Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Winter is approaching whether we like it or not, and for those of us living in the true North, in northern parts of the U.S. and pretty much all of Canada, there is little choice but to put winter tires on our Karmas if we want to drive them in the winter. Yokohama tires were the OEM winter tires when the cars were first built and sold. Those are no longer made and any that are around will be fairly old age and likely past their sell by dates due to rubber decomposition and change in properties with age. I recently bought some winter tires for my 21 inch OEM wheels:

Pirelli Scorpion Winter Tires
Front: 255/40/21
Rear: 265/40/21

The fronts are 10mm wider than the OEM Yokohamas, but cause no rubbing or other problems. They look even better I think as they are a little wider. I have been driving on them now for 10 days and can report they seem to be great tires, with no road noise and very well built. They are around $350 each from Tire Rack in U.S. and in Canada several tire shops sell them or can order them for you. I, for one, love them so far. I paid $500 each for them in Canada in CDN dollars. Look them up if you're in the market for winter tires. And, I don't work for Tire Rack or Pirelli.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Has anyone UP NORTH had any experience with the Yoko 22 in winter. I don't drive the Karma in Winter, since I have an all wheel drive SUV. Not to mention, I live in Atlanta, so snow is rare, and driving on Ice (we get ice storms) is never a good idea.

The reason for the question is the Yoko 22 is really designed for SUV's. Just curios.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AIJOHN; Apparently the Pirelli Scorpion is also designed for SUVs, but they work perfectly fine for the Fisker. No noise or excessive friction that I have noticed.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
ah... was wondering if the Yoko's could prevent folks from having two sets of wheels. Since I don't need them, just a thought...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can we put winter tires on the original 22 inch wheels, or am I wrong? And are these tires available in Europe? Or has someone bought alternative wheels and tires for winter? Because in Belgium, winters allmost don't exist, so I do not want to spent a fortune on the original wheels and tires

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
willempie1972; Winter tires for 22's are not available in the OEM size but you can go wider or less sidewall height, etc. However, no guarantees that they won't rub. If you don't want to buy the OEM Fisker winter set of wheels then buy some after market wheels. Plenty around everywhere. Just go to a good wheel and tire place in Belgium and they'll find you something that will fit including tires. I'd say for Belgium, forget it. Just drive on the summer tires very carefully in winter and on bad days, don't take out the car, simple. In Toronto, Canada, that's like asking for trouble as we need winter tires specially for rear wheel drive cars. My street can have 20 cm of snow on it before they even start plowing it, so it gets bad.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happy to contribute as always.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts