Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Personally, it doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy that an ICE is 5 times more likely to catch on fire.

Even just one instance of an EV spontaneously combusting in my garage would make me very nervous.

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
Personally, it doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy that an ICE is 5 times more likely to catch on fire.

Even just one instance of an EV spontaneously combusting in my garage would make me very nervous.
"In this particular case, we don’t yet know the precise cause, but have definitively determined that it did not originate in the battery, the charging system, the adapter or the electrical receptacle, as these components were untouched by the fire.”

Are you still nervous?

Remember that a cooling fan issue caused the Fisker fires and yet most of the news articles implied it was the battery.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, this sucks. The stock doesn't go down any more with Tesla cars catch on fire news. So much for the arbitrage that worked every time.

·
Registered
859 Posts
"In this particular case, we don’t yet know the precise cause, but have definitively determined that it did not originate in the battery, the charging system, the adapter or the electrical receptacle, as these components were untouched by the fire.”

Are you still nervous?

Remember that a cooling fan issue caused the Fisker fires and yet most of the news articles implied it was the battery.
I was talking about EVs in general. Any EV that catches fire in a garage while unplugged is cause for concern. We're dealing with new technology and anyone with an EV is field testing it. Yes, determining the cause is what it's all about.

In that context, comparing the fire stats between 10-year-old non-fuel technology and 100-year-old fuel technology is apples and oranges, IMO.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Unfortunate incident but I applaud the way Tesla's management handled the situation. Offering to cover damages versus saying that's why they have homeowners insurance is commendable. For such a young company their crisis management team is a cut above.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Unfortunate incident but I applaud the way Tesla's management handled the situation. Offering to cover damages versus saying that's why they have homeowners insurance is commendable. For such a young company their crisis management team is a cut above.
Yah, but note something very important. The owner refused Tesla's offer to cover the damages. Read between the lines a bit here...I'm sure that offer came with a big string attached; i.e., to never sue Tesla. The owner is smart not to accept their offer and instead let the facts unfold and make a determination of what action to take (or not) against Tesla.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yah, but note something very important. The owner refused Tesla's offer to cover the damages. Read between the lines a bit here...I'm sure that offer came with a big string attached; i.e., to never sue Tesla. The owner is smart not to accept their offer and instead let the facts unfold and make a determination of what action to take (or not) against Tesla.
I agree. Settlement offers are almost always accompanied by a Release of Liability, which often includes some form of nondisclosure clause.

On the one hand, I think it's commendable that Tesla is so supportive of its customers; on the other hand it's prudent for a damaged party to discuss the situation with his/her insurance company and/or attorney before signing such a release.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts