Fisker Buzz Forums banner

Anyone else waiting to see what the Model X by Tesla looks like tonight?

15K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  AnOutsider 
SoCalGuy said:
Wow - how underwhelming!!! It just looks like a bloated Model S.

C'mon guys!
Huh. Aside from the gull-wing doors, it looks ... boring. The gull-wing doors are interesting, but look somehow wrong to me, too.

(I don't really mind "boring" in a car-as-appliance, but I think electric cars need to look exciting for a while yet, so that they become desirable, before they become mainstream and boring.)

More important, I believe, is this:
Speed-sensitive steering assistance is provided by an electrohydraulic system that runs on the car’s 12-volt system. This low-voltage system powers the on-board accessories, lighting, and infotainment system, and stores power in a conventional lead-acid battery. The roof of the Karma has solar panels that feed the system with up to 120 watts of power on sunny days. While this electricity never powers the wheels directly, it can reduce the amount of low-voltage power pulled from the high-voltage system, and could, in theory, add up to 200 miles of additional range per year. Cool, yes, but it’s mostly there to make a statement, we suspect.
source

Basically, everything that does "power drain while off" is run off this separate, conventional-car system. The li-ion batteries are free to sustain themselves for long periods with no draw at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.