then uses filtered water for a "spot-free rinse"?

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Most "brushless" car washes use "high power" spray. In some cases they are fairly close to the car. A couple of risk, IMO: The Nav and Sat radio are in the mirrors. You don't want those exposed to high pressure spray. You will see a number of post here on potential water damage to components in the front due to high pressure spray as well.

Understand your issue, but the risk seem much greater than just the paint. I'll leave the more technical rationale to the forum experts.

·
EV Enthusiast
110 Posts
There's also the issue of water intrusion that could damage your CIU. There are several posts on this.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's also the issue of water intrusion that could damage your CIU. There are several posts on this.
Can you suggest what I might search for to find info on this? I searched for "water ciu", but didn't see anything related.

It seems like I'm in a catch 22; not washing it is going to ruin the paint, but washing it is also going to ruin the paint... or worse.

What's the advantage for high end cars to have soft clear coats? One would think that a $100k car would be built so that it's virtually impossible to scratch, not the other way around!

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I have had my Karma since December 2011. I never wash it myself. I take it to the local car wash and pay them $30 to hand wash it. I do not have any swirl marks in the sun etc. I also have the dealer detail it when I bring it in for service once a year. I have a feeling you are a little too worried, and you made the guy at your dealership worried that you wouldn't be happy so he bailed on you. I'm sure the guy who works on paint jobs every day was capable of doing this job.

·
EV Enthusiast
110 Posts
Can you suggest what I might search for to find info on this? I searched for "water ciu", but didn't see anything related.

It seems like I'm in a catch 22; not washing it is going to ruin the paint, but washing it is also going to ruin the paint... or worse.

What's the advantage for high end cars to have soft clear coats? One would think that a $100k car would be built so that it's virtually impossible to scratch, not the other way around!
Here's the link to one of them

http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/27-fisker-karma-modifications/8026-ciu-why-not-relocate.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts