Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm awaiting my Karma to arrive to my local dealership.

I have a question about the batter with the Karma but I guess this applies to all EV/Hybrid cars.

Lets say I own it 6 or so years. The battery has lived half or more of its life.

I'm sure this must be a consideration for any second hand buyer when it comes to used EV/Hybrid vehicles.

I think we can all agree this battery isn't cheap. I read 20k to replace if it's out of warranty.

That's pretty much why I want to get rid of it before the warranty ends.

·
Registered
996 Posts
qualitydaydream said:
I'm awaiting my Karma to arrive to my local dealership.

I have a question about the batter with the Karma but I guess this applies to all EV/Hybrid cars.

Lets say I own it 6 or so years. The battery has lived half or more of its life.

I'm sure this must be a consideration for any second hand buyer when it comes to used EV/Hybrid vehicles.

I think we can all agree this battery isn't cheap. I read 20k to replace if it's out of warranty.

That's pretty much why I want to get rid of it before the warranty ends.
Chances are when the battery gives up its ghost, the replacement will be a huge upgrade with regards to range.

20k seems like a bargain when you take into consideration that there have been Tesla owners that have paid in excess of 40k for new batteries.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
The Biggest problem now in getting a Fisker is that it's VERY HARD to get financed.
Not too many Banks know about FISKER. Other's want you to put down 40% or more. This is why they are not flying of the shelf yet.
I'm very happy about that. It makes this car even more EXCLUSIVE !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes i agree. You can become a member if not eligible otherwise by making a small ($20) donation to select charities, and opening an account with $5. We did this with a car for our daughter and got 1.49% financing.

kabalah70 said:
Go with a Credit Union. Banks are becoming a thing of the past for individuals.

·
Registered
320 Posts
In ten years, when and IF your battery needs replacement at that point, you can be certain that the cost of a replacement will be much less than it is today. Let's assume $4-$8K for argument's sake. It could be significantly lower. The cost today of these batteries is not necessarily based on high material cost, but is based on less efficient manufacturing and large start-up costs being amortized over a small production base. McKinsey & Co has estimated that Lithium Ion batteries should drop by 2/3 by 2020, or about $200 per kwh...implying $4K or so for a Fisker Karma battery. See this article here:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/study-says-cost-of-lithium-ion-batteries-could-drop-by-two-thirds/

For comparison purposes, my wife's 2006 BMW 750Li needed a new transmission in 2011 after 60,000 miles. It cost $10,000 to replace that transmission (warranty had expired). Yet you don't hear people wondering whether they should buy a BMW, but you do realize that is why you can buy a 2006 BMW 750Li right now for about $30K or less....because buyers factor in the cost of likely repairs. Same will occur here. Used car values always suck when you have expensive components. I always recommend buying an extended warranty at the point of buying a used luxury car. Fisker is no different than BMW or Mercedes on that score.

But consider this also: If you drive a Fisker Karma for 10 years, and put 10,000 miles on it per year, and if the ICE only runs 10-20% of the time, that internal combustion engine will only have gone effectively 10K - 20K miles. That baby could last 30 years!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts