Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Karma on Friday, so far so good (in general), although I have had a few issues which I posted below, I imagine the last 2 are things the dealer will need to fix, but the first I am not sure if it just doesn't exist, or if I just have not found how to do it:

1) Not sure if this a bug, a feature request, or a complaint, but the buttons on the steering wheel (volume up, down, source etc), do not appear to be backlit (although perhaps they are broken, or I just have not found the controls for them), which means at night you cant see them at all. Being they appear laser cut, that seems pretty odd. I FOUND ANSWER TO THIS WITH A FORUM SEARCH SO IGNORE QUESTION (there is no backlighting).

2) Satellite Radio presets mysteriously vanish the next day. Now keep in mind from a testing perspective, if I simply turn the car off and back on again, I think they were still there. SO it is so amount of time between 5 minutes and 6 hours where they vanish. Did this on 2 seperate occasions, which of course made me lose motivation to set them again.

3) Similar issue with Seat memory, although just when I thought it wasnt working, it seemed like it might have been, but only in accessory mode. Not sure it was exactly where I left it, but it did not go to position when I turned on car. Not sure if I set seat up in accessory mode or with car on (same with Sat Radio memory).

Oh and I hope nobody takes these comments the wrong way, I fully expected to have issues like this on a new make of car, so far no regrets in purchase, and I do really love the car, but I would like to fix these issues, so any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
rosenblumr said:
Oh and I hope nobody takes these comments the wrong way, I fully expected to have issues like this on a new make of car, so far no regrets in purchase, and I do really love the car, but I would like to fix these issues, so any help would be appreciated.
rosenblumr,

Welcome to the forums. What kind of Karma did you get? Color? Where are you located?

The issues you're reporting are all pretty well known and discussed extensively in some of the other threads. You should spend some time looking around to learn what else you can expect. There are quite a few known or common issues people are running into.

There is a new software release, version 6.14, that allegedly addresses many issues people are seeing with the command center, such as lost presets. I do not know if that particular issue is fixed, but suspect it might be since it's been reported for a while now. As I understand it, 6.14 was just released today. Likewise, I don't know if the seat memory issue you report has been addressed.

There's a rep from Fisker, David Harris, who participates in these forums and has requested that all owners report issues they are experiencing, so that Fisker can better track and address them. Here's what David has to say:

If anyone has a questions they are welcome to call our team at 855-575-7577. In order to capture and understand any customer concerns properly we have software that manages every case and allows our team to understand the specifics of any issues as we are working towards solutions. This also allows our engineers and field service team members to work in a collaborative manner.

Congrats and good luck with your new Karma!

Brent

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok stupid question,

yesterday the problems mysteriously went away. Is the software update via over the air or something (I never set up any wifi or anything on it)?

Oh the car is Shadow with a Canyon Tri tone interior, which I love.

Actually had thought I ordered deep blue of some type. In the interim I ended up getting another blue car, so I was not sure if I wanted 2. Also loved the Canyon interior and wife did not think it would look goo din the blue car.

Well the car arrives, and it is Inferno. Somehow I ordered Red. Odd, not that anything is wrong with inferno, just not my first choice, and I don't recall ordering that color (I checked my emails I certainly did). Anyway, I was then prepared to wait for a Shadow--which meant I would be waiting about 4 months.

There was one spoken for on the floor, which had not been picked up yet. I asked dealer to call customer to change to a red--figure it was free to try. Well customer changed mind altogether, so I took the Shadow off the floor (not a demo, although I would not have cared).

The local dealer seems overstocked with Eco Chic, and understocked with Sports. Apparently Fisker expected minority sport sales, and is seeing the opposite.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Congratulations. The tri-tone leather is so well done and luxurious it is hard to justify paying up for even high end cloth/fiber. Backlit switches on the wheel would be nice but drain the battery LOL

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
rosenblumr said:
ok stupid question,

yesterday the problems mysteriously went away. Is the software update via over the air or something (I never set up any wifi or anything on it)?

Oh the car is Shadow with a Canyon Tri tone interior, which I love.

Actually had thought I ordered deep blue of some type. In the interim I ended up getting another blue car, so I was not sure if I wanted 2. Also loved the Canyon interior and wife did not think it would look goo din the blue car.

Well the car arrives, and it is Inferno. Somehow I ordered Red. Odd, not that anything is wrong with inferno, just not my first choice, and I don't recall ordering that color (I checked my emails I certainly did). Anyway, I was then prepared to wait for a Shadow--which meant I would be waiting about 4 months.

There was one spoken for on the floor, which had not been picked up yet. I asked dealer to call customer to change to a red--figure it was free to try. Well customer changed mind altogether, so I took the Shadow off the floor (not a demo, although I would not have cared).

The local dealer seems overstocked with Eco Chic, and understocked with Sports. Apparently Fisker expected minority sport sales, and is seeing the opposite.

The Karma does not have WiFi and cannot be updated over-the-air (unfortunately). Updates are done at the dealership.

The problems with the command center are intermittent. There seems to be a 'race condition' which triggers the issues to occur; in other words, in isolation everything works fine but there are some circumstances where communications get disrupted or get out of sync that can lead to the issues. One known culprit is the USB port under the front armrest. For the time being, the smart advice is not to use it at all to help avoid some of these gremlins. Fisker is working furiously on tracking down and addressing the various problems people are having.

Shadow with Canyon is a gorgeous color combination, congratuations. I agree that it seems the vast majority of folks on here at least are ordering Sport models. The Chic model seems to have better sell-through in Europe, but Fisker hasn't received full European sales permission yet. The dealers also have a goodly number of EcoStandards on hand - while Fisker was having paint and leather supply issues they continued to make EcoStandards, so there are quite a few in stock around the country.

Post some pictures of your new Karma!

Brent

·
Registered
913 Posts
I suspect the reason they have extra EcoChic cars is that most people aren't willing to pay extra for the leather, and they had all that ruined leather (from the flood at Weir) and hence made more EC-s than ES-es initially.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I bought an EcoSport because I rather sit on a cow than on a rug.:D
The leaf in the transparent part of the centre console would have been nice.....But usd 8000 surcharge for a leaf is a bit much.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
flying dutchman said:
We have the artificial fabric in our Benz M-Class and it is actually pretty comfortable and seems very rugged. It also tolerates the dog a lot better. That's not an issue in the Karma, so I got the leather.

-- Fab.[hr]
3) Similar issue with Seat memory, although just when I thought it wasnt working, it seemed like it might have been, but only in accessory mode. Not sure it was exactly where I left it, but it did not go to position when I turned on car. Not sure if I set seat up in accessory mode or with car on (same with Sat Radio memory).
@rosenblumr: Welcome to the forum. I assume you are talking about the seat moving from easy entry/exit position into your stored driving position. If so, I have had some experience with seat memory so this may be helpful. First, make sure you have your primary Fob is setup and that you have saved your seat position with that Fob.

From time to time, when you turn the ACC mode on, the seat does not move back into the saved position. I have found that if you just turn the car off and back on again, the seat starts moving back into the correct position. If that does not work, turn on ACC mode and check the setting on the Easy Entry/Exit mode" and make sure it is enabled. Sometimes the setting reverts back to disabled with the seat out of position. Once it is enabled, the seat will move back into the stored position again.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum. Looking forward to hearing more about your Fisker Karma adventures, good and challenging both.

-- Fab.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well,

You are all right.

The radio preset buttons problems are back. They are intermittent. Hopefully this will be fixed soon, they tell me software update next week.

The seat adjustment thing is as described above. Seemed intermittent, but I think either on and off or perhaps the setting did get reset, will check on that next.

But 2 new problems today:

1) Started full/full. Drove about 20 miles. Electric gauge said 20 miles left. But suddenly it said I was out of gas. and only had 20 miles left total. Hmm odd. Perhaps the dealer never gave me gas, and the misread was that It said I had it when I didn't. When I got to 10 miles left of electric, and apparently zero gas, I went ahead and stopped for a refill.

Don't worry, I was pretty full as after about $1 in gas I was spilling all over the place. Get back in car, and it says full. Ok then.

2) When I get in car (just when I noticed I was supposedly out of gas), my side mirrors refused to adjust back to normal position. The button that was supposed to do that did nothing. I tried setting auto close mirrors off then "re booted" car, then reversed process. As of now I still have no side mirrors. Current plan is to wait till car sleeps then try again. I will try later. Don't really like driving a new car with no side mirrors. Found out later, that they do adjust manually. Moved driver side while driving, and passenger when I got home. But they moved to an odd location. If I moved the the next "click" the mirrors were WAAAAAY over turned. Huh, go figure.

Almost forgot, I am not using the USB connector in the arm rest. They told me about that at delivery, and put a rubber stopper in it to stop me.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
I put my seat in my desired position and went to the System/Settings/Interior/Memory Seat Position and touched on the Set button again, and now my 'Ease of Entry and Exit' works properly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
flying dutchman said:
The leaf in the transparent part of the centre console would have been nice.....But usd 8000 surcharge for a leaf is a bit much.
I bought an Eco Chic for the exact opposite reason. I won't buy, wear, drive, or eat anything made from animals. This is actually how I first came across the Karma. I was looking for a "green" luxury car with an animal free interior.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
flying dutchman said:
cbermudez8 said:
I bought an Eco Chic for the exact opposite reason. I won't buy, wear, drive, or eat anything made from animals. This is actually how I first came across the Karma. I was looking for a "green" luxury car with an animal free interior.
[ditto for me cber]

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have not eaten meat since 1984.
Still I ordered an ECOSPORT.
The extra money was a major factor.
So leather gets a bad mark (for pro-animal people).
Synthetic materials are mostly made from oil and coal so there is a ecologic down-side to these materials.
Leather is certainly dead cow material; however, leather is a byproduct of the meat industry and so the meat consumption of others generates the extra skin.
Ethics is complicated.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
In general, I think most dieticians will agree that Americans eat too much meat in their diet, particularly red meat. That being said, certain teeth are designed for dealing with meat.

·
Registered
781 Posts
kabalah70 said:
In general, I think most dieticians will agree that Americans eat too much meat in their diet, particularly red meat. That being said, certain teeth are designed for dealing with meat.
Meat's meat and a man's gotta eat :)

-B

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
kabalah70 said:
I'm conflicted.

Part of me wants to chide you for this post, which is clearly way off topic and open up a political/religious war that has nothing to do with the Karma or the original intent of this thread.

And part of me wants to say someting pithy, like "If God didn't want us to eat animals He wouldn't have made them out of meat."

Brent

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I think we spent most of our first 80 thousand years as humans hunting and eating primarily meat, why would I change what made us so successful? Stone age man had a diet of up to 80% meat (animal, bird and fish).
Anyway, I have found the Karma about as great for grocery trips as the Gallardo. It certainly is not a car for a Sams or Costco run. But, at least the base to our Orbit Baby stroller fits in the trunk (just barely). I think a bigger trunk is going to be needed in the Nina for it to be successful.
@kabalah70, you are correct, our teeth are made for chewing meat, They are somewhere in between herbiverous and carniverous in design.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Don't make me get in here and moderate. :D

-- Fab.

·
Registered
145 Posts
cbermudez8 said:
flying dutchman said:
I certainly respect the views of those who prefer not to use animal products and applaud them for their convictions even though I don not share the view so strongly. I thought it was a bit obnoxious to charge a significant amount of money more for the eco chic package just for the privilege of being able to shell out more money for the surcharge for additional colors!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts