Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this information in another thread titled "Injured Karma". It appears that the passenger side electric motor failed. The car has 11,761 miles and it is YH4KK14AA7CA000537. I understand that FA knew of a problem and that they came out with an improved unit. FA was going to do a recall, but it never happened. I am not sure who the manufacturer of the drive motor was (is). I am just curious if anyone has had a motor problem.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
There was never going to be a recall for the motors. They were just being replaced under warranty as they broke. Just like the exhausts. Just like the differentials. Just like the craptastic factory chargers.

JJE is the manufacturer. It's late and it's been a very long weekend, so excuse me if I remember the acronym incorrectly, but if I remember right it's Jin Jing Express.

There are many owners with motor problems, and I've been fixing and putting these cars back on the road for quite some time. I just finished two cars in the last week and a half, both back on the road running strong and completely quiet (no parking crawl noise, etc). Each is now covered by my parts and labor warranty.

·
Registered
996 Posts
There was never going to be a recall for the motors. They were just being replaced under warranty as they broke. Just like the exhausts. Just like the differentials. Just like the craptastic factory chargers.
When you say Charger are you referring to the OBCM or EVSE? As far as I know the charger is located in the vehicle and there is really no major issue with them. The thing that plugs into the car is just a connector and those have a high failure rate.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'm talking about the plug-in charger that plugs into the wall. I still consider the OBCM the charging module (On Board Charging Module). We'd be splitting hairs here if we really wanted to try and determine who is right.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'm talking about the plug-in charger that plugs into the wall. I still consider the OBCM the charging module (On Board Charging Module). We'd be splitting hairs here if we really wanted to try and determine who is right.
The plug in connector is not a charger. The charger is the OBCM made by Delta Electronics (3.3kw). The thing that plugs into the wall (made by Lear) is an EVSE connector. All this device does is ensure that the charger (OBCM) is accepting energy safely with the addition of a J1772 pilot signal.

Back in the day the chargers used to be external (6.6kw inductive etc) and that is where this external plug in charger fallacy started. The only current vehicles with external chargers are the ones that can accept a Level 3+ charge (i.e. Fast DC, CHADEMO, Superchargers etc), these are DC only. What is basically occurring is DC power is being dumped into the battery vs the AC->DC conversion process that usually occurs with an on-board charger (up to 10kw single or 20kw combined vs 120kw+ for DC Level 3).

All other chargers are built into the vehicles. All these connectors (usually J1772) are merely a safe means to transport energy from the outlet to the on-board charger for processing. No hairs to split just clearing up misconceptions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts