Fisker Buzz Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
dennis said:
It would seem that for the Model X to be a big success Tesla will have to make changes to deal with the practical objections to the Falcon doors. Sure, they are cool, but if potential buyers are worried about bike roof racks, Thule boxes, home garages, parking garages, etc., it is going to reduce the available market significantly.
The final Model X will very likely have normal doors, for the exact reasons you mention, and because it's an expensive solution. Maybe they will keep them as an option for those who really want them.

Dutch, I agree and said so in the Tesla Buzz forum. I just don't think they will make it to the production model. But that's okay. I care more about space and all wheel drive. If the falcon wing concept is all about being easier to strap a child in a safety seat, I would think making the aft seats rear-facing would be better. Except I am not sure how well the rear fairs in a rear-end collision compared to the middle.

Dutch said:
The final Model X will very likely have normal doors, for the exact reasons you mention, and because it's an expensive solution. Maybe they will keep them as an option for those who really want them.
Don't underestimate the power of a visionary tyrant CEO. If Steve Jobs could keep Flash support off the iPhone/iPad, Elon Musk can keep falcon wing doors on the Model X.

I wonder if those doors precipitated the departure of the Tesla Chief Engineer and chassis engineer last month. I remember reading at the time a speculation that those departures most likely related to the Model X, not the Model S.

Where's the eye rolling smiley? "Execs leave after doors some people don't like make it into production!".

I'm pretty sure the execs left (mostly) for the stated reasons. Rawlinson has a family to raise in the UK and felt it was time to get back to it; the other guy was his flunky and followed him out the door.

Back to the doors, I'm sure they'll stay. Tyrant or not, he got the Roadster door sill lowered, the retractable handles are still on the S, and there was much fanfare about the doors -- I doubt they're going anywhere.

In fact, they tend to be very upfront about things, for example the camera mirrors. Most companies show off a concept car and strut about like they're hot $&%*. Tesla was very upfront that the mirrors may not make it if they can't make headway with legislators. If they were doubtful about the doors, they've shown no signs.

Yeah, don't see the camera mirrors making it as that seems to be very trendy with concepts, i.e. Cadillac Converj, and never makes it to market. Understandably, in some aspects, as I don't know if I would trust my rearview to software issues. I think I will do some reading about CAN buses and what the problems are with them.

Article title is PR fluff, but a pretty in depth video here: http://gigaom.com/cleantech/tesla-says-reservations-of-model-x-have-hit-40m-worth-of-cars/

So again, they seem 100% certain the doors are making it... Mirrors, not so much. I don't mind either way personally.

I don't think I have ever had a car towed without a flat bed yet this blogger is trying to shock readers into thinking you can't move a bricked car. I am also pretty sure no car will start after sitting for months without a tender unless maybe you have a solar panel roof.

marcus said:
I don't think I have ever had a car towed without a flat bed yet this blogger is trying to shock readers into thinking you can't move a bricked car. I am also pretty sure no car will start after sitting for months without a tender unless maybe you have a solar panel roof.
I expect it would be quite difficult to move a bricked Roadster. The parking pawl locks the rear axle when the vehicle is off. For towing the vehicle must be turned on and placed into tow mode to disable the parking lock. This can't be done if the vehicle is dead.

Don A said:
marcus said:
I expect it would be quite difficult to move a bricked Roadster. The parking pawl locks the rear axle when the vehicle is off. For towing the vehicle must be turned on and placed into tow mode to disable the parking lock. This can't be done if the vehicle is dead.
Tow trucks do not have problems towing cars and Tesla batteries don't cost 40k.

marcus said:
Tow trucks do not have problems towing cars and Tesla batteries don't cost 40k.
No doubt they can. Just saying if the vehicle is parked nose first in a garage without direct access by a rollback it could be a bit of a job. Tow hook point is only on the front and they will need to put dollies under the rears to move it.

More important, I believe, is this:
Speed-sensitive steering assistance is provided by an electrohydraulic system that runs on the car’s 12-volt system. This low-voltage system powers the on-board accessories, lighting, and infotainment system, and stores power in a conventional lead-acid battery. The roof of the Karma has solar panels that feed the system with up to 120 watts of power on sunny days. While this electricity never powers the wheels directly, it can reduce the amount of low-voltage power pulled from the high-voltage system, and could, in theory, add up to 200 miles of additional range per year. Cool, yes, but it’s mostly there to make a statement, we suspect.
source

Basically, everything that does "power drain while off" is run off this separate, conventional-car system. The li-ion batteries are free to sustain themselves for long periods with no draw at all.

It is a neat concept. I think I would like a more elegant solution, however, something that does not require another set of wheels, brakes, signal lights, etc. I would be cool with a drop in generator that used four mounting bolts and a aircraft style brake-away valve system to tie into a fuel tank that is in the existing car. I am not sure how good an idea it would be to drive with a near empty tank all the time until you wanted to use it. Perhaps, a bolt on tank as well? I know that would be more work than this.

Reading is fundamental.
When I first clicked on the article link all I got was the pictures - maybe that is happening for everyone. Refreshing the page after seeing your post revealed the text about "interior exploration".

Nonetheless, it is ugly IMO.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.