Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone experience the brake squeaking in morning and after car wash. Dealer said is because the brakes are no being used enough and is rusting. Anyone have any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Rusting, are you kidding? Take the Fisker out for 3 minutes and the squeak will go away. Enjoy your Karma and most issues will be resolved. There is NOTHING on the road like it, be patient.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,659 Posts
armasace said:
Is anyone experience the brake squeaking in morning and after car wash. Dealer said is because the brakes are no being used enough and is rusting. Anyone have any suggestions?
I hear the squeak only after my car gets washed and the squeak goes away after I drive the car for a few miles. I don't hear any squeaking in the mornings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
I had bad brake squeaking this winter, it's not uncommon for high end-brakes like the Brembo's but not pleasant. My dealer greased the brakes some months ago and since then it's practically absent. Ask your dealer, they should be able to solve this!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,063 Posts
It's not rusting in the sense that the rotors are going to have holes in them but whats called surface rust .Today's harsh wheel cleaners actually have some acid in them so when you spray it on your wheels the rotors also get some on them the acid and the metal react so you get some surface rust also if you live where you get that overnight dew or any form of light moisture that also causes this . Not much you can do as mentioned drive the car within a few miles of braking the rotors will be all cleaned up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,659 Posts
Harleyguy said:
It's not rusting in the sense that the rotors are going to have holes in them but whats called surface rust .Today's harsh wheel cleaners actually have some acid in them so when you spray it on your wheels the rotors also get some on them the acid and the metal react so you get some surface rust also if you live where you get that overnight dew or any form of light moisture that also causes this . Not much you can do as mentioned drive the car within a few miles of braking the rotors will be all cleaned up.
I usually just crank up the radio a couple of steps and, problem solved!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Fabulist said:
Harleyguy said:
It's not rusting in the sense that the rotors are going to have holes in them but whats called surface rust .Today's harsh wheel cleaners actually have some acid in them so when you spray it on your wheels the rotors also get some on them the acid and the metal react so you get some surface rust also if you live where you get that overnight dew or any form of light moisture that also causes this . Not much you can do as mentioned drive the car within a few miles of braking the rotors will be all cleaned up.
I usually just crank up the radio a couple of steps and, problem solved!
My brakes squeal constantly at low speeds. Its actually pretty annoying when I'm in the parking garage at work. Again I was told there was nothing that could be done and it was common on higher end brake systems. Funny thing is my R8 had brembos and never squealed once. Its kind of frustrating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
ejo3rd said:
Fabulist said:
Harleyguy said:
It's not rusting in the sense that the rotors are going to have holes in them but whats called surface rust .Today's harsh wheel cleaners actually have some acid in them so when you spray it on your wheels the rotors also get some on them the acid and the metal react so you get some surface rust also if you live where you get that overnight dew or any form of light moisture that also causes this . Not much you can do as mentioned drive the car within a few miles of braking the rotors will be all cleaned up.
I usually just crank up the radio a couple of steps and, problem solved!
My brakes squeal constantly at low speeds. Its actually pretty annoying when I'm in the parking garage at work. Again I was told there was nothing that could be done and it was common on higher end brake systems. Funny thing is my R8 had brembos and never squealed once. Its kind of frustrating.
ejo3rd,

It seems there is an unbalance in knowledge among Fisker dealers. Your dealer doesn't know how to fix the fit issue and it doesn't know how to fix the squeaky brake, when Dutch's dealer knows exactly what to do for the brake and some Fisker dealer got the fit issue tamed. Who do you deal with?

So you are right. Your dealer needs to talk to others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Interesting thread, I am taking my Karma in tomorrow for something similar.

The backend squeezes like crazy when I go over bumps, it is worse after a car wash, but, does not go away 100% even after days of driving.

Thoughts?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
286 Posts
I just took our 2010 Q7 TDI to my local dealer with same issue and they told me I don't need new break pads yet. It squeaks because it's a heavy SUV and they do that sometimes. FUNNY! (It's not even that heavy).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Brake squeak for the first few stops is pretty common on most cars. It's usually just from the pads and rotors being cold but can also be from a small amount of surface rust on the rotors. If it's really loud or persists after the first few stops I would see about going to the dealer and having the pad slides and shims lubricated with high temp grease.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
You should analyze the brake squeal. Identify whether the squeal comes from one wheel in particular, just the front or back wheels or all of the wheels. Determine if the squeal is audible all the time or only when the brakes are applied. Ascertain if the problem started suddenly and, if so, whether this coincided with a brake servicing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Brake Squeak - Fisker Releases Service Fix

Fisker issued service fix for high pitch brake squeak.

This type of brake noise has always been considered an inherent defect in high performance brake pads. Fisker apparently discovered that if you sand down the edges of the brake pads it eliminates the annoying and sometimes embarrassing brake noise.

My dealer in Detroit first said that there was nothing could be done about this noise. He later called be back and told me about the service fix released by Fisker. They kept my car overnight and now my brakes are as quiet as a church mouse.

Samuel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,171 Posts
The service fix for the brake squeak does indeed exist, though the procedure has changed slightly. Should quiet those brakes up for you immediately though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
There is no question, that when when I first took possession of my Karma the breaks would squeak whenever they got wet...either from washing the car or rain (which doesn't happen often here in SoCal)...The squealing would last for a few breaking cycles and then go away...I also experienced the clicking sound when wheel was turned acutely at low speeds...both noises were repaired by dealer. The break problem repair was performed without my asking, and the clicking repaired at my request with the help of the folks at this forum explaining the problem and the fix....so the bottom line it that your break squealing problems are fixable.

Buck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Has anyone confirmed the noise coming from the rear shocks as it relates to the dust tubes rubbing against the spring.

If so, what is the procedure to fix this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
I always assumed that the brakes weren't getting the "rust" or "water" worked off them because the Re-Gen braking keeps the pads from ever being pressed in hard and knocking the rust/dust/water off. But, greasing it sounds like a good idea.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top