Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this was interesting...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...over-unauthorized-vanquish-based-thunderbolt/

"Last week, we showed you the Fisker Thunderbolt, a dramatic and beautiful Aston Martin rebodied by Henrik Fisker.

Today, Aston Martin is striking out against Fisker's concept, calling it an unauthorized copy of the British brand's work. As Jalopnik first reported, Aston is filing suit against Fisker.

Here's the thing: Henrik Fisker, before founding his eponymous high-end hybrid company that went belly-up, was a design director and member of the board at Aston Martin back in the day.

Now Aston Martin is fuming over similarities between Fisker's Thunderbolt and the car on which it's based.

And it gets even crazier: Fisker says the Thunderbolt is based on the Aston Martin Vanquish. Aston accuses Fisker of using an earlier DB9 or DBS as the donor for his show car, saying that Fisker is calling it a Vanquish to ride the coattails of that newer car's fame.

"Fisker's bad-faith intent to free-ride off the tremendous goodwill associated with the famous Aston Martin mark, wings logo, side vent mark, and Vanquish mark could not be more transparent," the automaker said in a legal filing against Fisker.

We're not sure where this is headed. When Fisker unveiled the car at Amelia Island, he mentioned that a limited-edition production version, which would be sold = through Galpin Auto Sports, would wear a more differentiated, less Aston-esque grille. Apparently that's not enough for Aston Martin.

Until the spat between Aston and Fisker is sorted out, maybe potential customers should stick with the 720-hp Mustang-based Fisker Rocket."

·
Registered
189 Posts
I love Astons and actually have a Vanquish, but I think this will go nowhere and is a waste for AML. Fisker has done the previous MB and BMW restyles without issue and Aston will have to prove how the Aston branded is harmed.

I think this case is DOA. If luxury watch makers can't prove how replica watches hurt their business, how can a restyled car negatively impact its donor marque, brand, and sales?

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Aston Martin is on shaky legal ground here. Fisker has to buy a donor car from Aston Martin to make a Thunderbolt, and Aston would have a hard time proving that they suffered any real loss here. If Fisker was taking a KIA and putting an Aston body kit on it, AM may have a shot, but if it's a genuine Aston under the new sheet metal, I don't see how Fisker could be deceiving anybody.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I read Fisker/Galpin caved and will not produce the car - shame on Aston for strong arming for no real reason. I guess Fisker had his fill of lawsuits and doesn't need any bad blood with his old home.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
I read Fisker/Galpin caved and will not produce the car - shame on Aston for strong arming for no real reason. I guess Fisker had his fill of lawsuits and doesn't need any bad blood with his old home.
I would guess that actual commercial considerations may have also played a role. Can't imagine that a lot of people want to take an already gorgeous AM and then change the body, except maybe these guys:

And we are all thankful that there are not a lot of these guys around.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Meanwhile, Afzal Kahn, the renowned british designer, has introduced the WB12 Vengeance which is also based on the Aston Martin DB9, with permission from AML to sell it (at the hefty price of £300,000 - around $470,000).
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/05/kahns-aston-martin-based-vengeance-goes.html
Only 15 to 20 of them will ever be built.

Personal opinion: no discussion, I prefer Fisker's Thunderbolt.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Personal opinion: no discussion, I prefer Fisker's Thunderbolt.
I concur. Fisker's approach was to maintain the Aston-ness of the DB9 and amplify it. The official redesign looks totally different, and frankly worse, than the original. Maybe that's why AM was cool with this one, it makes the car look worse, not better.:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts