Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am the proud new owner of a beautiful black Karma eco-chic (#688). I've had the car for only 16hrs or so and just getting to know her. She has some problems that I will get into in another post but overall I am super happy to have it in the garage.
On a quick note - are there any recommendations for tires? They are not a common size (and not much available on Tirerack). Are the oem bespoke tires still available?
Any suggestions on chargers?
I am sure most of my questions can be found in other posts and I will start digging but I did want to introduce myself.

Randy
("iqtpilot" on the board)

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Randy,

Welcome to the community. Welcoming a new member is always a happy occasion. The question of tires is one that is often debated here and there are fans of both the F1s and Yokohama tires here. Your options are fairly limited with the standard 22'' rims. If you get the 21'' winter wheels, you will probably have more options, but that is a fairly expensive way to go. This thread is a good example of the discussion about tires. If you do a search for the term "Yokohama", you will find many many posts covering this particular topic. My personal experience with the GY F-1s has been good. I got 30K miles out of the original set and I am on my second set now.

The charger question has also come up many times and there is a lot of good information in the Charging and Chargers area of the forum. I am currently using a Chargepoint Home charger, which is working great for me, but there are a lot of other options that you many want to consider as well. This is a very informative and recent thread that may be helpful.

Of course, being a new member here comes with duties and responsibilities, chief among which is to post some photos of your new Karma. We never get tired of looking at Karmas around here.

Welcome again and feel free to ask any question you have. The members here are very knowledgeable and very generous with their time and counsel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies. Working on tires now as even with only 10k I don't dare drive more than to the grocery store on them. Interestingly the quote I got for the GY F1 tires is less than the yokohamas - but I guess they don't last as long, either.
To your point, Fabulist, I will post photos soon. It rained on the way home from the dealer so she isn't quite as photogenic as I would like. And then the sage folks here can tell me what my interior color is ;-)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suspect you are correct. Thanks much. The dash is blue and the seats are gray (is this considered a tri-tone or was that only on the sport?). I have to say, though, it is just such a nice place to be - Fisker did a beautiful job.
So now I can chance my sig - eclipse over glacier. Doesn't sound too bad!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thank you both for your replies. Working on tires now as even with only 10k I don't dare drive more than to the grocery store on them. Interestingly the quote I got for the GY F1 tires is less than the yokohamas - but I guess they don't last as long, either.
To your point, Fabulist, I will post photos soon. It rained on the way home from the dealer so she isn't quite as photogenic as I would like. And then the sage folks here can tell me what my interior color is ;-)
Your tires are probably not as bad as you think. The outsides always look way more worn than the tire really is. Did you feel inside the first major tread and see if it is deeper than the wear bars (little rubber bits that will catch your finger every foot or so if you run your finger inside a major tread line). If the car isn't worn down to those, your tires are still okay. You should get 13-15K on a set unless the car was driven like a hooligan!

If you do buy Eagle F-1s, try to make sure they were not made in 2012. Don't want to put 4-year old tires on your new baby.

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
You've got to decide what tires you want and how much you want to pay! If you are looking for cheaper, Walmart has some brand called Nikko I think.

I bought my Fisker in May of this year and I went on craigslist and found the best deal on a L2 charger I could. I ended up witha Bosch 30A L2 charger that was brand new never used from someone who got it as a replacement from Bosch. Any L2 charger with a 1772 head works! I joined ChargedPoint as well and have the app.

Welcome to the club!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Thank you both for your replies. Working on tires now as even with only 10k I don't dare drive more than to the grocery store on them.
@iqpilot, Before replacing your tires, please take a look at the wear chart in this post. That particular poster @FAChassis, is one of the senior engineers who designed the Karma's chassis and knows of which he speaks. In fact, I would strongly suggest doing a search for all of his posts and skimming them if you want to learn more than you ever wanted to know about the Karma.

The GY F-1 tires are notorious for looking worn very early in their lives because the rubber on the edge is very thin, but that's apparently by design, and the real health status of the tires can only be determined using the wear bars embedded into the main tread and the chart attached to the linked post above will help you interpret the signs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again - I did another check and the rears are at or below the wear bars. I am calling a couple of my local specialty shops to see if they can get the F1 tires. And, yes JC I also considered the possible age of the tires. I know I can tell from the serial numbers but not yet sure how I can find out before ordering. Working that and maybe I can start to answer questions and not just ask them ;-)

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
FYI the Tesla Model X ludicrous 22" F1 GY tires fit perfectly on the Karma 22" CB wheel. They also have a sound barrier built in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts