Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a battery fault error indicator. The car drove find until you tried to change gear at which point it would just completely stop working.

You could power off, wait a bit and then start it and it would work again but randomly that light came on.

Took it to service and they said the battery pack or one cell in it has issues. They can't repair, Fisker isn't taking calls.

I could pay $10-15k to have the battery pack replaced by another used one. Not sure if this will be ok long term i.e. in 3months will this happen again and I'll have to pay the same again??

Not sure what the best course of action here is. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
I got a battery fault error indicator. The car drove find until you tried to change gear at which point it would just completely stop working.

You could power off, wait a bit and then start it and it would work again but randomly that light came on.

Took it to service and they said the battery pack or one cell in it has issues. They can't repair, Fisker isn't taking calls.

I could pay $10-15k to have the battery pack replaced by another used one. Not sure if this will be ok long term i.e. in 3months will this happen again and I'll have to pay the same again??

Not sure what the best course of action here is. Any advice?
First off where are you located as far purchasing a new battery that can be done more important is getting it installed and having the new battery software installed. You can PM if you like

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My car is currently in the Fisker Silicon Valley service center while I decide what to do.

From what I understand installation etc... isn't an issue they can do it, it's just whether I choose to go down that path or not.

·
Registered
996 Posts
My car is currently in the Fisker Silicon Valley service center while I decide what to do.

From what I understand installation etc... isn't an issue they can do it, it's just whether I choose to go down that path or not.

There are companies out there who have said that they can fix cell issues without a complete battery replacement (just a module replacement).

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Do you have any recommendations?

I believe http://www.hybridsupportsolutions.com/ said this would cost around $5k to maybe fix. I'd rather pay more for a working battery but maybe there's no real difference between a fully working one and one that's been patched up?
HSS will lead you in the right direction for sure I've been successfull in repairing the HV battery that had faulty electronics so far . If they have access to individual modules those can be switched out very time consuming I can tell you that . Keep us updated

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Fisker is also now working with A123/B456 directly to repair batteries in the field. Who better than the manufacturer? I'll PM you some information regarding this.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info Lormax!

I send the details to the Fisker Silicon Valley dealership and will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Had the same issue, my dealer got someone who replaced one small section of the battery and now it is working fine. Unless your battery starts quickly discharging while driving, you should not find any difference between old and new. If it discharges quickly than full module has to be replaced. Dealer should test battery for faulty cell and tell you the result. In my case problem was caused by loose resistor wire on one of the cells.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If this happened to me, I'd go with HSS.
But if you do go with HSS, now you are talking about a $9,000-$10,000 repair because not only will you pay $5000 for the repair, but you'll also have to pay HSS ~$4000 for their 'membership fee' (or whatever they call it).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Glad someone like HSS is trying to help support the car, but a $4,000 fee to get your foot in the door is a slap in the face....that business model makes ZERO sense.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Glad someone like HSS is trying to help support the car, but a $4,000 fee to get your foot in the door is a slap in the face....that business model makes ZERO sense.
We don't know if that's how HSS would charge for this repair. How about we hear from HSS on this as opposed to speculating about what would happen?

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
$9K for a repaired battery is better than $25-30 plus installation for a new one in my book.

·
Registered
546 Posts
@Fabulist: But I thought HSS would only deal with you once you've paid the $4000 fee? I find it doubtful that the HSS quote of $5000 for the repair included the $4000 membership fee, but perhaps I should not assume.

@Sigurd: True...$9000 is far better than $25,000-$30,000 for the repair. I was just pointing out that if it was going to cost $5000 plus the HSS fee, you'd be in it for $9000K rather than just $5000.

·
Registered
996 Posts
But if you do go with HSS, now you are talking about a $9,000-$10,000 repair because not only will you pay $5000 for the repair, but you'll also have to pay HSS ~$4000 for their 'membership fee' (or whatever they call it).

I don't think this is completely true:

according to this post:

http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/14...port-solutions-open-business-8.html#post70521

If you Choose not to subscribe, a service center of your choosing, or Harleyguy or Lormax from Fisker Buzz, can be employed by you to work on your vehicle when needed. They will call us as they have in the past and this service can be paid by the day if necessary by the service center/technician.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
The bottom line here the car needs to go too the dealership and hooked up to the work shop tool codes need to be read live data needs to be screen shot . Once that's done then a coarse of action can be made . Just so you know it's not the same A 123 as before it A 123 LLC I've all ready made contact with them making a inquiry on replacement parts . All I can say the email wasn't that promising they do have new batteries in stock very limited amount . I've all ready rebuilt three batteries for charging issues . The problem just so your aware of what happens is when you plug the car to charge you hear the contactors closed and about 15 to 25 seconds later it stops charging . If you experience this problem it could be bad High Voltage relays in the battery or a bad diode in the harness in the trunk or both problems . I've seen an increase in this problem also .

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have the same problem and am sending the Karma to the dealer. Will post the result but the fact that Fisker corp. does not have software or patches available, makes the dealer support negligible. Any way to pressure Fisker directly for some owner support?

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
I have the same problem and am sending the Karma to the dealer. Will post the result but the fact that Fisker corp. does not have software or patches available, makes the dealer support negligible. Any way to pressure Fisker directly for some owner support?
What makes you think they don't have the software ?? I have it unless its some sort of top secret software

1 - 20 of 41 Posts