Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's about 90 deg F today, and the Karma's very strong A/C unit was doing its usual great job chilling the air. In fact it got cool enough that I turned off the A/C (confirmed by the disappearance of the blue coloring from the temperature dial)... but the air remained cool (probably just as cool) for the rest of the drive, more than 30 minutes! About 15 minutes after turning off the A/C, I realized something odd was happening and pressed the OFF button on the climate screen. Both the red (heat) and blue (A/C) colors were now gone. But when I bumped the fan up to 1, the air blowing out was STILL quite cold-- comparable to when the A/C was on. During the entire 45-min drive the cabin remained at ~72 deg F or lower.

Very odd. When it's hot outside does the air flowing in to the cabin pass by cooling elements other than the A/C (e.g., cooling elements used to cool the other systems in the car)? Or is this a bug?

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
drliu said:
It's about 90 deg F today, and the Karma's very strong A/C unit was doing its usual great job chilling the air. In fact it got cool enough that I turned off the A/C (confirmed by the disappearance of the blue coloring from the temperature dial)... but the air remained cool (probably just as cool) for the rest of the drive, more than 30 minutes! About 15 minutes after turning off the A/C, I realized something odd was happening and pressed the OFF button on the climate screen. Both the red (heat) and blue (A/C) colors were now gone. But when I bumped the fan up to 1, the air blowing out was STILL quite cold-- comparable to when the A/C was on. During the entire 45-min drive the cabin remained at ~72 deg F or lower.

Very odd. When it's hot outside does the air flowing in to the cabin pass by cooling elements other than the A/C (e.g., cooling elements used to cool the other systems in the car)? Or is this a bug?
I am pretty sure I read somewhere, but can't find it right now, that some part of the A/C system is pretty much always on to keep the HV battery at optimum temperature. The cool air in the cabin may just be a bonus.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fab-- that would explain everything. The A/C is so effective (capable of literally causing a substantial layer of ice to form on the inside bottom center of my windshield!) that I wouldn't be surprised if even a "low HV battery maintenance" mode was still able to cool the cabin adequately.

Can someone else please confirm that even if they turn their A/C off on a warm day while driving that cold air continues to blow from the vents? Thanks!

Fabulist said:
drliu said:

I am pretty sure I read somewhere, but can't find it right now, that some part of the A/C system is pretty much always on to keep the HV battery at optimum temperature. The cool air in the cabin may just be a bonus.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
But why during AC Mode On sometimes you I get regular outside air blowing and then it goes back to AC mode?

·
Registered
87 Posts
drliu said:
Thanks Fab-- that would explain everything. The A/C is so effective (capable of literally causing a substantial layer of ice to form on the inside bottom center of my windshield!) that I wouldn't be surprised if even a "low HV battery maintenance" mode was still able to cool the cabin adequately.

Can someone else please confirm that even if they turn their A/C off on a warm day while driving that cold air continues to blow from the vents? Thanks!

Fabulist said:
drliu said:

Yes, I have the same. I was also wondering about that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts