Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Love my Karma, but I have to admit... this looks very promising. Can't wait to see the specs.
The concept car's battery was IIRC, 8 KWH providing a best-case E-range of 35 miles, probably closer to 20 in real life. Not particularly impressive, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
The article I saw earlier today said 22 miles EV range and when operating the electric motor and the gas engine, it will do 0-60 in 4.5s - still a good 0.5s slower than an MSP.

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
The article I saw earlier today said 22 miles EV range and when operating the electric motor and the gas engine, it will do 0-60 in 4.5s - still a good 0.5s slower than an MSP.
I think BMW has a real challenge in positioning/selling the i8. With the limited EV range, most driving will be done with the ICE on. And the ICE is a 3 cylinder motor - in a $125K+ sports car! And if I'm paying a Porsche GT3 price ($130K) I will expect GT3 performance (0-60 3.3 seconds).

It seems that BMW has missed the mark[et].

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think BMW has a real challenge in positioning/selling the i8. With the limited EV range, most driving will be done with the ICE on. And the ICE is a 3 cylinder motor - in a $125K+ sports car! And if I'm paying a Porsche GT3 price ($130K) I will expect GT3 performance (0-60 3.3 seconds).

It seems that BMW has missed the mark[et].
where did you see these price figures? a comparable brand new M6 is around 115k and this car is same or less, do you believe they will ask the 120-130k range for it?

·
1,217 Posts
where did you see these price figures? a comparable brand new M6 is around 115k and this car is same or less, do you believe they will ask the 120-130k range for it?
If you Google "BMW i8 price" you will find a number of articles from the car mag sites citing prices like €100,000 and in excess of $120,000. Compared to the M6 it has a lot of carbon fiber technology and lower volumes since it can't leverage the 6 Series production.

·
1,217 Posts
It's gorgeous. But until they improve the range, I'd have no interest in it.
I don't really see them improving the range in the medium-term. It's really a performance hybrid more like the Porsche 918. They are claiming already over 100 mpg because of the light weight, efficient 3 cylinder motor and supplemental electric power.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've followed the i8 (and the i3, which I intended to purchase), for about 2 years now, and if the world continues without fisker, the i8 seems to be the logical successor. I could never spend that kind of money for a car personally ($150k?), but a year ago I was saying the same thing about the Karma, so never say never. That low EV range is a real surprise though.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
well it's now official, and the starting price is.. wow 132K! i wonder how many cars they will sell, with having that price out there - the Karma should go to production!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/10/bmw-i8-fully-revealed-frankfurt/
About the only impressive thing about this is the two-speed EV mode transmission. Otherwise, in EV mode, it is 131 HP, front-wheel-drive car with a 9 KWH battery. The rest of the time, it is a 3-Cylinder 230HP car. I would not pay $132K for this combination.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I guess 200+hp at this weight is not that bad... It accelerates in <5s and seems to be economically fair, when driven carefully.

BUT:
A sports car must be fantastic in sound or just quiet...
Has anybody ever heard a 3 cylinder charged engine? How does it sound like?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seems that the 1.5 3cylinder thing still has this bimmer sound.. check this:
http://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-i8s-three-cylinder-sounds-like-a-ferocious-dem-1551138195

let's remember that it's not running on the same serial technology like our karma, it is syncro, just like the high end supercar hybrid that are coming to the market (McLaren P1, Porsche 918, Panamera e-Hybrid..) that's why you hear gear changes.

The car will also have laser headlights, very interesting, too bad it's not priced as the karma.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I really like the styling of the BMW i8, and, prior to my Karma, I have almost exclusively driven BMWs. But the i8 only offers maximum 22 miles on electric drive only. I'll bet that translates to 12 to 15 miles in the real world. It also apparently lacks the cruelty-free and über comfortable Alcantara 'suede' fabric that I've come to love in my Eco-Chic. If the i8 had equivalent range on electric mode to my Karma and had a vegan interior, I would consider trading. But I'd probably stick with the Karma in the end. I hate saying it, but I like the attention the car gets.

·
Registered
888 Posts
This kickstart used up a mile on the blue battery indicator at the bottom...
What is the top speed with an empty battery?

Anyway, the sound seems to be right.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I really like the styling of the BMW i8, and, prior to my Karma, I have almost exclusively driven BMWs. But the i8 only offers maximum 22 miles on electric drive only. I'll bet that translates to 12 to 15 miles in the real world. It also apparently lacks the cruelty-free and über comfortable Alcantara 'suede' fabric that I've come to love in my Eco-Chic. If the i8 had equivalent range on electric mode to my Karma and had a vegan interior, I would consider trading. But I'd probably stick with the Karma in the end. I hate saying it, but I like the attention the car gets.
Basically, it's a Prius Plug-in with fancy coachwork.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts