Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, we had the concept interior...







then we had the "pre-production" interior...




which then got massaged and massaged into this....



until finally we were surprised with this:


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
378 Posts
I'm kinda diggin the concept look. Can we go back to it? The Tron interior look would match the Tron exterior sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
The first concept looks too seventies to me (C3PO and R2D2 come to mind). But it's sad the big gear stick from the last concept is gone.

All in all the final interior is the most beautiful (imho)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Dutch said:
The first concept looks too seventies to me (C3PO and R2D2 come to mind). But it's sad the big gear stick from the last concept is gone.

All in all the final interior is the most beautiful (imho)
+1. Huge fan of the final version. Much better than its progenitors.

Mark
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did wish it had a proper gear shift rather than the PRNDL pyramid! Also, I think steering wheel is too stylized.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
744 Posts
LCD monitors in the headrests would have rocked. I was hoping that something other than an engraving and paint scheme would be standard on the SEs, but seeing as, pricewise the SE is now a steal, I am not complaining about the lack of differences.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kabalah70 said:
LCD monitors in the headrests would have rocked. I was hoping that something other than an engraving and paint scheme would be standard on the SEs, but seeing as, pricewise the SE is now a steal, I am not complaining about the lack of differences.
Or how about the rear AC units? Those would have been pluses too!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,661 Posts
SoCalGuy said:
I did wish it had a proper gear shift rather than the PRNDL pyramid! Also, I think steering wheel is too stylized.
I agree. The new gear selector systems on cars (buttons, dials, etc.) just don't feel right. The Fisker's original lever was actually fixed in place and only extreme right portion would rotate to select the gear, so it was not a true gear selection lever, but it certainly looked the part.

-- Fab.

 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
Fabulist said:
SoCalGuy said:
I did wish it had a proper gear shift rather than the PRNDL pyramid! Also, I think steering wheel is too stylized.
I agree. The new gear selector systems on cars (buttons, dials, etc.) just don't feel right. The Fisker's original lever was actually fixed in place and only extreme right portion would rotate to select the gear, so it was not a true gear selection lever, but it certainly looked the part.

-- Fab.


I'm on a completely different wavelength here. I'm really glad they got rid of the fake shift lever in favor of the PRND pyramid. For one thing, it makes the console less cluttered. It also keeps it out of the way of seeing or accessing the Command Center.

My bigger issue with keeping it though is that it's non-functional. Having a gearshift lever that doesn't actually shift gears just because we're used to them is just clinging to old technology for nostalgia's sake. It's like the original automobiles (quaintly even called Horseless Carriages) that had all sorts of equine-related vestigal features. They were no longer needed or relevant but people were just "used to them". I think if you're going to really move the needle and redefine what a car could be you need to be willing to let go of old conventions.

Brent
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LonePalmBJ said:
Fabulist said:
SoCalGuy said:
I did wish it had a proper gear shift rather than the PRNDL pyramid! Also, I think steering wheel is too stylized.
I agree. The new gear selector systems on cars (buttons, dials, etc.) just don't feel right. The Fisker's original lever was actually fixed in place and only extreme right portion would rotate to select the gear, so it was not a true gear selection lever, but it certainly looked the part.

-- Fab.

I'm on a completely different wavelength here. I'm really glad they got rid of the fake shift lever in favor of the PRND pyramid. For one thing, it makes the console less cluttered. It also keeps it out of the way of seeing or accessing the Command Center.

My bigger issue with keeping it though is that it's non-functional. Having a gearshift lever that doesn't actually shift gears just because we're used to them is just clinging to old technology for nostalgia's sake. It's like the original automobiles (quaintly even called Horseless Carriages) that had all sorts of equine-related vestigal features. They were no longer needed or relevant but people were just "used to them". I think if you're going to really move the needle and redefine what a car could be you need to be willing to let go of old conventions.

Brent
Well, to clarify my point of view, I'd actually agree with you AND Fab - I'd rather have a gear shift that works as a gear shift should, not the faux one with the gear select on the end. I like the mechanical motion of moving the gear into drive, reverse, park, etc.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
SoCalGuy said:
Well, to clarify my point of view, I'd actually agree with you AND Fab - I'd rather have a gear shift that works as a gear shift should, not the faux one with the gear select on the end. I like the mechanical motion of moving the gear into drive, reverse, park, etc.
Even if it's not connected to anything? Even if it's just a four-way electrical switch masquerading as a shift lever?

I'm a believer of Form follows Function. You should design it to be best at what it's supposed to do (be a switch) instead of starting with what is should look like. Of course, that's just my opinion. I'm no car designer, that's for sure!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
913 Posts
I like the current interior best of the evolution. The air conditioning vents might have been nice, maybe, but the rest I like the way it is.

Of course, I have not actually used it for anything other than the test drive yet, so, who knows!

(I'd like the storage-dimple-in-the-clear-plastic-over-the-batteries thing; so far that's my one suggested tweak.)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LonePalmBJ said:
SoCalGuy said:
Well, to clarify my point of view, I'd actually agree with you AND Fab - I'd rather have a gear shift that works as a gear shift should, not the faux one with the gear select on the end. I like the mechanical motion of moving the gear into drive, reverse, park, etc.
Even if it's not connected to anything? Even if it's just a four-way electrical switch masquerading as a shift lever?

I'm a believer of Form follows Function. You should design it to be best at what it's supposed to do (be a switch) instead of starting with what is should look like. Of course, that's just my opinion. I'm no car designer, that's for sure!
Yeah, as long as it operates like a gear shift, I'd like to have it. Something nostalgic, emotional. Remember, the Karma is a transition vehicle, from present to future.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
If you want somthing nostalgic and modern, in a modern version, here it is:
http://www.irememberjfk.com/mt/graphics/pbtransmission.jpg
or:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1247/549023583_519b5840b9.jpg
or for the Aston Martin connection:
http://reviews.cnet.com/sc/33620883-2-440-SS15.jpg

Personally, I like the switch we have.
Cheers,
[hr]
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top