Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the beginning (April 2012) I am having problems streaming music (spotify) over Bluetooth A2DP.

Repeatedly the Bluetooth connection is disconnected and the media system jumps back to FM radio. Sometimes after half an hour and sometimes after a few minutes.

Restoring the Bluetooth connectivity is a tedious job and sometimes even dangerous while driving.

I have tried several different smartphones but the problem stayed the same.

Connecting my smartphone using the AUX is also not an option as the AUX generates a loud noise somehow.

Firmware upgrades did not solve the problem either.

Anyone has the same problem ( or solution) ?

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Mine just started happening and seems to be device specific however. I used to carry a Palm Pre, and Bluetooth A2DP worked flawlessly with the Karma. It never dropped and just worked like it was supposed to. I had the Pre from delivery of my Karma on the 6.14 software a year ago next week, and it continued to work fine through and including the current Karma software of 510.

I recently, reluctantly, got rid of my Pre for a more modern smartphone, a Samsung Galaxy SIII. While the phone is clearly superior in many respects, I now get the exact A2DP drop you're describing. I'll be happily listening to Pandora, or an Audiobook on Audible, and suddenly the BT drops and I'm listening to FM radio. Most of the time if I press the BT button on the audio panel it quickly reconnects, but sometimes I need to wait to let the car sleep.

I'm not able to detect any rhyme or reason to the drops; nothing interesting happens on the phone when it occurs (for example, it's not dropping only when a SMS is received) nor is anything special happening with the car. The duration between occurances varies too. Just yesterday I was driving to the office listening to Audible over BT flawlessly the entire drive. I was just about to work when I thought to myself "wow, the BT was pretty stable" and of course jinxed myself. As soon as the thought entered my head I was listening to FM radio noise. So maybe I'm the problem.

JDH, what kind of phone are you using?

Brent

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brent, Samsung SII and SIII but have had the same problem with a new HTC smartphone. My dealer has offered to swap the infotainment unit as I am also having problems with the AUX-input. Hopefully this will fix it.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
As a point of reference, I use my Iphone 4S to listen to the audio version of the Economist via BT all the time and it works flawlessly. I also use the NPR app to listen to remote radio stations when our local station is having a fundraiser (I send KQED a big check at the end of each year so I don't need to listen to the constant groveling every other month). The stored content seems to play flawlessly but the streaming content cuts out occasionally and has to be reselected to start working again. Have you considered the possibility that the problem is not entirely BT related but may have to do with the streaming app?

It would be interesting to test the app with a different BT device, like a headset or a speaker to see if there are any issues when your phone is not connected to the Karma before swapping out a unit that may not be at fault.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
Have you considered the possibility that the problem is not entirely BT related but may have to do with the streaming app?

It would be interesting to test the app with a different BT device, like a headset or a speaker to see if there are any issues when your phone is not connected to the Karma before swapping out a unit that may not be at fault.
Audible is not a streaming app; all the content is local. There are no drops when playing through speakers, headphones or through other BT devices. In fact, when the BT drops the app is *still* playing. It's the Karma that has stopped listening.

Having tried multiple apps with the same result I'm of the opinion that the Apps aren't the problem. Also, since my Pre, and iPhones seem to work fine it further strengthens my suspicion that it's device specific. There seems to be something about my Galaxy, or perhaps Samsung or Android devices in general, that causes the Fisker to disconnect it's A2DP BT profile.

Brent

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Brent : It is as you said, the app is still playing music while the karma has disconnected the BT connection . Probably an Android / Fisker problem as I have tried different smartphone brands ( but all running on Android) , all having the same problems while they did not occur when streaming audio to other BT devices .

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I also have the SIII and have the same issue while using Pandora. Never know when it will drop.
However I don't have to re-pair it. I just hit play on the SIII again and it restarts.

The phone seems fine On the ford My touch/sync system.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Follow up:
I just purchased a replacement 2013 MKX for my wife this weekend. Since we had heavy snow yesterday I thought I'd drive the MKX to work. I paired the SIII to the Ford my touch and streamed Pandora and some other content both to and from work without a single drop. So it think the firmware in the Fisker is the issue with the random drops.

·
Registered
435 Posts
yes there something wrong it, audio works perfect from phone for music but not phonecalls

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have had a history of minor but annoying problems with the bluetooth audio and audio controls from my iPhone 4s and iPhone 5 dropping out, or not initiating properly upon boot up of the car. I hope these remaining bluetooth quirks can be patched in the next software update.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I too have had difficulty streaming music, first from my iPhone 4S and now from my iPhone 5, to the audio system via Bluetooth. The sound occasionally drops out for a note or two--not long in the grand scheme of things, but long enough to notice. More annoyingly, sometimes the song sounds like it is skipping as though it were being played from a vinyl album on a turntable. So odd.

As for talking on the phone with the Bluetooth, I no longer even attempt that. It's just too annoying.

And by the way...this is the most disappointing aspect of the car for me. If Fisker can fix this with a software update, I'd be even more thrilled with the car than I am already.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used to have the problem until I upgraded my Samsung to Jelly Bean.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My phones that are on jelly bean or other versions all cut off randomly. I believe it is a software issue within the car. I am glad it supports Bluetooth audio as many cars don't so hopefully soon they will address it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After having the media unit replaced, the bluetooth problem remained with samsung ( various models), however my HTC phone stays connected ( up to now anyway) so I will stick to HTC

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
Hallelujah! Bluetooth streaming is stable on my Samsung Galaxy SIII!

Great news to all of you Android fans who carry Samsung hardware. One of the many features of the new 4.3 release of Android Jelly Bean is that they rewrote the Bluetooth stack. One of the very nice side effects is that I can now successfully connect my Samsung Galaxy S III to the Karma for both the Phone and A2DP Audio profiles - and they stay connected!

Previously, I would connect and the phone would randomly drop the Bluetooth connection after a few seconds or a few minutes. It made listening to audio from my phone over Bluetooth unworkable. Now I can stream music, play MP3s, listen to Audiobooks and use by phone-based Nav flawlessly.

Audio quality for streaming audio was terrific - no gaps, skips or clipping and the volume was more than enough. I haven't tried a call yet to see if the Phone profile is any better.

Brent

1 - 16 of 16 Posts