Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even after an expensive and very difficult HVAC fix last year, I'm finding that the bottom center of the front windshield is fogging in summer weather (just above the windshield vent).

Harleyguy suggested directing all A/C to the feet, which does work, but better still would be some way of blocking the problem vent itself (about an inch wide, but maybe 30-40" long).

Has anyone out there found any object that does a good job of blocking the vent, or at least directing the cold air away from the windshield?

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Have you tried applying an anti-fog to the glass? It may help. I want a way to direct AC up the seat!

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'm sure it's hard on my battery, but living in heat with only 7% humidity is probably helping me not experience this Karma problem.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: I took a thin plastic cutting board (kitchen type) and cut it to fit in as a temporary fix, but in doing this I took a better look inside the vent and found that something (a screen?) had detached and fallen out of place in there, which is clearly the problem.

It cost thousands to fix another problem with this same vent a year ago (HVAC module), so hopefully Harleyguy has a solution that doesn't involve major surgery.

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Update: I took a thin plastic cutting board (kitchen type) and cut it to fit in as a temporary fix, but in doing this I took a better look inside the vent and found that something (a screen?) had detached and fallen out of place in there, which is clearly the problem.

It cost thousands to fix another problem with this same vent a year ago (HVAC module), so hopefully Harleyguy has a solution that doesn't involve major surgery.
Giant tweezer set from Harbor Freight? Could you fix it using those and a few tools should get you started in the right direction.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took car in today for a look, and was told that my HVAC was broken in the same way as it was before I paid $3500 or so to fix it a year ago, so this post has taken on additional importance to the community, to wit:

IF YOU HAVE A WINDSHIELD FOGGING PROBLEM, DO NOT PAY $3000++ TO REPLACE YOUR HVAC MODULE, BECAUSE A FAULTY COMPUTER PART IS ALSO INVOLVED, AND THAT PART ISN'T AVAILABLE, SO THE PROBLEM WILL JUST RE-OCCUR.
REPLACING THE HVAC MODULE IS A WASTE OF MONEY.

I'm told many owners have the fogging problem, more so in the hotter states like Florida, but the "solution" is to block the top vent, either with a towel resting on top of the vent (the cheap fix), or by taking the works apart and blocking it from within (the more aesthetic, but also more expensive, fix). As for myself, I bought a "craftsman tool box liner" from Sears for $11 today, which has the thickness of a computer mouse pad, and I'm attempting to cut it to fit inside the top of the vent as a cheap/aesthetic fix. I'll update to let y'all know how it goes.

·
Acura Vent Slider
4 Posts
How to fix a foggy windshield

Step by step instructions to FIX A FOGGY WINDSHIELD

Mist can be cleared numerous ways. While there is no expert arrangement that works the best inevitably, there are two basic procedures that are liable to work truly well.

DRY OUT THE AIR

Contingent upon your solace levels, the better choice could be to run the A/C. We prescribe utilizing this strategy when temperatures outside are above cold and the haze is brought on by wet, moist people inside the auto. Running the A/C on chilly is ideal, however you can turn the dial to a hotter temperature while as yet running the air-con and still get great results.

Vanish THE WATER VAPOR

For a typically snappy and simple fix, run heat through your defrosters and it will bring about the buildup to dissipate kind of like how a garments dryer utilizes warmth to vanish dampness. This technique more often than not functions admirably when you find the haze developing at an opportune time and when the temperatures are cool.

For to a great degree foggy windshields, you can utilize a dry material or little squeegee to rapidly clear the mist and after that run the air-con on icy. In the event that running the air-con on icy makes you too nippy, then gradually build the temperature until the air dries out inside your auto. Keep in mind when attempting to become scarce the air inside your auto to acquire outside air as opposed to circling inside air. Most autos these days do this naturally when the defrosters are on.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I promised an update, and I think I've found a better fix.

1st attempt: I used a thin plastic cutting board wedged against the actual windshield to direct air away from the window. Not pretty.

2nd attempt: I took a neoprene material and cut it to fit inside the vent (the long vent under the front windshield). It wasn't heavy enough, so the air pushed past it. I was going to cut a second layer of the neoprene, but I noticed that there is a very thin crack where I could push something in to be held in place if it was thin enough.

Remembering the cutting board from attempt #1 , I cut it into a smaller strip, and fed it into the crack so that most of it was out of sight (for location of this crack, and to see what the cutting board material looks like, see attachment). This took some trial and error because in some places where the surfaces meet, there are obstructions, and the plastic needed to be cut to get around these.

With the plastic wedged in along the entire length of the vent, I put the neoprene level back on top to cover everything, and against the black dashboard material, it looks pretty decent. Second attachment shows the neoprene material, pulled back to reveal the white plastic wedged in (even with the pictures it's hard to explain, but hopefully it makes some sense).

Other notes: that little dome on the right side of this vent (the passenger side) is a light sensor, so don't cover that up. Fix requires lots of patience, but this DYI fix could save you $3000.

Attachments

·
Acura Vent Slider
4 Posts
AC Windshield Fogging

When you turn your HVAC to defrost the front window, it turns the A/C on, so if it is on long enough it will fog up the lower part of the window, especially on humid days because there is so much moisture in the air. To combat this issue turn the temp up a little bit so it doesn't get so cold, or like everyone else says take it off of defrost mode.

This is normal behaviour, nothing to worry about, it just means your car's A/C is strong and working.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
When you turn your HVAC to defrost the front window, it turns the A/C on, so if it is on long enough it will fog up the lower part of the window, especially on humid days because there is so much moisture in the air. To combat this issue turn the temp up a little bit so it doesn't get so cold, or like everyone else says take it off of defrost mode.

This is normal behaviour, nothing to worry about, it just means your car's A/C is strong and working.
You don't have a clue what your talking about. You other posts make no sense either

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts

You don't have a clue what your talking about. You other posts make no sense either
I suspect it's a 'bot, but there is no obvious advertising or spam and I can't be certain, which is why I have not deleted the account.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
I suspect it's a 'bot, but there is no obvious advertising or spam and I can't be certain, which is why I have not deleted the account.
Fab,

I'm virtually certain it's a bot now. Some quick googling of "Martinadam" and "Acura Vent Slider" and you'll see posts on car forums for BMW, Scion, Acura, Chevy and others with similar, nonsensical content all from accounts created the same day as the account here. In some of the posts the bot is directing people to a website. I don't feel like hosting any malware or joining a botnet so I didn't click on any of them. I think it's a sophisticated spoof, and I suspect the motive is more nefarious than commercial spam.

SO, whaddya say, @Martinadam - wanna reply and pass the Turing test after all or would you like to be shown the door?

Brent

1 - 15 of 15 Posts