Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I´m thinking of buying a used Fisker with 40 000km on it. They told me that the battery was shot but the car works fine. What a good price would be for such a car?

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Hi, I´m thinking of buying a used Fisker with 40 000km on it. They told me that the battery was shot but the car works fine. What a good price would be for such a car?
Stay away at any price who ever is selling the car isn't telling the full story behind the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers but they mean that the car works only with the gas engine. Is that possible?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Thanks for the answers but they mean that the car works only with the gas engine. Is that possible?
Run, don't walk, away from this deal. Remember that the Karma is always driven by 2 Electric Motors, even when the gas engine is running. This means that you need a healthy HV battery to operate the car in either mode because the power going to the electric motors goes through the battery. The gas engine is only a generator. The electricity it creates also goes through the HV Battery. If the HV Battery is having problems, you will have problems running the car even with the gas engine. In the immortal words of Lando Calrrissian:

http://youtu.be/A-sA-NqMlvI

·
Registered
189 Posts
I wouldn't run. If the price is right, you can easily have the faulty HV module(s) replaced and have the car operational.

Any other details and are you near a CSP who can do the proper diagnostics?
Where are you located?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't run. If the price is right, you can easily have the faulty HV module(s) replaced and have the car operational.

Any other details and are you near a CSP who can do the proper diagnostics?
Where are you located?
The price is like 10k cheaper than the others. I live in Sweden so I don't really know how easy it is to find a CSP.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
https://cdn.blocket.com/static/1/original/35/3557640100.jpg
this is thing they say it comes with the car. don't know what it is.
Sorry about the link, I don't know if I'm allowed to put a link here
This is one of the traction motors! and it actually has the white sheating meaning these are the old motors... I have never seen one in the trunk of a Karma (didn't think it could fit back there). If this motor actually from the vehicle there is no way it will work as you need two of those in order to have an operational vehicle.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This is one of the traction motors! and it actually has the white sheating meaning these are the old motors... I have never seen one in the trunk of a Karma (didn't think it could fit back there). If this motor actually from the vehicle there is no way it will work as you need two of those in order to have an operational vehicle.
Yep, that's a motor. If the car has both battery issues and a failed motor it is possible the owner walked or is walking away from the expensive repairs as these are the most costliest things that can go wrong. I would inquire with the nearest repair facility that knows the Karma and ask if they can rebuild the motor and replace HV modules. If they can you can assess the associated costs and take them into account in making an offer.

If the asking price is only 10k less than a no issue car, then it's a "no buy" IMO - there just is not enough of a cushion to cover all the unknowns you could face. I would say you need to be at least 18k+ off a retail price car to be safe. That would cover at least the motor rebuild cost and at least 1-2 HV modules and some other unexpected costs and make it enough of a deal to account for your time to coordinate all the repairs. Otherwise just buy a no issues car, since you will spend the difference in your time and repair cost to get this "project car" in comparable shape.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
If the motor is out where is the rear suspension? Unless they put the whole subframe back into the car without the traction motors .
Maybe the car has a new motor and that's the old one? Grasping at straws here, obviously, the car would not work with just one motor. If the car runs at all, it needs to have two working motors.

On a separate note, I am impressed that the motor actually fits in the trunk and that the rear suspension has not collapsed under the weight. The rear-self leveling suspension must be at its limit.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Maybe the car has a new motor and that's the old one? Grasping at straws here, obviously, the car would not work with just one motor. If the car runs at all, it needs to have two working motors.

On a separate note, I am impressed that the motor actually fits in the trunk and that the rear suspension has not collapsed under the weight. The rear-self leveling suspension must be at its limit.
Im more impressed that someone actually was able to lift the motor up and into the trunk. I tore the tender on my Bicep back in 2013 moving a traction motor .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts