Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to start off by saying that my Karma will have 60,000 miles by the end of this week!!! (It's at 59,960 now)

I used to have a PDF of what was to be performed/checked at each of the service intervals. No idea what I've done with it. So if anyone could let me know what the 60k service entails, I'd appreciate it. It's a bit of a road trip to the nearest service center in Atlanta (4 hours), but I knew that when I bought the car. Sounds like I'm going to Six Flags :D

Now onto the less cool stuff.

I get a faint squeak coming from the rear of the car whenever I accelerate. The squeak happens at all speeds, regardless of driving mode. Whether I'm crawling through a parking lot, or passing someone on the interstate, it chirps when I hit the accelerator.

Also, I get a clicking sound whenever I decelerate from speeds greater than ~35 mph. But what makes the noise even weirder is that it's not right when I hit the brakes. For example, if I'm cruising at 40, and I start to brake for a red light, I don't hear the click until the car reaches about 20ish mph. And it's just ONE click. Could also be described as a pop, and it appears to only be coming from the driver's side front tire.

I did some research and found that the lug nuts as well as the contact point between the back of the wheel and rotor face can cause some noises like the clicking, so I'll be pulling all the wheels off tonight to attempt that fix. While I have the wheels off, does anyone know of anything I can check and/or grease along the lines of steering components or suspension?

Thanks in advance for any advice at all!

·
Registered
189 Posts
....Also, I get a clicking sound whenever I decelerate from speeds greater than ~35 mph. But what makes the noise even weirder is that it's not right when I hit the brakes. For example, if I'm cruising at 40, and I start to brake for a red light, I don't hear the click until the car reaches about 20ish mph. And it's just ONE click. Could also be described as a pop, and it appears to only be coming from the driver's side front tire.

I did some research and found that the lug nuts as well as the contact point between the back of the wheel and rotor face can cause some noises like the clicking, so I'll be pulling all the wheels off tonight to attempt that fix. While I have the wheels off, does anyone know of anything I can check and/or grease along the lines of steering components or suspension?
Unfortunately, sounds like motor bearings as it mirrors an issue I had around two years ago. It is expensive work and FiskerPhilly had to pull my motors at around 3kmi...so I guess you're lucky you lasted 60kmi if it's the same issue. Maybe he'll chime in or you can PM him about my specific issues and resolution. I would drive the car minimally if you can until resolution as continued use makes the problem worse (I know from experience).

The wheel lug "clicking" sound was an issue on several cars especially while turning and I think it's resolved with just tightening the lugs.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Check the clearance between the rear shock springs and the shocks they tend to shift in the saddle and cause noises . The saddle is flat most manufacturers make the saddle fit the spring not like that on the Karma

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Several things that can loosen. Check the 4 large rear subframe bolts that go up to the body 17 or 18mm. Also the 4 cradle nuts/bolts that hold the RDM to the subframe (large 21 or 22mm wrench) Also check the 2 rear axle nuts out at the wheels large 27 or 30mm socket. Also the inner axle he bolts can loosen and cause similar noise.
Worst case it's the splines about to shear on the rear tration motor. Sorry but I had to mention that one...

·
Registered
189 Posts
In regards to the 60k Service it is considered a "B Service":

Underhood:
1. Inspect Engine Compartment (inspect all fluids: washer fluid)
2. Replace Oil/Filter
3. Replace Break Fluid
4. Coolant (5yr/150k mi)
5. Check air filter
6. Replace cabin filter
7. Check harnesses, hoses, cables
8. Check and record 12v SOC

Under vehicle:
1.Check for leaks
2.Inspect for corrosion
3.Check cables and hoses
4.Inspect fuel system
5.Inspect exhaust
6.Inspect driveshaft, seals, cv joints, and gaiters
7.Inspect steering
8.Inspect tires/alignment, Breaks, Halfshaft, Shocks
9.Lube

---at 50kmi---
Replace powersteering fluid
Replace air filter
Replace differentail oil

Run Diagnostics

·
Registered
18 Posts
Several things that can loosen. Check the 4 large rear subframe bolts that go up to the body 17 or 18mm. Also the 4 cradle nuts/bolts that hold the RDM to the subframe (large 21 or 22mm wrench) Also check the 2 rear axle nuts out at the wheels large 27 or 30mm socket. Also the inner axle he bolts can loosen and cause similar noise.
Worst case it's the splines about to shear on the rear tration motor. Sorry but I had to mention that one...
This is where I had a squeak on acceleration, or a speed-bump so it rocked the drive axle back and forth. It was the 29mm axle nut. Tightening this stopped the squeak. Until the inboard bolts came out from an incompetent shop leaving them loose.:huh:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is there a 30K miles list?
The 30k Service checklist is the same and it is also considered a "B Service" with the additional procedure to "replace the break fluid".

The breakdown is as follows:

A service at: 5k
B service is at: 10, 30, 40, 60, 70, and 90k
C service is at: 20, 50, 80, 100k (same as B procedures just adds Inspection of Fuel and Exhaust System)

20k - replace: cabin filter
30k - replace: brake fluid
50k - replace: power steering fluid, air filter, diff oil
100k - replace spark plugs
5yr/150k - replace coolant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts