Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took about an hour trip, both ways today. As I was accelerating in sport mode, it felt that the engine was revving high to get to speed. Acceleration was sluggish. No warning or dash lights came on. Was in Sport mode at 27 battery life. Any ideas before I bring to the mechanic? Stealth mode seems fine

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
How many miles was left on the HV battery ? This is a common problem when you have a HV module thats weak or more then one module that's faulty .

·
Registered
189 Posts
Have you owned the car for a while and noticed a difference and/or decrease in performance.

what you are describing sounds like common performance to me for the car operating in Sport Mode. On the highway Sport Mode is charaterized by an annoying and pronounced high reving ICE combined with undramatic acceleration.

IMO the ICE sounds so bad in the cabin I hate to even drive the car in Sport.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you owned the car for a while and noticed a difference and/or decrease in performance.

what you are describing sounds like common performance to me for the car operating in Sport Mode. On the highway Sport Mode is charaterized by an annoying and pronounced high reving ICE combined with undramatic acceleration.

IMO the ICE sounds so bad in the cabin I hate to even drive the car in Sport.

I have owned the car for about 3 months. I feel like some days are better than others. I hope you are right about the "pronounced high-revving ICE combined with undramatic acceleration. "

I took it out this morning and I feel like it starts to happen when I hit that 27 battery mark in Sport mode. Let me ask you this; If I leave my driveway with a full 50MILE charge, in Sport Mode, is it supposed to drain down to 27mile and hold at 27? Or should it hold at the 50mile when I locked it in the driveway?

I also feel like I do not get a full 50 miles out of a charge. Again, some days are better than others, I feel...

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
ILet me ask you this; If I leave my driveway with a full 50MILE charge, in Sport Mode, is it supposed to drain down to 27mile and hold at 27? Or should it hold at the 50mile when I locked it in the driveway?

I also feel like I do not get a full 50 miles out of a charge. Again, some days are better than others, I feel...
The behavior you are experiencing is normal for the Karma. There are a ton of threads on this board about how the battery depletes in Sport mode until 26/27 miles remain and holds at that level, or how the ICE RPM is only somewhat correlated to driving conditions.

As for '50 miles of range', that's theoretically possible on a perfect day with a marketing person in the passenger seat recording the mileage. The range guess-o-meter in the Karma isn't particularly smart or accurate. The average owner with a healthy battery will see between 32 and 45 actual miles of all-electric range depending on driving style, average speed, temperature and terrain, not necessarily in that order. If you have particularly above- or below-average conditions your range results will differ correspondingly.

Brent

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
The behavior you are experiencing is normal for the Karma. There are a ton of threads on this board about how the battery depletes in Sport mode until 26/27 miles remain and holds at that level, or how the ICE RPM is only somewhat correlated to driving conditions.

Brent
I would suggest taking a quick read through this thread for more detailed information.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Maybe your exhaust is toast and is contributing to the noise.

You may have hidden codes without MIL. Try use a hand scanner and seeing if any hidden codes are stored.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe your exhaust is toast and is contributing to the noise.

You may have hidden codes without MIL. Try use a hand scanner and seeing if any hidden codes are stored.
What is MIL? We need an abbreviation thread for us newbies!!

I know it is not the exhaust because unfortunately, I had to replace when I first got the car. So, I know what that sounds like.

I am going to swing by the mechanic this week and hook up the scanner

Thank you all for replies!

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
We've been programmed to associate engine sounds with speed and how one depresses the accelerator. In the Karma, the software is in control of the ICE rev's in sport mode under 27 miles State of Charge.

Welcome to the Karma and series hybrid.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have owned the car for about 3 months. I feel like some days are better than others. I hope you are right about the "pronounced high-revving ICE combined with undramatic acceleration. "

I took it out this morning and I feel like it starts to happen when I hit that 27 battery mark in Sport mode. Let me ask you this; If I leave my driveway with a full 50MILE charge, in Sport Mode, is it supposed to drain down to 27mile and hold at 27? Or should it hold at the 50mile when I locked it in the driveway?

okay -well I think it's all characteristic from what you are describing and nothing sounds abnormal IMO. As already mentioned the car does deplete down to 26 (I think we have all had this question at some point) before it starts to hold/reserve electric miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So my wife just left the house, hasn't been gone 10 min, and is on the way back because the car went into "reduced power mode, see dealer?"

***Update. she came home and parked the car. It sat for maybe 3 min before I got in it to take for a spin. I drove it and it seems fine. No codes were thrown. This is the 2nd time that has happened.

I will also say, there is a significant difference in the way the ICE sounds and performs with 50Mile vs 27mile on battery

1 - 20 of 20 Posts