Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
What those black arrows caused the problem :huh:
Yes, the additional weight of the ink probably created an imbalance that ultimately led to the springs breaking. If only they had drawn 4 arrows, this would have never happened. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are the ICE/GEN couplers problematic because they were poorly designed or is this a wear item like a clutch plate on manual transmission cars?

Are the replacement parts being used now more robust and therefore will last longer?

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
Are the ICE/GEN couplers problematic because they were poorly designed or is this a wear item like a clutch plate on manual transmission cars?

Are the replacement parts being used now more robust and therefore will last longer?
It's not a wear item.

I don't know if the incidence of failure is high enough to call it a poor design but I know how I'd feel if it was mine that broke.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Let's put it this way: GM considered the same design and went with a hydraulic one instead due to reliability concerns.

Or, consider this quote from Nikola Tesla, written more than 100 years ago:
While, in the practice of the invention I may employ any kind of spring or elastic body of which the law or principle of operation above defined holds true, I prefer to use an air spring, or generally speaking a confined body or cushion of an elastic fluid, as the mechanical difficulties in the use of ordinary or metallic springs are serious, owing mainly, to their tendency to break.
http://www.teslauniverse.com/nikola-tesla/patents/us-patent-514169-reciprocating-engine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts