Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Early Adopter
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searching members who installed curb alert type systems, their experience with the system, installation, etc. I'm thinking of putting one in, but don't have much experience or knowledge of the value of doing it.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
I have just been using the standard ones that come with the car: the Circuit Blade rims. The sickening crunching noise from the rims tells me that I am too close to the curb and need to back away a bit. :dodgy:

·
Early Adopter
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@socal - I was wondering about the electronic one @Fabulist - I'm concerned about hitting those block of concrete in the parking spaces that are never the same height and hard to judge when parking nose first (current front sensor do not pick up) - have to get the clubs in the truck and do not park backwards - which would solve the problem btw.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
I installed a warning sensor for the front of the car the customer kept hitting the parking curbs . Wonder if you can get same type of sensor and mount it to the rocker panel facing the curb . The sensor was about 4x4 inches mount it half way down the rocker panel just a thought . Would have to Google parking sensor

·
Registered
44 Posts
Searching members who installed curb alert type systems, their experience with the system, installation, etc. I'm thinking of putting one in, but don't have much experience or knowledge of the value of doing it.
Rear view mirrors and backing in protect from side 'curbing'. I make my chick jump out and bring me in if I'm headed in on a parking block.

·
Registered
334 Posts
OK, I know this is going out on a limb but throwing it out there...

It's well established that scraping the front on parking blocks is a huge issue as well.

Since this kit is wireless, is there any reason it couldn't be used with a mount on the underside of the front fender?

http://www.sears.com/pyle-plcm4300w...M6927874813?prdNo=25&blockNo=25&blockType=G25

The description states that the rear view monitor that comes with the kit clips to the rear view mirror.

While not elegant, wondering if it would work.

·
Fisker Driver
79 Posts
How about a bluetooth camera mounted in the front that you can access from a smart phone or iPad when you need it?? any thoughts? I've been looking for this for a long time...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Wireless Camera

How about a bluetooth camera mounted in the front that you can access from a smart phone or iPad when you need it?? any thoughts? I've been looking for this for a long time...
Ecodoc - I like the idea. I don't believe you can stream live video with Bluetooth, but I could be wrong. However, if we could find a camera that supports WiFi and that streams to a website (kind of like a wireless home video system), that could work. You would need to run a WiFi hotspot on your phone while in the car, which would allow the camera to stream the video to the Internet, and then the app on your phone could view the live video as you're pulling up to a curb/parking block. That actually doesn't seem that crazy to me.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ecodoc - I like the idea. I don't believe you can stream live video with Bluetooth, but I could be wrong. However, if we could find a camera that supports WiFi and that streams to a website (kind of like a wireless home video system), that could work. You would need to run a WiFi hotspot on your phone while in the car, which would allow the camera to stream the video to the Internet, and then the app on your phone could view the live video as you're pulling up to a curb/parking block. That actually doesn't seem that crazy to me.

I really like the idea, but I think, due to the normal mobile data latency, you will normally only see how you have hit the curb a second ago...

·
Registered
272 Posts
In the state of NJ when I got my drivers license like 35 years ago they make you parallel park. I guess not so true in other states...it's a easy and cheap fix..

Just saying.

LOL

ENJOY FATHERS DAY everyone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
334 Posts
Bert - That sensor looks like a really good solution to the curb rash problem. However, in addition to the challenges around scraping the front spoiler, I also find it hard to gauge how far to pull up in a 2-car spot. I often find the nose hanging into the next parking space and that's probably asking for someone to smack into my car. So I think I'm still going to look into the video camera option via the Android phone.

Stefan - yeah, the latency will be something to be aware of. If/when I get it installed, I'll test out how long the delay is and account for that when pulling up to a parking block/curb. I little extra time to park won't bother me if it spares me ripping the spoiler off the front. :D I will follow-up here once I've got an update.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts