Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the subject line says, I've got my everyday car up for sale and considering purchasing a Fisker. I fell in love the first time I saw one and would really like to give it a whirl. With this said, I thought I'd reach out to new owners to see how they like the car.

I read this thread, which helped (thanks!): http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-fisker-karma/4473-fisker-karma-buyers-checklist.html.

Nevertheless I appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance.

Lance

·
Registered
101 Posts
Be prepared for lots of people talking to you or giving you the thumbs up. You will get more looks in this car than a lambo. It is a pretty comfortable car actually. It is quite a big car, the back up camera is handy. Servicing is expensive and you will go through tires faster than a regular luxury car. It will require some patience and some learning. It is a pretty cool car, might as well buy it, money is for spending.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Just bought mine Jan 10th. Love it so far! Be prepared to learn to live with and love its many unique quirks. It's like marrying a super model -- you'll have to learn to put up with a few things, but it's probably worth it! I took to putting the "Fisker History/Story/Specs" into a word doc that I keep a half dozen printed copies of on hand to just give to people. You will have questions, and this forum is great to get you answers. (Many of those questions have already been asked & answered -- read and read!) And, you'll get a 6-figure car for a 5-figure price.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Be prepared for lots of people talking to you or giving you the thumbs up. You will get more looks in this car than a lambo. It is a pretty comfortable car actually. It is quite a big car, the back up camera is handy. Servicing is expensive and you will go through tires faster than a regular luxury car. It will require some patience and some learning. It is a pretty cool car, might as well buy it, money is for spending.
I have found the FISKER can hold it's own as an owner of both mentioned cars.
You will get plenty of looks/attention/questions about the car. I really enjoy mine, as it has the super car look and is a pleasure to drive. Great bang for the buck at current prices!

Enjoy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. JCMorril, what type of quirks do you speak of? As many of you know it's a risk purchasing one, considering the car was really a one-year production car. I do love the looks of it and I've never owned a 'green' car before. Needless to say I'm learning quickly from this forum and the internet. Thanks again!

Lance

·
Registered
334 Posts
@racelance - I agree with the previous 2 posters that the car has quirks. I'll highlight a few minor ones that have been passed down from original owners to second owners:

1) You should not plug in the car to start charging it until the software has shutdown (which is about 2 minutes after you turn off the car).

2) You should not open the doors or trunk while it's charging or plugged into a charger as this "awakens" the car

3) When the car is in Hill mode, the front sensors don't work

4) When the car is "asleep", the light in the trunk won't illuminate. If the car is "awake", the light in the trunk works fine.

5) The bluetooth is great for streaming music from your phone. However for phone calls, the person calling you hears a strong echo. Some have found that certain phones don't have this issue.

6) If you leave the A/C turned on when you shut off the car, the engine fan may run while you charge the car.

This is an amazing car. The styling and looks are second to none, and you can literally drive a year with almost no gas usage. I purchased my Karma secondhand just over a year ago. Since that time, I've put 4500 miles on it as a "night and weekends" backup to my Volt which is my daily driver. In that time with the Karma, I have used about 30 gallons for 750 miles via 2 one-way trips from Orange County to Phoenix. The remaining 3750 miles were all electric, except for about 5 gallons of gas.

Despite all of those examples above, I still wholeheartedly recommend the Karma. Just be sure to take your time and have someone qualified mechanically to repair Fiskers involved to assess the car (in person, or remote via @FiskerPhilly and his traveling Fisker laptop). It may be worth flying someone in to look at the car as you could uncover a hidden issue that could cost thousands after you buy it. If you find a sound Karma, you can't beat the amount of car you're getting for $50K-$65K. Even getting one that knowlingly needs some repairs can still be a great buy at $45K-$50K depending on what is wrong with the car.

Good luck and definitely leverage the forum threads. There is a TON of useful information here, you just need to poke around and find it to learn from a lot of practical experiences.

·
Registered
192 Posts
1) You should not plug in the car to start charging it until the software has shutdown (which is about 2 minutes after you turn off the car).

2) You should not open the doors or trunk while it's charging or plugged into a charger as this "awakens" the car

race lance, I've had my Karma for 3 years and have not had the above "procedural" quirks.'

If you're running the A/C or its a very hot day, you may have the battery cooling fan run for about 2 minutes after parking. Let the fans stop and then you can plug it into the charger. Otherwise, if its quiet after parking, just plug it in.
If you plug into the charger while the fan is running, chances are the fans will never stop while charging.

Opening the doors or trunk while charging is not going to alter the charging process. Certainly the car "wakes up" as the courtesy lights go on and the car gets ready for you, but just close the door and it goes back to sleep.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Search in the form there is lot of info
The in summarize the blue tooth software they are all minor glitches blue tooth very stable compare it with my panamera ..
But the major issues are RDM ,motors soft splines and batteries modules,coupler.
Rdm rebuild cost up to 13k
Batteries each modules 5k ,,coupler 3k..
Early vin late vin no different rdm will fail at one point on 98%on the cars
I see it 5k 10k 20k 25k ,I saw it vin 16xx and low vin,,

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
59 Posts
Search in the form there is lot of info
The in summarize the blue tooth software they are all minor glitches blue tooth very stable compare it with my panamera ..
But the major issues are RDM ,motors soft splines and batteries modules,coupler.
Rdm rebuild cost up to 13k
Batteries each modules 5k ,,coupler 3k..
Early vin late vin no different rdm will fail at one point on 98%on the cars
I see it 5k 10k 20k 25k ,I saw it vin 16xx and low vin,,

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
If i read this post it would scare me off as a buyer 20k in repairs? and all these issues are all common and will happen over time?
I would venture to guess most owners have spent less than 5k on repairs for their cars although i could be mistaken.

·
Registered
829 Posts
There's also a VERY good chance that most of the fixes have been done to any car that is still running today, and sounds "normal" when you drive it.

My car has one more quirk not listed above ... I have a weak cell in my battery. What this means is that I don't get my last 10 or so STEALTH miles (it will drop from 10 to 0 in seconds, and I have to go to Sport mode). Once a week, my Check Engine Light (CEL) pops on to tell me about this problem. So, I have a "OBDLink" device which lets me use my phone to clear the code and get my digital speedometer back. Some day, I'll have the battery corrected. (Kinda hoping that the new Fisker gives us some new options there, and I'll have saved myself the cost of an existing battery cell.)

The touch screen response is sometimes annoyingly slow to respond. Other times it's just fine. It has a polarized screen that is difficult to see if you have polarized sunglasses.

The rear seats are made primarily for people under 5'10". Not a problem for my family.

In addition to WattGas' list above ... the car isn't great for putting into "storage". It wants to be regularly charged and discharged. If you do leave it for more than a week, you'd want to attach a trickle charger to the 12 volt system. The computer is always working, and using power. When you turn the car "on" (you really don't "start" the car as much as "boot" it :)), it uses power from the drive batteries to charge the 12 volt. If you go weeks without doing that, the 12 volt will go flat unless you keep it charged. Since the doors are electric, it's a bad thing to lose the 12 volt system.

·
Registered
334 Posts

race lance, I've had my Karma for 3 years and have not had the above "procedural" quirks.'

If you're running the A/C or its a very hot day, you may have the battery cooling fan run for about 2 minutes after parking. Let the fans stop and then you can plug it into the charger. Otherwise, if its quiet after parking, just plug it in.
If you plug into the charger while the fan is running, chances are the fans will never stop while charging.

Opening the doors or trunk while charging is not going to alter the charging process. Certainly the car "wakes up" as the courtesy lights go on and the car gets ready for you, but just close the door and it goes back to sleep.
@Bert Yeman - I certainly have less practical experience with the Karma, so take this with a grain of salt. On the opening the doors comment while charging, I was only sharing some info I was told or read (can't remember which) and I have tried to practice since I've owned the Karma.

I did a search of the forums and found this old post from @Harleyguy. He mentions not waking the car while it's charging. Can't say for sure if that advice/best practice changed at some point when the cars got to 5.10.

Regardless, here's the post:

http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/21-charging-chargers/968-information-about-charging-3.html#post8773

·
Registered
189 Posts
Depends what you are use to driving and looking for in the car. I am sure you love owning the car if you can as mentioned tolerate a quirky car.

Looks aside, If you're not performance minded and coming out of a pedestrian Toyota, Chevy, Chrysler, Honda, Volvo, etc...you will be impressed, but if you are driving a premium German (I'm not talking C class or 3/4 series) car like a A8, S-class, 7 series, or their kid-size variants the car is lacking on multiple fronts - features, fit/finish, materials, and notably the well documented poor the software. The car was released prematurely, but despite all the many short comings I like the car, but am disappointed that a car that should be a "premium car" lacks features that you find in entry luxury cars like a Hyundai Genius (blind spot sensors, vented seats, laser cruise control, tpms readout, etc).

·
Registered
189 Posts
I came from a PANAMERA turbo as my DD and i don't miss it. Even the silly 0-60 times of 3.6 sec:D
Coming from a Panamera I am shocked. I can understand from a looks standpoint, but not from the other aspects. Driving a Karma in sport mode and hearing that pathetic sound from the 4 banger and being unable to effectively pass on demand is depressing and the graininess of the touch panel resolution should leave much to be desired. For some people performance and other aspects are not a factor especially if you are just looking for a boulevard cruiser, but if your more along lines of a performance oriented (performance to match the looks) I think that buyer would be disappointed if they are not fully read into what they are buying or have higher expectations that match previous premium cars owned or other cars in their stable.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Coming from a Panamera I am shocked. I can understand from a looks standpoint, but not from the other aspects. Driving a Karma in sport mode and hearing that pathetic sound from the 4 banger and being unable to effectively pass on demand is depressing and the graininess of the touch panel resolution should leave much to be desired. For some people performance and other aspects are not a factor especially if you are just looking for a boulevard cruiser, but if your more along lines of a performance oriented (performance to match the looks) I think that buyer would be disappointed if they are not fully read into what they are buying or have higher expectations that match previous premium cars owned or other cars in their stable.
I'm pretty sure there are 3-4 previous Panamera owners who now DD the Fisker.
I've only used the sport mode 2-3 times in 12 months of owning the car so i don't hear the engine(agree it's not a pretty sound..lol). If i want to travel real fast i take something else from the garage. I prefer the boulevard cruiser for the vast majority of my driving. The FISKER has surpassed my expectations overall. I also fully expect a software update over the next 2-3 months that will address some of the other mentioned items.
Have a great week fellas!

·
Registered
51 Posts
My Karma has been my daily driver now for 15 months. It is by far the best car I've owned and I love to drive it. The looks are non stop and car nerds and regular people come up to me almost every day to chat about the car. It's amazing the reaction you see.
Yes the car has quirks but the community is amazing and I've solved many of the issues myself or helped get information and parts to the good people who do repairs locally.

Yes the tires (especially the front) wear quickly, but at $170 per tire, it doesn't hurt as much as my friends with other supercars. Not even close.

The car loves to be driven in electric mode. Avoid Sport mode completely unless you run out of juice. It's pointless, loud and I think just causes issues.

Don't store it if you can help it. A car like this deserves to be driven. For the cost right now (mid 50k range) it's a fantastic buy even if you think you may have to put 10k into the car over the next few years.

Curbing the passenger side is a real issue, so always over exaggerate the distance when you park on the street. The rims will take the brunt of it.

Every day I get into my Karma, I get a twinge of excitement. The comfort of the cockpit. The anticipation of an open stretch of road where I can floor it. The looks and smiles and thumbs up and general WTF?

If the car dropped dead tomorrow, I would miss driving it way more than I would regret the purchase. Even today, almost 1.5 years later, every now and then I walk up to the car, and I stop and stare. I can't believe how beautiful she is and that I get to drive her.

I don't know what price you can put on that.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If i read this post it would scare me off as a buyer 20k in repairs? and all these issues are all common and will happen over time?
I would venture to guess most owners have spent less than 5k on repairs for their cars although i could be mistaken.
im sorry i didnt mean scared you off, but this the reality you could spend that much
based om my personal experience my 2 cars motors rdm failed one @ 23k one at 26k
i was lucky original owner claimant under CSP fisker covered big chunk.. ( omne of the cars RDM replaced @ 9k under warranty..
also i was lucky live close to ALEX :)
ALEX POP did fantastic job , the cars drove much nicer he re torque the suspension.. the REGEN more responsive ..etc..

·
Registered
913 Posts
My Karma has been my daily driver now for 15 months. It is by far the best car I've owned and I love to drive it. [mass snip] I don't know what price you can put on that.
Agreed - mine has been mine (my "DD" as you put it) for almost 31 months (basically since September 1st, 2012).

I disagree on Sport: I use it on freeways for longer distance drives, so as to preserve EV mode for off-freeway driving, and it doesn't hurt other than that I hate to use that smelly, toxic, highly flammable and dangerous liquid concoction known as "gasoline".

(My other main issue has to do with folding myself into and out of the car, though once I'm in it's quite comfortable.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Depends what you are use to driving and looking for in the car. I am sure you love owning the car if you can as mentioned tolerate a quirky car.

Looks aside, If you're not performance minded and coming out of a pedestrian Toyota, Chevy, Chrysler, Honda, Volvo, etc...you will be impressed, but if you are driving a premium German (I'm not talking C class or 3/4 series) car like a A8, S-class, 7 series, or their kid-size variants the car is lacking on multiple fronts - features, fit/finish, materials, and notably the well documented poor the software. The car was released prematurely, but despite all the many short comings I like the car, but am disappointed that a car that should be a "premium car" lacks features that you find in entry luxury cars like a Hyundai Genius (blind spot sensors, vented seats, laser cruise control, tpms readout, etc).
Funny you mention Audi, here's what I'm selling now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-S4-Prestige-quattro-/221725479508.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone!

Lance

1 - 20 of 38 Posts