Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team -

I built-up some scratches on the lower front pulling into my driveway; even on an angle I'm very careful but sometimes still scrape. What's the most economical but high quality way to get this repaired? The depth of scratches is all the way down to the fiberglass. It will need to be smoothed out, cleaned, painted/polished. Anyone had this done? Approximately how $. Thank you!
:huh:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think everyone gets those "underside the front end" scratches. Mine mostly come from the angular parking at the post office. Trying to get the rear end off the active road, I pull forward as much as possible. I've had the underside plastic wrapped a couple of times, but that just scratches off too. It helps to keep the front tires fully inflated, maybe a couple of pounds extra.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
You'll be better off calling a local body shop that deals with high end cars than asking here. Personally, I don't do bodywork, I couldn't quote this either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Will checkout a high quality local shop to get it fixed, then follow the very good/practical advice to run slightly more air in the front tires to limit future occurrences.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Let us know what hat costs, and how well it works for you. As Bert said, I think we are all suffering from those scratches.

·
320 Posts
Team -

I built-up some scratches on the lower front pulling into my driveway; even on an angle I'm very careful but sometimes still scrape. What's the most economical but high quality way to get this repaired? The depth of scratches is all the way down to the fiberglass. It will need to be smoothed out, cleaned, painted/polished. Anyone had this done? Approximately how $. Thank you!
I paid about $500 to have this type of repair at Palm Beach Fisker. The bumper was removed and it was repaired and painted off the car. Its likely going to happen again, so don't get it done unless you are a fanatic like me.

·
Karma #70 SE
28 Posts
What experiences do you gave with the existing parking aid? I find that mist times is sees the parking curb but not always... Which us why I have scrapes right now. Also, I just checked out the brand motion one above..... It says it shuts off after the ignition us off for 3min... Is there a trick to wiring this that may be different than a normal install?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm looking at the instruction sheet now. I see nothing about a 3 minute delay in shutting off. In fact, the instructions state, "The device will shut down automatically when the ignition key is turned OFF."

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
For me, it rarely occurs because of the parking curbs. Its generally because of a slightly steep driveway

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm the same as SoCalGuy - damage due to steep driveway incline from street vs. parking blocks.

Wow $500 actually sounds pretty good for removal repair & reinstall at PB Jag. I used to buy from them when we lived in South FL. Won't repair until after winter here in the Carolinas. Supposed to be 11 degrees here overnight.

Thanks for all the replies. :D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Team -

$500 sounds like a steal to me. The automotive dealer group that owned Fisker Santa Monica referred me to their body shop for the same repair as you describe, and the quote was somewhere between $1,500 and $2,000.

·
EV Enthusiast
110 Posts
Has anyone thought about using two thin metal plates and rivet them to the underside of the bumper at the low spots (by the diamond shape areas). You can paint the plates but I don't think it's visible unless you get really low. You can replace the plates once they get bad.

I just don't know it's worth the money to keep on repairing the damage as it will eventually happen.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have a friend who has attached two metal plates that feed into his driveway, which is pretty darn steep. It works well for his sports cars and for my Karma. I believe they're stock. I can ask him to post some photos if anyone is interested. He has had them in place for several years and the city doesn't seem to care.

·
Fisker Driver
79 Posts
I recently purchased a spray can of matching paint from an auto paint supplier to do touch ups. I considered having a body shop take care of it, however, as many posts state, the curb warning doesn't always recognize low curbs. Steep driveways still seem to be the primary culprit also. I haven't painted it yet, but will post some before and after pics when I'm done to let you all see. The can cost about $75, so if it "hides" the scratches and doesn't look to hillbilly, i'll keep using it. Pics to follow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts