Fisker Buzz Forums banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Why would Pep Boys only try to sell you one? If I owned their stock I'd sell it. but alas my investments are tied up in my car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I needed one tire, they looked up the size and gave me the price. I ordered it, then when it came in from another store they called me asking which tire it was for (I had left them the rim) because it was a directional. I never heard of that and asked if I could mix it with the other ones they said sure.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Because I'm not near the car right now, and because there is the sale mentioned in the other thread on Goodyears on sale at tire rack, I wanted to confirm the specs at
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Selec...er&autoModel=Karma&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=
(Google search of "fisker karma tire size" worked - fisker not in TR pull-down menu).

From harleyguys picture, I really like that the YOKOs are not asymmetric, directional tires like Goodyear, allowing more rotation options to address the fact that the outer edge wears off so fast!

But on tire rack, Goodyear is popping up as the ONLY option!

Our car has 4000 miles on it, but already the tires seem shot (either dealer drove this demo hard or they swapped out the tires, but more likely they are just too soft). The OEM replacement is inexpensive, but I just don't want something wearing out so fast, because Florida heat will accelerate that wear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I looked them up. No rebate on those. $902 for 4.
Are there ANY rotation options for the Goodyears? Can you swap left and right?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Eagle F1 SC is an asymmetrical tread pattern, but NOT directional. Which means you can rotate left and right side tires at each axle. Keep in mind the outside shoulders have about half the tread depth as the other tread ribs, but the SAME amount of tread rubber thickness, making those outer shoulders much stiffer than other tires. (The tire was designed specifically for Karma, those outer shoulders contribute significantly to steering and handling response so designed more like a race tire - with water evacuation towards the inner shoulder.) This gives the impression of premature wear on those outer shoulders - you'll want to gage wear at the indicators in between the center ribs. Once the indicator is 1/32" or 2/32" away from the surface of the tread rib its time to order tires. Of course you'll also want to keep an eye on the outer shoulder to make sure you don't see cords (change tires immediately in this case). If your driving involves a lot more twisties than highway you'll buzzsaw those shoulders down to cords before you get to the wear bars, but this could be the case with any car or tire. I'll try to post the service bulletin.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tire Wear References

The tire wear service bulletin was distributed to Fisker dealers last year to help explain the wear behavior and unique attributes of the OE fitted tires (apologies little coarse I was limited on PDF upload size). Please assess your tire health based on this document. Also attached are two 'spotter' images you can use to quickly gage overall wear on the OE tire, including the relative wear of the shoulder tread to center ribs. Our friends at Goodyear helped us put together this doc so I'd request that we limit the distribution to this forum for Karma tire wear assessment purposes only. Thanks for your cooperation.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Of course, critical in maintaining your tires is to keep proper inflation with regular monthly checks. This is beyond what the TPMS light would tell in the event of an air leak or prolonged low pressure condition. The Karma was released with 40 psi Front (2.8 bar) and 36 psi Rear (2.5 bar).

·
Registered
536 Posts
The Eagle F1 SC is ... designed specifically for Karma
Does it fit any other car?
If not, I'm concerned that it, like all the other parts, may become scarce over time (but sooner given the rate of wear).

They may have anticipated that Fisker was going to make way more than 2000 cars, and since that didn't happen, could they discontinue (which may also explain why the tires seem like such a deal now - supply/demand)?

Thanks for attachment - great resource.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tire Rack is a fairly large customer for all tire companies so their buying power will bring the price down, especially when suppliers want to move out inventory. But the Eagle F1 SC tire especially our fitment has always had a very competitive price. GY should continue to build tires based on demand. Rate of wear is very competitive for this segment and should run longer than other vehicles like Maserati, Bentley C-GT, Porsche 911.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Thanks FAChassis - very helpful

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Tire Rack is a fairly large customer for all tire companies so their buying power will bring the price down, especially when suppliers want to move out inventory. But the Eagle F1 SC tire especially our fitment has always had a very competitive price. GY should continue to build tires based on demand. Rate of wear is very competitive for this segment and should run longer than other vehicles like Maserati, Bentley C-GT, Porsche 911.
Someone else had mentioned that this tire was used on other vehicles as well. Is that not the case?

Also, I've heard that the "normal" tire life for our OEM GY Karma tires is 15K miles - is that accurate?

·
Registered
272 Posts
i have my tries on the Fisker filled with Nitrogen. The tires that fit on the Fisker fit on other cars as well no need to worry.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If by 'fitting on other cars' you mean as OEM, there is only one OE application for the GY 255 & 285/35R22 tires with the Karma. There may be other vehicles that could fit these tires as an aftermarket fitment. But the overall outside diameter is much larger than most passenger cars (737mm front, 758mm rear) - except for maybe a Rolls Royce. Chrysler 300C is large at 728mm, but still smaller than K1 fronts so the speedometer would read low. SUVs might be an option but air volume and load carrying capacity would need to match requirements, as well as the compound of the tire generating excessive overturning moment.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We've seen tire wear up to 20k miles for vehicles that see mostly highway miles, and as low as 7k miles for sprited driving patterns. Or less if you track the car. This tire is related to the one used on the Ford GT, so its a 'max performance' compound intended to match the overall dynamics tune of the car. Its not a low rolling resistance tire, but its not that bad either - turns out having a large diameter tire helps you in this regard.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Fisker and Goodyear are 'neutral' on nitrogen inflation. The primary benefit is that it does help maintain your inflation pressure over longer periods of time, but there's insufficient data to suggest to what extent.

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The tire wear service bulletin was distributed to Fisker dealers last year to help explain the wear behavior and unique attributes of the OE fitted tires (apologies little coarse I was limited on PDF upload size). Please assess your tire health based on this document. Also attached are two 'spotter' images you can use to quickly gage overall wear on the OE tire, including the relative wear of the shoulder tread to center ribs. Our friends at Goodyear helped us put together this doc so I'd request that we limit the distribution to this forum for Karma tire wear assessment purposes only. Thanks for your cooperation.
We never were insured this document please PM the the bulletin number

·
Registered
56 Posts
those pics were not originally released due to potential misinterpretation but I think it can be valuable information when used properly, and now especially. This group is the only one outside FA and the supplier that has those particular wear images, not something you'd typically find in dealer support materials.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts