Fisker Buzz Forums banner

What's up with BL530

• I have updated to BL530 and everything is working fine.

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • I have updated to BL530 and have had issues requiring repair or reflash.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • I currently plan to (or scheduled to) upgrade to BL530 in the near future.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • I don't currently plan to upgrade but may do so in the future.

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • I am sitting this upgrade out.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BL530 has been out for a little over. Month and the reports have been mixed. I am not sure if we are only hearing from folks who have had issues, or if that's the general experience. It would also be very helpful to other owners, and I would assume Fisker Auto to gauge the current owners' attitudes.

Please take the survey above. Thanks.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I voted for the 2nd choice on the list since I'll be bringing my Karma into Pat's Garage next month to address a post-530 trouble code that appears to be related to the BECM. Specifically, it is P1E23.

It would be of interest to learn what trouble codes others are seeing after 530. (At least one other forum member is seeing that same DTC after updating to 530.)

Other than that one new code, 530 has made driving my Karma more enjoyable, especially with the way it has eliminated the "RDM Jitterbug" and crunching sounds when turning into a driveway or making a sharp u-turn on wet or uneven pavement. Also, acceleration seems to be improved, and the engine seems quieter in the Sport Mode.

Overall, I'm really liking the ride.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My Karma was just returned after having the 70 pt inspection, a new 12V battery, two new front tires, and 530.
The first night it would only charge to 4 miles, and I had a Hi Voltage battery light, which went out after a restart. It came on several times during the day on startup. Ran on ICE all day.
The second night it charged to 24 miles, and again the Hi Voltage light illuminated. I tried a hard reboot. Light went out and I drove off with the ICE running. While waiting for a red light, I went to Park. On the green light, the car would not come out of park, except for neutral. Holding up traffic, I turned the emergency flashers on. The car will not shut off with flashers on. Called 911. The police arrived and lit flares around the Karma. I shut off the flashers and shut off the car. After 2 minutes I restarted and the lights were out, so I left and went straight to the CSP. I waited while they reflashed (2.5 hours). Then they said they couldn't get things corrected and the HiVoltage light was still on. They gave me a loan car Thursday. No callback on Friday or Saturday. Waiting.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
I had 530 installed more than a month. It worked as advertised. The low growl was gone, the fuel gauge more accurate, the ICE seemed to perform better, the fan speed not as erratic... and so on. Unfortunately, the CIU wasn't re-flashed (apparently required after 530), so the CIU seems to have reverted to 2012 levels -- forgets time zone, sound erratic, IPOD issues, phone overdrive, looses radio stations, etc. I almost folded the mirrors today and recalled that issue was present in 2012 -- the motors didn't shut off and burned out.

No issues with 530 per se'. The CSP will re-flash the CIU next week with the correct files. All should be well.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I've had 530 for more than a month. Drive a little nearly every day. And, have driven From Phoenix to LA & back. No negative issues. All advertised fixes working as they said.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
My A/C went out, I unplugged the high voltage for 10 minutes and voila, all is well again with the A/C. Also my gas gauge still says 300 even though I was on ice for a few miles since I rebooted.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
The poll should have one more option:
I have updated to BL530, have had issues and would like a bug fix BL530-V2.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The poll should have one more option:
I have updated to BL530, have had issues and would like a bug fix BL530-V2.
I would think that goes without saying.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Just Flashed with 530. Don't really notice much change either way. Out of curiosity aren't all settings suppose to revert to factory default after a flash? I remember back when we would get system updates I would need to set my convenience preferences after a flash ( park lamp horn on alarm activation, bluetooth pairing, etc...) all remained the same this time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
After reading all this about 530. My question is should I update my then or just wait?
I'm getting my update this weds at eurocar.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference at all. I sometimes get a screen glitch where the dials are visible, but look like they have a green/static pattern in them, and that hasn't gone away. If it's doing good things "behind the scenes" that I'm unaware of, then there's no reason not to get it in my opinion.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had 530 installed more than a month. It worked as advertised. The low growl was gone, the fuel gauge more accurate, the ICE seemed to perform better, the fan speed not as erratic... and so on. Unfortunately, the CIU wasn't re-flashed (apparently required after 530), so the CIU seems to have reverted to 2012 levels -- forgets time zone, sound erratic, IPOD issues, phone overdrive, looses radio stations, etc. I almost folded the mirrors today and recalled that issue was present in 2012 -- the motors didn't shut off and burned out.

No issues with 530 per se'. The CSP will re-flash the CIU next week with the correct files. All should be well.
What needed to be done to CIU? I have been having random issues with the CIU since upgrading to 530. I wonder if they missed updating something.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
I am not a CSP, but from what I understand there are files that need to be re-flashed to the CIU after 530 is installed. The symptoms are: radio presets are gone, and when reinstalled, will disappear again when the car shuts off; in my case all of a sudden, the navigation system is missing -- so is the back up camera (no backup = no navigation -- backup camera differentiates Eco Sport from Standard; the audio is erratic which was one of the initial software issues in 2012. Further, as others have reported, the time zone reverts to Los Angeles and will not "hold" other time zones, so the clock (for me) is 3 hours off. Even if I reset the Eastern, it reverts to LA time. Those are my observations, when I contacted my CSP he said yes, the CIU needs to be flashed. All started after I used the Navigation for the first time after 530. The next time I started the Karma all those problems started. I have an appointment to have the CIU flashed this Thursday. So I just know at this point what the fix is suggested, but specifics I will leave up to the CSP here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am not a CSP, but from what I understand there are files that need to be re-flashed to the CIU after 530 is installed. The symptoms are: radio presets are gone, and when reinstalled, will disappear again when the car shuts off; in my case all of a sudden, the navigation system is missing -- so is the back up camera (no backup = no navigation -- backup camera differentiates Eco Sport from Standard; the audio is erratic which was one of the initial software issues in 2012. Further, as others have reported, the time zone reverts to Los Angeles and will not "hold" other time zones, so the clock (for me) is 3 hours off. Even if I reset the Eastern, it reverts to LA time. Those are my observations, when I contacted my CSP he said yes, the CIU needs to be flashed. All started after I used the Navigation for the first time after 530. The next time I started the Karma all those problems started. I have an appointment to have the CIU flashed this Thursday. So I just know at this point what the fix is suggested, but specifics I will leave up to the CSP here.
Thanks for the info. I don't have any of those issues right now, just issues loosing connection to the HVAC module and random issues with the radio playback going away when switching between AM/FM and SAT. I have not used the Navigation since the 530 upgrade.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
The CIU issues was because of a file in 520 that corrupted the CIU I haven't seen any CIU problems with 530 . The CIU problem caused by 520 came about while using the car Config manager during 530 we use flash lite .

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Thanks Harley G..... Bernie said he knows what to do, and Joe F sent him the files needed to repair. All should be good. Just para-phasing what I understand.

·
Registered
334 Posts
from what im hearing if you update to 530 you will lose battery balancing which is essential for lithium ion batteries. and this could damaged the HV battery IN THE FUTURE

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
@doc that only occurs when the update involves a CIU flash. 530 does not flash the CIU so it retains its memory. @tamkien79 if you can push it off a week or 2 the corrected version should be out. I have been told it will be out (but again dates are not firm as they often are at the mercy of other vendors writing software)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts