Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty sure there was a thread on this, but can't seem to find it through tapatalk.

http://jalopnik.com/5933859/exclusive-fisker-karma-hybrid-sets-itself-on-fire-and-burns-while-owner-gets-groceries

For a jalopnik article, it could have been worse

·
Registered
996 Posts
AnOutsider said:
Pretty sure there was a thread on this, but can't seem to find it through tapatalk.

http://jalopnik.com/5933859/exclusive-fisker-karma-hybrid-sets-itself-on-fire-and-burns-while-owner-gets-groceries

It looks like the hood insulation/sound deadening material somehow caught on fire...

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
smoothoperator said:
AnOutsider said:

It looks like the hood insulation/sound deadening material somehow caught on fire...
Oh boy! Here we go again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The owner then called the manufacturer who told him to call 911, which he did
Whats wrong with people, if you see your car beginning to smoke, you call the fire dept, not the manufacturer ffs. A simple extinguisher would of prevented this...

On a side note, it doesnt look like it caught fire from the exhaust, judging by the images it looks like it started near the fusebox.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Wow...not helpful. Funny though that most people would have thought these fires from EVs would originate in the battery/electric motors area, but in this case, and in the Houston case, the fire appears to have originated in the ICE area. Go figure!

·
Registered
854 Posts
SoCalGuy said:
...in this case, and in the Houston case, the fire appears to have originated in the ICE area. Go figure!
Yeah, and ICE fires are nothing new. The situation here does seem similar to the Texas fire, in that it started shortly after the car was parked and it wasn't charging. I don't think we got any more info from that first fire after the victim was offended by Fisker's statements.
[hr]
Raven said:
A simple extinguisher would of prevented this...
I think not catching on fire in the first place would have prevented this. A fire extinguisher on hand would limit the damage, but would not keep a fire from starting.

Fortunately in this case the car was not completely consumed, so investigators should have an easier time tracking down the source.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Raven said:
Whats wrong with people, if you see your car beginning to smoke, you call the fire dept, not the manufacturer ffs. A simple extinguisher would of prevented this...

On a side note, it doesnt look like it caught fire from the exhaust, judging by the images it looks like it started near the fusebox.
I agree with you, but I can also see where in this case it could have been white smoke like steam or something, so you call the manufacturer to see what you should do. Many people (me included) tend to avoid escalating situations prematurely. Many ICE cars have parts that steam without catching fire.

·
Registered
996 Posts
AnOutsider said:
Raven said:

I agree with you, but I can also see where in this case it could have been white smoke like steam or something, so you call the manufacturer to see what you should do. Many people (me included) tend to avoid escalating situations prematurely. Many ICE cars have parts that steam without catching fire.
Tesla's catch fire too (no ICE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFl8v1lxH0k

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes... because that was my point. You hate (or are irritated by) Tesla, we get it. I'm simply trying to explain why this guy may not have called the big guns (Fire Department) right away.

·
Registered
996 Posts
AnOutsider said:
Yes... because that was my point. You hate (or are irritated by) Tesla, we get it. I'm simply trying to explain why this guy may not have called the big guns (Fire Department) right away.
The guy was in the grocery store, came out and saw his car on fire and called Fisker. You think that the fire ignited while he was on the phone with Fisker watching his car "steam." Maybe this happens on a 1970's era vehicle but cars nowadays do not "Steam."

There is no explanation, he was probably not thinking coherently when he saw his car was on fire. This has nothing to do with steaming ice components.

OT: I am curious as to why you think I hate Tesla? I own over 500k worth of Tesla vehicles, have a 107k Model S on order, and have a healthy amount of Tesla stock.

·
Registered
42 Posts
AnOutsider said:
Well, burning plastics / composites have a distinct smell on them, watervapor usually doesnt. If my car was smokin / steaming, first thing I do would not be to call the manufacturer :dodgy:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yeah, I don't think the first thing that would occur to me would be to call the manufacturer, but I suppose Fisker has a hotline for this sort of thing given the bugs that used to be (?) common.

If I saw smoke, first thing I would do is investigate to find the source, determine the seriousness, and then take action. The color and smell of the smoke are good clues.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Fabulist said:
Looks like the car next to the Fisker was close to catching fire too. At the very least it must have been seriously singed. Let's hope they can identify the cause of these fires quickly.
Maybe that's the connection between the two fires. There was another car parked close by and the Karma got angry. Murder suicide.
[hr]
Embeddable version of the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWTgnzZbYtU&feature=player_embedded

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
Given the amount of flames seen in the video, doesn't it appear that a fuel leak was involved?

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
Here is the statement that Fisker issued about the fire:

Fisker Automotive can confirm that one of its Karma models was involved in a vehicle fire during a roadside incident in Woodside, California. No injuries were reported; the vehicle was parked; and the fire was extinguished safely by the emergency services. Fisker understands damage was limited to the driver’s side front corner of the car, away from the lithium ion battery and electric motors. The car was not being charged at the time.

We have more than 1,000 Karmas on the road with a cumulative 2 million miles on them. There are more than 185,000 highway vehicle fires in the US every year. In an electric vehicle, immediate suspicion is focused on the battery and high voltage components. The location of the damage to the vehicle in this incident appears to rule out that suspicion. Fisker has not had any battery or high voltage fire incidents with any of its vehicles.

Safety remains our primary concern at Fisker, and is integral to the design, engineering and technology of the Karma, a model in which we have absolute confidence. Fisker staff have been in contact with the customer and are investigating the cause of this incident. We are also employing an independent fire expert to assist the investigation. A further statement will be issued once the investigation has been completed and the cause determined.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Okay, so this sucks.

On the one hand, it seems the fire had absolutely nothing to do with the battery. And that is great. But on the other hand, it seems reasonable to suspect the ICE.

As one of the posters on Jalopnick noted, at the time of the first Karma fire in Texas, Jon Bereisa, the chief engineer on GM's EV1, stated, "That engine is shoehorned into that bay, because they had to use a larger engine, because it was too heavy a car. As a result, there’s no room for exhaust routing and heat shielding to route the heat away… [the Karma is] using the hell out of that motor-generator."

Fisker denied the charge. But maybe Bereisa's claim was spot on. If so, I'm guessing the only real fix to the problem would be a major redesign of the engine compartment and exhaust system. I don't want to seem doomsday-ish, but I cannot see how Fisker could survive that.

Whatever they determine is the cause of the fire, I hope Fisker is able to come up with an easy, quick, inexpensive solution so those of us on the sidelines can feel more confident making the decision to purchase a Karma and the company will thrive.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts