Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran into some debris (a chunk of fiberglass I think) on the freeway. It damaged the front bumper a bit, down near the passenger side wheel, and also took out some of the fiberglass right around the exhaust vent on that side.

I understand bumpers are difficult or impossible to find... not sure what the fiberglass piece along the bottom there (from behind the wheel, all the way along the side of the car) is called, but I could use one of those too. As it happens that's the part that Fisker Salt Lake had promised to replace since it was damaged when the car was first unloaded from the carrier at the dealer.

I'll see what my insurance co says, and whether Cook's here can fix things, or if the ex-Fisker dealer in Corte Madera has some advice.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
I have watched enough episodes of "Wheelers Dealers" to know that with proper skill, it is possible to repair fairly extensive damage on fiberglass parts and make them appear new. I hope the damage to your car falls into this category.

I am sure you have considered this already, but is there a possibility of salvaging a front bumper from a crashed Karma?

Alternatively, maybe we can all chip in and get one of these to print the parts we need.

Good luck and hope you get your car (as they say on WD) mended.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Front bumpers are getting shipped from Finland right none available depending how bad it is it can be fixed . Body shops have machines now that are made to fix new style bumpers . The only thing I can say for sure is stay away from the fiberglass ones that were made they are pure crap and don't fit . I body shop I worked with spent two weeks trying to get it to fit and was a waste of time plus the finish on them plan suck .

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have possibly the only new OEM bumper left in the states in a box. Lol but the owner of the dealer wants me to hold onto it in case any of our original owners wrecks. Sorry. It urks me to walk by it every day in my warehouse! Your rocker panel (fiberglass behind the wheel) is not available at all (which is why the dealer didn't replace it, btw)
Our body shop is factory authorized Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati and they are amazing with fiberglass and plastics. They remade a rocker on a karma that was missing 6" off the front end completely around the exhaust outlet. Looks untouched. They also remade the lower corner of the bumper. I was impressed.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aha, yes, he has rocker panels. I'm off to Barsotti's in San Rafael tomorrow (recommended by Marin Luxury Cars, and when I called them they knew what a Fisker Karma was and all about the parts issue, so it sounds promising). If they can fix the front and paint-and-install the rocker panel, that might do the trick.

I'll update as news occurs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
HarleyGuy... why don't you tell us exactly how you feel about the fiberglass bumpers... hahaha... u funny buddy...

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had my Karma repaired by L&M Auto Body in San Jose (south San Jose, just off Blossom Rd, near where 87 ends at 85). They did a beautiful job: can't tell where the bumper holes were and the rocker panel is repaired—apparently they rebuilt the fiberglass, I have no idea how they did it, but it looks perfect (and is thus better than when mine was "new" since a bit got chipped-off during shipping).

The clear bra is not on yet as the paint apparently needs to cure for about a month first. I'm going to get the rear wheel flare areas done too, this time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts