Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yay, a new quirk! :-/

I don't really know how to describe this. About a week ago, I discovered that when I press my brakes kind of hard (not slamming on them, but like if I'm going 55mph and need to stop at a red light) the brakes kind of... slip.

I'll try to describe it the best that I can:

1. It feels like the brakes just go from being pressed to not being pressed at all for about 1 second, then all of a sudden they kick in at the same pressure as before. So for a brief second, you feel the car jump forward.

2. I've noticed that it happens when the "Generate" bar is pretty far to the left. When it jumps, the Generate bar jumps straight up for a second, then rotates left quickly back to where it was.

3. It doesn't seem to matter whether I'm in Stealth or Sport mode, or whether I'm in Hill mode.

4. I get no warnings from the infotainment system when this happens.

A few other potentially pertinent details:

1. I replaced the tires about 2 months ago, back to original Goodyear F1 Supercars. The local GM dealership replaced the tires. I doubt that it's related since everything was fine for 6-7 weeks, but still.

2. Back in September I think that lightning ran in on the charger, so it's running entirely on gas now. From an earlier thread, I believe the #5 contact is bad, but I haven't had the time or money to haul it to Florida or Philly and get it fixed.

But, it's worth pointing out that it WILL charge if I go down a significant hill, just not when it's plugged in to a 110 (I haven't tested a 220). The CEL stays on either way, though.

3. I thought the problem might be with the electronic stability control, but I can't get it to turn off so I have no way of testing it.

3. The car has around 17,000 miles on it, 8,000 of which are mine in the last year and a half. The weather here is cold but not freezing (around 40 degrees), and whether it's wet or dry doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It's a common issue that will be resolved in 530 sw. The regenerative braking generates too much current to charge the battery when the battery is cold. So you will see your generate gauge go up then cut off. The generated electricity is too much for a cold battery to accept so it abruptly shuts off regen and switches to hydraulic braking. That's the slip/skip you feel. It feels like a patch of ice. Then it gradually comes back to regen. Nothing broken. My Karma does it every day now that it's getting cold up here.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I thought the problem might be with the electronic stability control, but I can't get it to turn off so I have no way of testing it.
To turn off the ESC, hold the button down for 3 seconds. This is a safety feature required by the Feds.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Good to know. It happened to me for the first and second time in just this week. I thought that might be what they were talking about fixing in 530. It only happened with a light turned yellow in my face, and I decided I wasn't quite close enough hand had to stop harder than usual.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
If you just "changed back" to Goodyear Super Tires, there are most likely more than 4 years old. Check the manufacturing date code. There are known slipping while slow turning issues with the Goodyear Supers. If I understand correctly, they only made the initial Fisker run of the tires in 2011. Most of those still on the market were sold a low wholesale prices to get rid of the inventory. For that reason, I moved to the Yokohoma's that eliminated the side slippage and jerky stopping motion. The Yoko's are a little noisier, but was a great trade-off for me, not to mention they are all season - not Summer.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I've had this herky-jerky slipping with my OEM GY tires while making full turns (especially on wet or uneven pavement.) I also had slipping while crabbing sideways into my driveway to avoid bottoming out the front fascia.

Just for grins, I turned off the ESC today and the problem went away. I'll play with this some more, but at the moment it looks like the combo of ESC enabled & OEM GY tires is the culprit.

·
Registered
829 Posts
If you just "changed back" to Goodyear Super Tires, there are most likely more than 4 years old. Check the manufacturing date code. There are known slipping while slow turning issues with the Goodyear Supers. If I understand correctly, they only made the initial Fisker run of the tires in 2011. Most of those still on the market were sold a low wholesale prices to get rid of the inventory. For that reason, I moved to the Yokohoma's that eliminated the side slippage and jerky stopping motion. The Yoko's are a little noisier, but was a great trade-off for me, not to mention they are all season - not Summer.
KA says that we can order 2015 made Goodyears from them through a CSP.

·
Registered
829 Posts
From the KA site:

My posting ...

Yesterday, 06:19 PM

Just looking for an update KarmaNews . Is my CSP able to order (documented!!) 2015 Goodyear F-1's from you now? I'm getting within a month or two of wanting a full set. Too hot here in Phoenix to trust a 5300lb baby to dried out, 4-year old tires.

KARMANEWS COMMENTED
Today, 09:55 AM
Hello JCMorrill,
Karma Automotive has tires in stock so it shouldn't be any problem.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Date codes would be helpful! Have a few Karma's that need new 22" tires. I have been hoarding the 22" tires from Tire Rack that were produced during the original Karma run. Let us know what you find. Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FYI, turning off ESC made no impact (thanks for the explanation on how to do that, Ira). I'm glad to know it's not a big issue, though! It reminds me way too much of when I was 16 and my POS of the week had a bad master cylinder. All I can imagine is that I'll be driving down hill towards a red light and the rear end of another car, and suddenly the brakes give out and there's no hand brake backup!

As for the tires, I really didn't have much of a choice in the matter. I had a blow-out in the rear passenger tire, and nowhere within 100 miles of me could get either the Goodyear or the Yoko's immediately. It took a month to get the GY's, and by then I was just ready to get whatever they had.

I tried to look at my mfg date tonight, but it's 21 degrees so I gave up looking after a few seconds :-O I'll look again tomorrow during the day, I'm curious just how old they really are.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did, sorry I failed to acknowledge it! That's what I meant when I said that I was glad to know it's not a big issue. I should have been more clear.

There's no one within 100 miles of here that can do the software update, so whenever I get the time and money to have #5 contact replaced I'll have to update, too. If not for ridiculous insurance and property tax payments I'd have done it already :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts