Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
latest software . IS THERE ANY OTHER way to get it brighter,, with sunglass during the day hard to see the navigation
work very well at night . look like its night mode all the time:D

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
The problem is that the polarizers on the LCD screen are at the wrong orientation for polarized sun glasses. I brought this to their attention about a year and a half ago. They are aware of the issue but I'm guessing that we're out of luck in getting our display updated. I am currently using non-polarized sun glasses for driving.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
The problem is that the polarizers on the LCD screen are at the wrong orientation for polarized sun glasses. I brought this to their attention about a year and a half ago. They are aware of the issue but I'm guessing that we're out of luck in getting our display updated. I am currently using non-polarized sun glasses for driving.
Same here. Non-polarized sunglasses work fine. Alternatively, you can tilt your head to right or left as much as your neck can stretch, as close to 90 degrees as you can, to line up the polarization planes of your glasses and the display to see it better.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Same here. Non-polarized sunglasses work fine. Alternatively, you can tilt your head to right or left as much as your neck can stretch, as close to 90 degrees as you can, to line up the polarization planes of your glasses and the display to see it better.
I did exactly what you said, tilting my neck close to 90 degrees, and now the GPS roads do not match the actual driving roads. :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the echo standard display way better brightness than the echo chic.. in day time i can see the energy flow screen with polarized sun-glass very clear :)
i wish the standard come with navigation but its locked ..
i compared both cars side by side ,, both with same software
the standard has superior display very bright ..

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'd love to see pictures that show that. The standards I've seen look just like the other trim levels.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ill take some pictures .. driving standard at night long drive i had to lower the brightness ..

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
376 Posts
This is a noob question, but how do you set the screen brightness? It is not in the manual.

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
376 Posts
Of course, now I got back to the manual again, I see interior dimming settings. So that's probably it. Apologies...

So what is "PARADE"?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I don't know if we have any scientists in the house, but I wonder: if you put a polarizing film over the display (like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111402462547?lpid=82&chn=ps), would the triple-polarizing cancel out the problem? Only costs $20 for someone to find out.

Since you would want it as light as possible, I wonder if for this experiment you could use a piece of the film from front-windshield tinting (not sure if it's polarized material though).

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Now that Fisker is back up and running the owners should get together and write a letter to Fisker requesting this software to be released . A group email

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I don't know if we have any scientists in the house, but I wonder: if you put a polarizing film over the display (like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111402462547?lpid=82&chn=ps), would the triple-polarizing cancel out the problem? Only costs $20 for someone to find out.

Since you would want it as light as possible, I wonder if for this experiment you could use a piece of the film from front-windshield tinting (not sure if it's polarized material though).
I used to be a Principal Engineer in a LCD company and I've designed many LCD displays. In order to "fix" the display in the Karma you would need to replace it. The polarization angle on the display is WRONG and not compatible with polarized sun glasses. A LCD display has two polarizes, one in front and one in back. Once the display is built you can't change the polarization angle. I mentioned this to my dealer and to a Fisker factory guy back before the bankruptcy and they agreed on my assessment of the issue and said that they would provide a new display if the problem got fixed (I'm not holding my breath). Adding any additional layers to the display will only make matters worse, and in fact, could interfere with the touch sensitivity. I currently use non-polarized sun glasses while driving for this very reason, as I can't see the display with polarized sun glasses unless I tilt my head to a weird angle.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I used to be a Principal Engineer in a LCD company and I've designed many LCD displays. In order to "fix" the display in the Karma you would need to replace it. The polarization angle on the display is WRONG and not compatible with polarized sun glasses. A LCD display has two polarizes, one in front and one in back. Once the display is built you can't change the polarization angle. I mentioned this to my dealer and to a Fisker factory guy back before the bankruptcy and they agreed on my assessment of the issue and said that they would provide a new display if the problem got fixed (I'm not holding my breath). Adding any additional layers to the display will only make matters worse, and in fact, could interfere with the touch sensitivity. I currently use non-polarized sun glasses while driving for this very reason, as I can't see the display with polarized sun glasses unless I tilt my head to a weird angle.
Even better than a scientist in the house!
Good answer - thanks, and no polarized glasses in the cockpit for me.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hang in there maybe the new software that's going to correct that problem will be coming outn
After reading Marswill's previous posts on this, I bought non-polarized sunglasses to use in my Karma. However, there are still times where direct sunlight on the screen pretty much washes things out completely.

I doubt the new Fisker (eLux?) will be replacing the screens in existing Karmas, unless it's an optional upgrade. My guess is it would be pretty expensive between parts and labor. So sounds like the majority of us need to hold out hope for the new software to increase the brightness settings, and maybe make the glare problem go away, or at least minimize the issue. However, I would be surprised if we see the new software for our cars before sometime in 2016. Hope I'm wrong!

·
Registered
101 Posts
It needs to be a color display, not monochrome. Elux might use a different monitor, I am sure it is just a different part. I saw the same size display on a 2014 Bentley, not sure if it was color though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts