Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As there now appears to be two Fisker Karma's in the United Kingdom, I thought it might help our American cousins in some translations of the words we use to describe our vehicles and their parts. After all, wasn't it Alistair Cooke (a famous British reporter) who said the "we were two countries separated by a common language :)"

UK ====US
Petrol = Gas
Boot = Trunk
Bonnet = Hood
Wing = Fender
Bumper =Fender (Not sure of this one)
Gauge = Gage
Kilometre = Kilometer
Litres = Liters
Colour = Color
Arse = Ass
Memory Stick = Thumbdrive

If you need any more explanations, I'll do my best

Fred

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Thank you Cousin Fredc51
Love the quote.
BTW,
Bumper = Bumper
Tyre = Tire

One day we will learn English.
Cheers

·
Registered
282 Posts
Being in Canada and somewhere in the middle of this academic exercise, I think you are both in the "gutter" when it comes to our "eavestroughs".
Also, are you familiar the acronym "MOG" as in "62 plus4, a true expression of Britain.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Being in Canada and somewhere in the middle of this academic exercise, I think you are both in the "gutter" when it comes to our "eavestroughs".
Also, are you familiar the acronym "MOG" as in "62 plus4, a true expression of Britain.
Being in the gutter (eavestroughs to you Canadians is not a bad place to be - The only way is up! However starting off as a guttersnipe and becoming a toff is an achievement that outshines everything

A MOG plus 4 - V8 engine - Willow chassis and named after a pair of short pants with long socks. How can I complain about our transatlantic cousins when we have such strange sartorial tastes!!

I'll be cross eyed and playing the banjo next :D

Love it, love it love it.

Thank you, Fred

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...and how did I forget about bloody tyres - I just had to buy for from the tire rack!!

Shame on me - but thank you for the prompt.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Being in the gutter (eavestroughs to you Canadians is not a bad place to be - The only way is up! However starting off as a guttersnipe and becoming a toff is an achievement that outshines everything

A MOG plus 4 - V8 engine - Willow chassis and named after a pair of short pants with long socks. How can I complain about our transatlantic cousins when we have such strange sartorial tastes!!

I'll be cross eyed and playing the banjo next :D

Love it, love it love it.

Thank you, Fred
Close! It's a 1962 RHD TR-2 with an ash frame. Great for cruising wine country here in Niagara.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
@Fredc51: Thank you for the lesson. As long as you are translating proper English road signs into 'Merican, could you please tell me what the heck this sign means:

Thank you.

·
Registered
199 Posts
So much fun for foreigners.....We need to speek/write both US English and UK-English depending who we communicate with. Worse are all the abbreviations you use. It took me a while to figure out what IMHO means etc. I know the words but because we do not live in the US/UK we do not pick up those abbreviations. ILTF

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Firstly I'm glad you said 'merican, because a recent President of yours said "I'm proud to be a merkin". A Merkin, which as you know was a pubic wig, was what Victorian loose ladies used to wear, to show they were clean, even though they had had to shave off their lady gardens due to insect infestation. Apparently still used today by modern actresses due to the current trend of Brazilian and Hollywood hair styles. (and by some men who have very shiny heads)

But now for a history lesson to explain the picture.

During the second world war, the government was concerned that if the German troops landed in Southern England, that they would rush up to London to conquer us. They altered the road signs to point the wrong way, so the invading troops would get lost and hopefully allow us some time to get reinforcements arranged.

They forgot of course that English people also got lost and we still have a lot of folks (and German tourists) driving all around the south of England getting really confused.

We now try to help our tourists by telling them that we are about to confuse them by changing the signs. It's like a treasure hunt!:huh::huh:

Seriously though, it's when the London Council decides to take a road or a lane away from us privileged rich car tax financiers and give them to buses and taxis, who as you know are great polluters of the air and don't need to warn any motorists that they are going to turn left, when they feel like it. It lets the motorist know that he's going to get shafted again.

The "P" signs are the way to the nearest toilets :):)

Fred

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh - Fender Bender - yes we have them, but trying to get something to Rhyme with "small hit" was a bit difficult, couldn't think of anything, so we nicked the American Fender :D

Flying Dutchman - ILTF??? Do you play tennis? Got me there (I think)

Fred

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Interesting, I'm surprised no one thought of "Wing-Ding" over there which wouldn't work on this side of the pond. Its is an early 20th century "Merican" saying for "party" (which we are so good at). And ILTF can only mean "I Love The Fisker".

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Seriously though, it's when the London Council decides to take a road or a lane away from us privileged rich car tax financiers and give them to buses and taxis, who as you know are great polluters of the air and don't need to warn any motorists that they are going to turn left, when they feel like it. It lets the motorist know that he's going to get shafted again.
Fred
I always thought that the sign was about growing up and evolving beyond the foolish priorities of youth and yearning for more mature desires, although I could not figure why it belonged on a traffic sign. Thanks for clearing that up.

The "P" signs are the way to the nearest toilets :):)
Fred
That exactly the same here in San Francisco. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I always thought that the sign was about growing up and evolving beyond the foolish priorities of youth and yearning for more mature desires, although I could not figure why it belonged on a traffic sign. Thanks for clearing that up.

I think I prefer your explanation - never really thought of myself as mature.

I shall now walk with an authoritative swagger!

Fred (Mature driver):angel:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ahh - Fender Bender - yes we have them, but trying to get something to Rhyme with "small hit" was a bit difficult, couldn't think of anything, so we nicked the American Fender :D

Flying Dutchman - ILTF??? Do you play tennis? Got me there (I think)

Fred
I Like This Forum.. You must have thought it was something else. Hope you understand our dilemma now :D:D:D:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts