Fisker Buzz Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
1. I've experienced and done the same thing. It's a bit of topping off and the modules balancing out.

2. The 3-4 miles left then it plummeting to zero is most likely a bad module, especially since it's repeatable for you.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
One tell tail sign of a possable battery problem is the charger not shutting off when the battery reaches 50 miles . That can be caused by a week module or a unbalanced module . Usually in time the weak module will show when we check live data or for codes . The modules don't always set a CEL until more the two or three cells in a module go bad . I've seen many cars show a module with two or three cells bad and not cause any problems .

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Guys
it sounds a little bit "difficult" to run a battery down to zero by just not having gasoline for when the engine want to start. isn't there an easier way, for example to just unplug something which I can plug in again once the battery is fully down. Let's say the 12V Battery. But is it through that this wouldn't be good for the HV BAttery?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
so actually I am looking for a safe way to download the HV battery without causing any problem to it

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
so actually I am looking for a safe way to download the HV battery without causing any problem to it
Do you mean drain (aufbrauchen?) the HV battery to zero charge? I am not an expert on batteries, but my understanding is that reducing the charge to zero is very damaging to these batteries and should be avoided.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Could be either. Both issues show identical results. With a faulty module range will drop off at varying mileage numbers depending on the severity and it depends on how low the minimum voltage is in that module before it hits the threshold and the BECM shuts down the HV battery propulsion and fires GEN. For example all modules at 25% and defective module 11 is at 15%, the remaining range will drop to 0 to protect that one module from dropping below the minimum state of charge. So the remaining 14 modules have plenty of charge but range is 0 because of the one bad egg...
An unbalanced battery will act the same but begs the question how did it become unbalanced? An unbalanced battery just means one or more modules or cells within are lower (slightly) than others. A large imbalance usually indicates a module issue pending. Typically as Harleyguy said we only see that when replacing a module that is installed with a higher or lower voltage than the others in the battery. Balancing is inevitably required when swapping modules but should be a rare occasion in a regularly driven karma.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Also the term run down completely is often misinterpreted on these cars. The range meter will show 0 numerically with a small (less than 1/4) on the bar gauge. In the EV world, fully discharge means 15% with Lithium Ion. If it goes to true 0 which is almost impossible as the becm will shut it down before that and you will get a message "OUT OF ENERGY" probably around 10% or so. Correct true 0% SOC is baad news and very difficult to recover one of these batteries from that at least externally. So driving to 0 range = 15% which is the lowest state of charge.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Some people have had issues with the GEN not coming on either due to misfire, rectifier, inv etc; at that point the car will let you fully deplete the battery going to Out of Energy (see attached) and then going into further reduced performance mode till 19.7kwh of the 20.1kwh (theoretical energy content of a fully charged pack) is depleted vs the normal 17kwh safe usable.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thank you very much guys. I am getting a
Clearer picture now my dealer told me to fully run down the battery than load it fully, unplug it and restart the charging again. That should bring the battery in balance again (after doing it several times). Can somebody confirme?
So to do so I will unplug the 12V battery and drive as long as I see the "no more energy" message. Than I connect the 12V again. Question is does the car respectively the engine after that?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Clearer picture now my dealer told me to fully run down the battery than load it fully, unplug it and restart the charging again. That should bring the battery in balance again (after doing it several times). Can somebody confirme?
So to do so I will unplug the 12V battery and drive as long as I see the "no more energy" message. Than I connect the 12V again. Question is does the car respectively the engine after that?
No just drive your car. The out of energy screen indicates a problem with the vehicle. If you drive your car and take it down to 0 and charge it via the HV connector (EVSE) back to 50 miles you will be fine. The battery will balance itself when left plugged in.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
No just drive your car. The out of energy screen indicates a problem with the vehicle. If you drive your car and take it down to 0 and charge it via the HV connector (EVSE) back to 50 miles you will be fine. The battery will balance itself when left plugged in.
Also, just in case it is not clear from the responses above, do not disconnect the 12V battery. It has nothing to do with the problem and you will not be able to start the car without it. Just start and drive the car on Stealth mode to 0 miles EV range, and then charge it up again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
but that's exactly my problem: I drive the car nearly every day to zero range left and charge it fully during night time. nothing changes. Next day it falls down to zero again at about 17 miles left. The battery capacity indication still shows about 1/4 left of capacity, the range left is at zero and the engine kicks in.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Demand screenshots of the trouble codes and the battery voltages from Emil Frey. Email them over or post them here. I wonder if they are just trying to get out of fixing a potentially expensive problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I see it exactly like you: Car has a bad module but Emil Frey tries to avoid to have to fix a potentially expensive problem. But there's where I am. They sent me a message today to just runt the car to battery capacity 0 (Range indication, not Battery capacity), charge the car, unplug it for a view minutes and plug-in again. that should start the re-balancing process. I will do that for a couple of days now and see wit it changes anything. If not I would be very happy if I can organize some screenshots and share them with you Lormax. It seems we Fisker enthusiastic here in Europe may need somebody like you :)

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
I don't understand what's going on here I could of sworn 34 posts ago I mentioned the car has a bad module or week . The car can and will run with a bad module as long as that module only has one or two maybe three bad cells. I'm not trying to brag I've probably done three times the amount of battery repairs then any other tech I know . Unfortunately no two cars are the same problem and each car has to be handled like that .

I have a car on my lift now with a battery problem I have at least 25 hours of labor trying to get the car fixed . I've taken the battery in and out at least 10 times if we didn't own the car I would of walked away from the job . Unlike A123 who had or has test equipment that trouble shoots the battery out of the car we have to do it by other means

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
just to let you know guys. My dealer offered me a new battery which I will get in the next two weeks. I'm sure the problem will be gone afterwords.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Wow and should I ask who's footing the cost of the replacement battery . I received a call from Hungary a couple a days ago a customer was looking for a battery .

·
Registered
13 Posts
@rabbit, congrats on that success. I sure hope your problems will be gone afterwards. let's cross fingers that this will not be common fate for all fisker owners...

21 - 40 of 45 Posts