Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not heard anything about the Sunset in quite a while. Anyone have any info? Is it still scheduled for production? Thx.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
cbermudez8 said:
I have not heard anything about the Sunset in quite a while. Anyone have any info? Is it still scheduled for production? Thx.
Fisker doesn't do updates. Sunset, Surf, Nina, the Karma you ordered 3 years ago.....just sit back and wait.

BillyO

·
Registered
55 Posts
I remember seeing somewhere that Sunset is on the backburner. The Surf is next up for production, then the Nina, not sure after that.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Yes, in several of the articles regarding the Surf, they say that it will be 2013 and the Sunset, I think is reserved for 2015. This article says 2013 for both, but I agree with BillyO, just sit back and watch it slide until it really comes out. I feel really bad for those who put down $25k already on one.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/production-fisker-sunset-convertible-confirmed-frankfurt

·
Registered
95 Posts
With the top having to go somewhere and the batteries having to go somewhere, there can't be any trunk space in the Sunset. Gorgeous car though!

Has anybody seen the Surf prototype in person? How can you have a shooting brake with all those batteries and control equipment in there?

·
Registered
854 Posts
magnus said:
I remember seeing somewhere that Sunset is on the backburner. The Surf is next up for production, then the Nina, not sure after that.
Yeah, that was the impression I got from Ray Lane when I was at that Kleiner Perkins media event. He said the shooting brake was important for the European market (don't think the Surf was unveiled yet), but that a convertible is a very limited market (which might have also been a swipe at the Roadster).

·
Registered
457 Posts
The newspaper also says, by the way, that the Fisker Karma S or Sunset, a two-door convertible with a retractable hardtop, will go into production in March 2013. That model was first shown at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show.
So a year after the Surf was revealed, they're going to show off a production version of it, and 6 months later start building the Sunset? Overpromise?

*edit* whoops, source: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1073439_production-2013-fisker-surf-to-launch-at-paris-motor-show-report

·
Registered
216 Posts
AnOutsider said:
The newspaper also says, by the way, that the Fisker Karma S or Sunset, a two-door convertible with a retractable hardtop, will go into production in March 2013. That model was first shown at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show.
So a year after the Surf was revealed, they're going to show off a production version of it, and 6 months later start building the Sunset? Overpromise?

*edit* whoops, source: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1073439_production-2013-fisker-surf-to-launch-at-paris-motor-show-report
Perhaps setting target dates helps attract new investors. :-/

·
Registered
913 Posts
matrix said:
AnOutsider said:
Perhaps setting target dates helps attract new investors. :-/
Or, they're changing the schedule around based on projected sales? I don't know how many Sunset convertibles they might sell but I suspect more than half of the Surf sales were anticipated for Europe, and with the European economy sliding back into depression territory, they might have decided that there's more profit in producing the Sunset earlier.

(I'm no marketing guy, have no numbers, and this is just random speculation.)

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
The Surf is barely different than the Karma, so it will be easy to implement. As for the Sunset, it shares a good portion of the car too, the toughest things will be the reinforcing and getting the roof to work. That would really suck if a software glitch had it coming up in mid-70 mph driving. I never owned a convertible, but I imagine it would not be good for the roof.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First Fisker needs to get Karma in to production, after that they can start considering Surf and after that maybe Sunset. Surf is almost same car as Karma, but Sunset is much more unique and will require more engineering and money.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
At this point, it does not appear that the Sunset is even on the list to get on the list. For the right amount of money, Fisker will build you a Surf, but I don't think even that option is available for Sunset.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Fisker had capped sales for the Surf at 2k units on Kpt2 with a very low dev budget.

The dev budget of the Surf was close to 1/3 that of the Sunset. The Surf would only be certified for the EU & NA market where as the Sunset would be certified for the world markets (only way dev of the Sunset would pencil out).

To put it plainly Fisker had planned to release the K6 SUV before the Sunset(somewhere in 2016/17). K2 (internal name for Sunset) would originally be built on KPT2 shortly thereafter replaced by KPT3.

With all this being said there is at least one K2 Sunset based on KPT1 (works!) that will probably be crushed. So sad
Why would they crush it? Seems like they could raise cash by selling it to a car collector.

·
Registered
996 Posts
At this point, it does not appear that the Sunset is even on the list to get on the list. For the right amount of money, Fisker will build you a Surf, but I don't think even that option is available for Sunset.
Fisker had capped sales for the Surf at 2k units on Kpt2 with a very low dev budget.

The dev budget of the Surf was close to 1/3 that of the Sunset. The Surf would only be certified for the EU & NA market where as the Sunset would be certified for the world markets (only way dev of the Sunset would pencil out).

To put it plainly Fisker had planned to release the K6 SUV before the Sunset(somewhere in 2016/17). K2 (internal name for Sunset) would originally be built on KPT2 shortly thereafter replaced by KPT3.

With all this being said there is at least one K2 Sunset based on KPT1 (worked before but last I saw neglected and in horrible condition ) that will probably be crushed. So sad

·
Registered
996 Posts
Why would they crush it? Seems like they could raise cash by selling it to a car collector.
can't do it all those cars have to be crushed they cannot be sold or even used for parts. If the DOE takes over the cars will be crushed ASAP for liability issues. Sad. Only way you save that car is if you take it.. Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
can't do it all those cars have to be crushed they cannot be sold or even used for parts. If the DOE takes over the cars will be crushed ASAP for liability issues. Sad. Only way you save that car is if you take it.. Good luck
Since the Sunset did not go through any of the testing and certifications (as far as I know), it would not even be road legal in the US. DOE will try to maximize their recovery, so if there is any value in the Sunset prototypes, they will most likely sell it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Since the Sunset did not go through any of the testing and certifications (as far as I know), it would not even be road legal in the US. DOE will try to maximize their recovery, so if there is any value in the Sunset prototypes, they will most likely sell it.
The legal ramifications are far greater than that. The Sunset was already beginning to get stripped (last I saw it). Maybe after they crush it someone can get it. 0% chance of someone legally getting it.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
The legal ramifications are far greater than that. The Sunset was already beginning to get stripped (last I saw it). Maybe after they crush it someone can get it. 0% chance of someone legally getting it.
I did not know that they were stripping it. Since I don't have Goldfinger's resources and would not be able to extract a sunset out of a crushed cube of Aluminium, maybe I just wait for someone else to build an electric/serial hybrid convertible. :(

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Wow Smooth, I am impressed with how much detailed inside information you had. That must have been one heck of a tour you got, and you must have some heavenly memory. Keep it coming.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts