Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to start out saying I think the Fisker might be one of the most beautiful cars ever built.

I am in automotive salvage business and we deal with high end sport and luxury vehicle parts. The Fisker's are so rare and I never see them for sale at the different insurance auctions I purchase vehicles at.

I know parts are rare and I wanted to buy 3-4 of them and develop a good inventory of used Fisker Parts...then possibly buy one for myself.

Having said all that, does anybody know of any damaged, wrecked, or broken cars for sale?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
I wanted to start out saying I think the Fisker might be one of the most beautiful cars ever built.

I am in automotive salvage business and we deal with high end sport and luxury vehicle parts. The Fisker's are so rare and I never see them for sale at the different insurance auctions I purchase vehicles at.

I know parts are rare and I wanted to buy 3-4 of them and develop a good inventory of used Fisker Parts...then possibly buy one for myself.

Having said all that, does anybody know of any damaged, wrecked, or broken cars for sale?

Thanks!
Obviously, @FiskerPhilly and @harlyeguy are great resources.

You may have tried this already, but just in case, searching "Fisker Karma Salvage for Sale" on Google brings up several sites listing damaged Karmas for sale. Not sure how accurate or timely the listings may be, but it's a good place to start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your business model won't work. Even if you do get lucky and win 3 Karma's for lets say $20k each at the insurance auction in order to use these cars for parts, i'm afraid you will never see that money again. You have to realize that Fisker Karma is a very complex car. Who would want to buy these used parts off of these wrecked Karma's? There are a very few people like FiskerPhilly, HarleyGuy, AlexPop that work on these cars, they all have access to a brand new parts inventory, i don't think they would want to use the parts removed from wrecked Karma's to repair their clients cars.
If you want to buy a salvage Karma for yourself in order to fix and drive it, there could be a problem too, if its just a minor fender/bender damage it will be selling for only like 20% less than what they go for on eBay from time to time, if its something more serious like a side impact or front impact where the car must go on the frame machine to pull something back, that just won't work because the Karma's body is all aluminum, so if you are in a car salvage business you would know that it will pull back only a couple of inches and rip off. These cars do pop up at the salvage auctions from time to time, but it seems to me like most of the time the seller is not an insurance company, but some dealer trying to unload the car after realizing its not fixable/not worth to fix it.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
Your business model won't work. Even if you do get lucky and win 3 Karma's for lets say $20k each at the insurance auction in order to use these cars for parts, i'm afraid you will never see that money again. You have to realize that Fisker Karma is a very complex car. Who would want to buy these used parts off of these wrecked Karma's? There are a very few people like FiskerPhilly, HarleyGuy, AlexPop that work on these cars, they all have access to a brand new parts inventory, i don't think they would want to use the parts removed from wrecked Karma's to repair their clients cars.
If you want to buy a salvage Karma for yourself in order to fix and drive it, there could be a problem too, if its just a minor fender/bender damage it will be selling for only like 20% less than what they go for on eBay from time to time, if its something more serious like a side impact or front impact where the car must go on the frame machine to pull something back, that just won't work because the Karma's body is all aluminum, so if you are in a car salvage business you would know that it will pull back only a couple of inches and rip off. These cars do pop up at the salvage auctions from time to time, but it seems to me like most of the time the seller is not an insurance company, but some dealer trying to unload the car after realizing its not fixable/not worth to fix it.
As I read the first post in the thread, @Darkostoj is in the car salvage business and wants to add Karma parts to the inventory.

And although what @SpeedyZX9R about the Karma is true, the same could be said about every other luxury car that is in production and yet, somehow, auto salvage companies, for example Copart, have managed to stay in business carrying salvage-titled luxury cars, such as these Ferraris, for example. (BTW, they also have a salvage Karma for sale)

I would think that it would be a lot more productive, and far less annoying, to answer the reasonable question asked by the OP, rather than trying to teach them the economics of their own business.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I read the first post in the thread, @Darkostoj is in the car salvage business and wants to add Karma parts to the inventory.

And although what @SpeedyZX9R about the Karma is true, the same could be said about every other luxury car that is in production and yet, somehow, auto salvage companies, for example Copart, have managed to stay in business carrying salvage-titled luxury cars, such as these Ferraris, for example. (BTW, they also have a salvage Karma for sale)

I would think that it would be a lot more productive, and far less annoying, to answer the reasonable question asked by the OP, rather than trying to teach them the economics of their own business.
I couldn't have said it better myself!

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
I have one with a blown gas engine its a low Vin number car I also believe it has the newer traction motors in it. The car will drive on battery but thats only good for bringing the car in and out of the shop . Its silver and is an Eco Chic with the blue interior . Feel free to contact me any time.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have one with a blown gas engine its a low Vin number car I also believe it has the newer traction motors in it. The car will drive on battery but thats only good for bringing the car in and out of the shop . Its silver and is an Eco Chic with the blue interior . Feel free to contact me any time.

OT: how may I blow a gas engine in the karma?

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
OT: how may I blow a gas engine in the karma?
Several ways but the most common is a GM manufacturing defect called "Porous Block" this is due to the foam cast process of the LNF motor. Coolant loss would lead to catastrophic head gasket failure. During the casting process GM removed excessive aluminum from the block which lead to loss of coolant and a multitude of issues. There is a fix for this that requires replacing the ICE with one that uses a different block casting process (sand). Of course could be something else but this is the most common manufacturing defect associated with these engines. We have done a motor swap with a variant of this motor with great results; much better NVH profile.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
The Coupler broke when it broke it jammed and the timing chain jumped or the tensioner let go and and the timing chain jumped broke off the guides and snapped off the timing chain guide bolt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts