Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because Henrik Fisker designed the Z8 before starting his own company, I was interested to see how many Z8 were made, and the answer surprised me: under 6000. That’s almost 3x as many 2012 Karmas, and if you google “Z8”, all the stories are about how valuable they’ve become.

Not only do both cars share the same designer, they also both shared a similar purchase price (low $100s), both are “not particularly fast,” and both saw a drop in value before picking up. Z8s are now regularly topping $200K:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.au...ideo-heres-why-bmw-z8-worth-200000-275197?amp

https://www.bmwblog.com/2017/06/06/bmw-z8-prices-skyrocketed/

Something to think about.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Because Henrik Fisker designed the Z8 before starting his own company, I was interested to see how many Z8 were made, and the answer surprised me: under 6000. That’s almost 3x as many 2012 Karmas, and if you google “Z8”, all the stories are about how valuable they’ve become.

Not only do both cars share the same designer, they also both shared a similar purchase price (low $100s), both are “not particularly fast,” and both saw a drop in value before picking up. Z8s are now regularly topping $200K:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.au...ideo-heres-why-bmw-z8-worth-200000-275197?amp

https://www.bmwblog.com/2017/06/06/bmw-z8-prices-skyrocketed/

According to a rough estimate of the money put in Fisker Automotive to design and produce the car in respect to the small amount (ca. 1800?) of Fiskers buildt the price per car would be around $ 600,000. What would that be for the BMW Z8? Also something to think about :fisker:

·
Registered
90 Posts

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autotrader.com/car-video/video-heres-why-bmw-z8-worth-200000-275197?amp

BMW Z8 prices have skyrocketed

This is an interesting read.

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
381 Posts
Interesting thread - I think it just shows that car values are almost entirely subjective. I have an interesting case in point.

For a long time, I've owned a 2007 Mercedes CLK63 AMG cabriolet. It has all the bells and whistles and is a blast to drive (475 HP). But I have always been told by so-called experts that the only CLK63 to own is the Black Series coupe. In some cases it felt like an Android/Apple discussion - religion was in the air.

So recently I bought a 2008 CLK63 Black Series. The resale value of the Black Series is at least four times that of the Cabriolet, so I paid through the nose but I think I have a definitive answer to this debate. You can be as strident as you like in your opinion about these two cars, or any cars for that matter, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and has nothing to do with anything tangible. For everyday use, the cabriolet is the hands-down winner. It has a far more comfortable ride and, as I say, is loaded with all the user-friendly options you want. The BS squeaks 25 more HP out of the 6.2 liter engine and has a solid racing suspension that goes around corners as if it were on rails (although the backend keeps tell you it wants to slip out) and is a lot more fun. But is that worth 4x to the resale value of the car? To me, the cars feel on a par - each has its day. To me, the cars are siblings.

So to get to the question of the OP about Z8s. They have no more intrinsic value than any other (originally) $130k car, especially as so many were made, but the market has convinced people of their collectible worth. It's not about stats, it's about perception and nothing more. Given how few Fiskers were created, in my book, they should be worth at least as much as a Z8. I also think my CLK63 Cabriolet should be worth more than a Z8 because it's a much finer vehicle, but that's just me being subjective :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Totally true: the "market" price of anything is what another person will pay, and value is subjective.

I gave my wife the same pitch as the OP: Henrik, the Z8, yada yada, so we have to keep this car.
Her response: if a z8 breaks down, you can take it to BMW to fix it.
Touche.

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
Totally true: the "market" price of anything is what another person will pay, and value is subjective.

I gave my wife the same pitch as the OP: Henrik, the Z8, yada yada, so we have to keep this car.
Her response: if a z8 breaks down, you can take it to BMW to fix it.
Touche.
If they have the parts. We have FiskerPhilly and his new venture KARMA Veloce. He also is stocking many parts. Keep in mind the Karma has GM sourced parts. so when the KV-1 with the Camaro engine is made available, that should make things interesting. Remember the car general panel and underpinning are like any other classic car. The drive train suspension , brakes. electronics , etc are the only parts one care can have over another with respect to repair. KARMA 2012 is like the bit coin at 2012 pricing - wait for it ;-)

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I totally agree, the Fisker Karma should be catching $________k each.

Ppl always ask, what's a car like this worth? Most are shell shocked when you say $50k.

They are under valued due to the price when ppl sell second hand. If everyone priced them out at 70k. Then the market value would be 70k +/-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts