Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really enjoyed my Fisker, but found myself worrying about it too much. Guess I don't have what it takes to be an early adopter, but I use my car on a daily basis and don't want to have to always be worrying about "what if": what if I am in an accident and can't get parts? what if something happens and I can't find someone to service it?

My daily driver car is an important tool in my life, not a luxury that sits on the shelf 90% of the time. I didn't mind taking some chances when the company was on sound financial footing, but with bankruptcy apparently imminent and the company in crisis mode I didn't want to sit by and watch while issues are being sorted out. Yes there are some good outcomes possible, but there are plenty of bad ones as well (at least for those in my position).

I respect those of you who can take those chances, and wish I was there with you. Perhaps if I was more of a car collector all would be well, as I could just take the car out on special occasions and I could handle possible adversity a bit better.

So my SE has been traded in for a Maserati Quattroporte. It's also fun to drive, but doesn't turn heads the way the Karma did. I'll miss that, but I won't miss the need to follow the Fisker drama.

Good luck to you all. Skibum out.

·
Registered
264 Posts
May I ask what your trade in value was?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you sure you want to know??

SPOILER ALERT

$60K, and that was only because I was buying the Quattroporte from them and I didn't push them too hard on the price, and I had sent some other business to this dealer. Otherwise, they claim, they wouldn't have taken the trade at all...too much uncertainty around the company and too many potential buyers sitting on the sidelines.

The way I look at it: I've made worse investments in my life, and I've enjoyed driving the car for the last 15 months. A lease for a car like that would have cost me $4K/month anyhow.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Sorry to see you go and only after such a short time, but there is nothing wrong with your logic or your choice of replacement vehicle. And thank you for not putting another butt-ugly Panamera on the road. :D
Happy Motoring.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Sorry to see you go. Best of luck with the Maserati.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Sorry to see you go and only after such a short time, but there is nothing wrong with your logic or your choice of replacement vehicle. And thank you for not putting another butt-ugly Panamera on the road. :D
Happy Motoring.

I find this funny because a local store in my area offers preferred "hybrid" parking. Whenever I am there I always see a Panamera "hybrid" parked in the space. Somehow I don't think that is the car that the property owner had in mind when putting in these preferred spots. The worst, is when these cars park in EV spots because the owners think they are electric.

·
Registered
232 Posts

$60K, QUOTE]

That's terrible. We're looking to sell ours too because of Fisker's troubles.

Now I'm really worried!

Thanks for not making my night. :)

By the way, we traded a Maserati Grand Turismo in on our Karma. Wish I had it back now...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Say what you will and I know a lot of owners use their Fisker as a daily driver and need a car/dealer/manufacturer they can depend on daily, but if the company goes CH 7 and there's nothing left but ashes, don't dump your car unless you need to for necessity. There are very few of these in the world and come on guys, this isn't a yugo a pinto and no, not even a Delorean we are talking about here (the Delorean sucked, I drove one several times back in the day, not even in the same league) the car will, over time, become somewhat of a collector's item, in my opinion of course, but scarcity often adds value. Not sure how many crappy Delorean's were produced either (a lot of folks like to use that name in the same sentence with Henrik's), but I'm sure it was a lot more than 1,500 to 2,000. I'm keeping mine, they'll find it, hopefully many years from now, under a soft tarp in a barn after I'm dead and gone (still plugged in of course :)

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts

SPOILER ALERT

$60K, and that was only because I was buying the Quattroporte from them and I didn't push them too hard on the price, and I had sent some other business to this dealer. Otherwise, they claim, they wouldn't have taken the trade at all...too much uncertainty around the company and too many potential buyers sitting on the sidelines.

The way I look at it: I've made worse investments in my life, and I've enjoyed driving the car for the last 15 months. A lease for a car like that would have cost me $4K/month anyhow.
Looking on cars.com, the cheapest used Karma (other than an EcoStandard) is listed at $74K, and they range from there up to $100K. I bet your friendly Maserati salesman is going to make a tidy profit on the $60K "favor" he did for you. :dodgy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey I would have given you 62k all day!! They stole your car!! You must have been desperate. I like how they pulled the we don't even want it card!! LOL. Unless it has a lot of miles. You just gave away 10k. You should have went to Vegas and put it all on black!!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
The saddest thing is that we now have to airbrush @Skibum out of the official Forum photo.

I am not going to identify him in the photo, but he will be missed.

And then there were four ....

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I love my Karma. I wouldn't think of selling it. The car is performing perfectly, it's still as beautiful as it was 6 months ago, I have over 280mpg for the last 2000 miles. What would I replace that with? Fear of the future is no reason to trade in this amazing car. Since my psychic abilities are zero, I will just wait for the future to develop and adjust accordingly. Good Karma to all.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As I read through the posts this morning I am amazed at the emotions. Icons are born of polarizing ideas and events. What do they say in hollywood is the WORST press? No press! This car and company have been in the public eye to the point where the car is talked about in major publications almost daily! If money were no issue, I would gladly buy as many Fisker Karmas as I could afford at $100K and enjoy them all! I have one art collector that I work with that has collected over 100 works of art created by just one of our artists! He loves each and everyone of his works of art. I owned Cadillacs most of my life... None of the Cadis brought me as much joy as the Fisker! :)

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
As I read through the posts this morning I am amazed at the emotions. Icons are born of polarizing ideas and events. What do they say in hollywood is the WORST press? No press! This car and company have been in the public eye to the point where the car is talked about in major publications almost daily! If money were no issue, I would gladly buy as many Fisker Karmas as I could afford at $100K and enjoy them all! I have one art collector that I work with that has collected over 100 works of art created by just one of our artists! He loves each and everyone of his works of art. I owned Cadillacs most of my life... None of the Cadis brought me as much joy as the Fisker! :)
I recall HF saying in one of his many interviews something the effect that no one really needs to spend more than $15K on a car. The rest of the money is spent to satisfy an emotional need, not a practical one. And the Karma is designed to push multiple emotional buttons with its design, technology and Eco creds, and it also has a terrific back story about turning a weapon of war into a instrument of saving the Earth. I am not really surprised that there is this level of emotional involvement between the owners and their Karmas.

On top of that, the unfounded abuse and bullying the company received in the political arena last year has turned them into something of an underdog, and to root for the underdog is as American as Apple Pie.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, if I had a barn to store this in I probably would have kept it too! But like I said, I'm no collector. We already have one impractical car that we keep for fun (a Mercedes SL500 convertible); I don't have room for two. And that car was my wife's before we got married, so no way she's parting with that.

Dennis - no way these cars are fetching 75-100K today. At least in Silicon Valley the dealer is awash in them, and none are moving. Mine is the third used SE he has sitting on his lot, and there are at least a dozen others on the lot. Said he has only sold one in the past month. Now, if Fisker announces good news on the financing/buyout front I'm sure some buyers will step forward and I will have made a bad deal. But if they go BK I will have bought myself some peace of mind...yes, I know that they could even be bought out of bankruptcy and thrive, but there will be a messy period while it's all sorted out, and during that time I wouldn't feel comfortable using the car a whole lot. And my wife won't let me use the SL as a daily driver. :)

In the meantime, I'll enjoy driving the second-best-looking four door out there. It's a distant second, to be sure, but the sound of the Ferrari engine (as compared to the whine from the GM engine that used to drive me up the wall whenever I had to engage Sport mode) almost makes up for it!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
In the meantime, I'll enjoy driving the second-best-looking four door out there.
Don't think so. This is the second-best-looking four door anywhere:

·
1,217 Posts
Rapide FTW. You're right. I meant "second-best-looking-under-$200K".
When I took the photos of the Rapide and the Karma Los Gatos Luxury Cars was offering a $40K discount on the Rapide.

·
1,217 Posts
Dennis - no way these cars are fetching 75-100K today. At least in Silicon Valley the dealer is awash in them, and none are moving. Mine is the third used SE he has sitting on his lot, and there are at least a dozen others on the lot.
My neighbor bought a Shadow/Canyon Karma from Fisker SV last month.

As I posted elsewhere, recent expired listings on eBay show buyers bidding $70K+ and sellers refusing to sell at that price. So the clearing price is north of $70K, and probably less than $80K given the listings on cars.com at $75K and above.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts